Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Amothers over 35yo, did you go anywhere for winter vacation?
1  2  3  Next

Did you go on an overnight trip during winter vacation when you were young?
I’m over 35 and yes  
 11%  [ 22 ]
I’m over 35 and no  
 53%  [ 101 ]
I’m under 35 and and yes  
 7%  [ 15 ]
I’m under 35 and no  
 23%  [ 44 ]
Other  
 3%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 188

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 5:51 am
About 35 anyway. Growing up, I had one girl in my elementary class who every went anywhere during winter vacation. It was to Florida and her grandparents lived there. Everyone might have done day trips here and there, but not go anywhere. Is this a somewhat new phenomena to go places?

Edited to add a poll

Last edited by yo'ma on Fri, Jan 21 2022, 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total

carrot

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 5:54 am
Do you mean if we went anywhere as kids?

My family growing up definitely did not.

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 5:56 am
Yes. Age 44. Miami or Orlando. My dad worked like a dog so he didn’t come but my mom took us. Wonderful memories.

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 6:16 am
Nope

amother
Mayflower

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 6:16 am
When I was growing up? No.

amother
Garnet

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 6:24 am
Only once my grandmother lived in Florida and my mother would bring me along when she went to visit her. Just the Two of us, not the whole family, and no shticky vacation activities

watergirl

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 6:58 am
I’m 40. We never went away really, maybe once or twice in the summer and only as far as we could drive. We did go to Disney World when I was maybe four, but I have no memory of it and no pictures.

But, I went to a school with some very wealthy families and many kids did go away. The in thing was to go skiing; I remember everyone leaving their ski lift passes on their zippers as long as possible. Winter break was two weeks and I had to go to “winter camp” because my parents worked. It was fine.

amother
Acacia

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 7:10 am
I’m 40 and I went to Bais Yaakov of Monsey. Some of the rich girls went to Florida and some girls went skiing for a day or two, ski lift tags as PP said

amother
Lightyellow

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 7:10 am
We drove to NY to visit our grandparents. I remember my dad once (and only once, because he couldn't stand the crowds) taking us into the city to see the department store windows- our winter break was the last week in December. I agree that skiing was the thing. The people who had grandparents in Florida went, and the people who had real money went to the Bonaventure in Florida for Pesach.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 7:16 am
I'm 35 exactly. And I only remember going on a midwinter trip twice. It was Florida both times. Once to Disney. And once to universal.

More important, was the week between camp and school when we went on a trips, 3 stick out in my head, Wildwood, NJ. Niagara Falls. And Golden Acres Farm and Ranch. I'm sure we did more.. but that's what I recall

amother
Ultramarine

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 7:23 am
Yes we went to Florida

amother
Maize

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 7:40 am
I don't think this is so much of an age, or "generational" thing, as a money thing. People with more money travel more than people with less money. Always has been that way.

I don't think it's more "common" these days, as it's not really more affordable these days.
People might just be flashier about it because of social media, you might see more people's pictures traveling for winter vacation, but I don't think it happens more today than back then.

miami85

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 7:42 am
My mother was a public school teacher and we often went to visit my grandfather/step-grandmother (he passed when I was 9) and my married siblings in NY ( I grew up OOT), nothing exotic or particularly exciting/resort etc. In high school not winter vacation necessarily but I did take a trip to visit a camp friend--but I think it was Memorial Day weekend. There did come a point when I was in high school and my winter vacation didn't coincide with my mother's anyway that my parents decided that between shabbatons, midterms and plays etc, I should not go anywhere during winter vacation and just relax/lay low during my midwinter break.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 7:47 am
I’m 32. I went away almost every year, first grade through twelfth. Usually to Miami, where my grandparents went for the winter, but once we went to Orlando and once I went to LA with friends. The one year we didn’t go away mid winter, we went to Israel later in the year.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 7:59 am
I'm 38 and grew up OOT. We went every winter break to visit my grandparents and cousins in New York. I had a friend who went to Florida every year and that was definitely not the norm in my circles.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 8:05 am
Im 30
When I was a child my family did go away but it was minority in my class. Most people stayed home. Now my children’s classes so many people go away!

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 8:09 am
Never for winter break. It just wasnt a thing. Parents still had to work.
we went on a summer break maybe 3 times within 20 years.
But never winter break. We hung out and hoped for snow Smile

paperflowers

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 8:23 am
I voted no (under 35) but we did go skiing once or twice and once or twice flew to visit my grandparents (not Florida)

amother
Clematis

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 8:30 am
I grew up in Brooklyn. The most we did during winter break was going to Manhattan with my grandmother. I never went away anywhere as a kid. (We did go up to the Catskills in the summer though, if that counts.)

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 8:43 am
This whole thing is new. It's just another symptom of the alarming rise of gashmiyus in the frum community, right along with the swelling kallah gifts, the obscenely bloated simchas, the ever more lavish houses and all the other tumescent materialistic expectations that are plaguing our communities and sending those who cannot afford such excess into tightening spirals of envy, debt, desperation and depression.

My children are in their 30s and while I suppose that here and there a wealthy classmate or two may have gone away sometimes, it was a luxury for the rich, not an accepted "thing."

And in the Stone Age when I was in school, we didn't even have midwinter vacation. We got two days off for Chanuka, that's all. Intersession didn't start till high school. "Vacation" was for the summer, when going to a bungalow colony was a common thing, though by no means a universal one; a winter "vacation" was a foreign concept. Parents had to work, you know? Even the ones with money.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics