Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Extra dose of routine childhood vaccine in error

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 9:46 am
Due to a computer glitch, my 12 year old daughter ended up getting an extra dose of Hepatits A vaccine.
As per the doctor, this should not have any adverse affect but of course I can't stop worrying and googling.
According to Google I see this is not a live virus vaccine, so I'm happy about that. As per the CDC it says extra doses are not dangerous.
It's been a few days and BH she has no side affects other than a regular sore arm.

Has anyone ever had a child getting any kind of extra vaccine in error ?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 9:48 am
My child had two extra dtaps and I know a child who got the shingles vaccine by mistake and that's like a super chicken pox booster.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:08 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
My child had two extra dtaps and I know a child who got the shingles vaccine by mistake and that's like a super chicken pox booster.

Thanks. Im assuming no adverse effects on either of them ?

English3

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:11 am
If you want to feel calmer you can go to a health food store they may have something that can move it out of the body faster.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:12 am
My niece got a whole extra set of vaccines in error. No adverse effects BH but still super upsetting.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:13 am
my son got a double dose accidentally years ago (when he was under 2 - cant remember exactly)
I was a nervous wreck but other than a sore leg there were no ramifications B"H!!
duplicate dose was given about a week after instead of a different one that we came in for

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:15 am
Depends on the vaccine but sometimes higher risk kids (certain illnesses) or kids on a catch up schedule end up getting extra or more doses as per the official vaccination schedule.
I wouldn't assume she would have repercussions. Ask your doc if you notice something. I have gotten extra tdaps (and not pregnant) because they couldnt pull up my records... I had sliced myself so they were worried about tetanus when they did stitches. Their mantra was if you cant remember exactly when then we give you an extra.

amother
Peru

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:15 am
My child got a tremendous amount of extra vaccines in error as a baby.

HepB
DTaP
Hib
Polio
Pneumococcal disease
Rotavirus

Today she has an auto immune disease. It is also genetic tor a family. But sometimes I wonder if it brought it out.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:23 am
English3 wrote:
If you want to feel calmer you can go to a health food store they may have something that can move it out of the body faster.

Any clue what I'd ask for ?

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:31 am
I really wouldn't be concerned. Hep A used to be a 3 dose vaccine and is now a 2 dose.
I've seen mistakes happen with giving an extra dose of vaccine (I work in healthcare).
I've never seen any ill side effects.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Due to a computer glitch, my 12 year old daughter ended up getting an extra dose of Hepatits A vaccine.
As per the doctor, this should not have any adverse affect but of course I can't stop worrying and googling.
According to Google I see this is not a live virus vaccine, so I'm happy about that. As per the CDC it says extra doses are not dangerous.
It's been a few days and BH she has no side affects other than a regular sore arm.

Has anyone ever had a child getting any kind of extra vaccine in error ?

Was she given both doses at the same appointment? Or was this a year or so later?

I'd be a lot more concerned on a lot of fronts if the former. In terms of doctors not paying attention to what they are doing, and in terms or receiving a double dose at one time.

But if at a long interval, vaccines are cleared from your body in a matter of days or weeks, so she should be OK. Just keep an eye on her for a few days.

Good luck.

finprof

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:44 am
Don't stress. It happened to me too.
I'm 40 so I was part of the generation that transitioned from all paper digital files. During the transition, there was a massive fire and all of my nondigitized medical records were lost. A year later I moved and the new school district would not accept the copies of my records from the old school district, they wanted them directly from the Dr...and most of those records were gone.... so I got more than 50% of my shots again. I survived with no issues. My mom, on the other hand, went slightly crazy with her record keeping as a result, LOL.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 11:25 am
amother [ Ghostwhite ] wrote:
I really wouldn't be concerned. Hep A used to be a 3 dose vaccine and is now a 2 dose.
I've seen mistakes happen with giving an extra dose of vaccine (I work in healthcare).
I've never seen any ill side effects.

Thank you for that!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 11:27 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Was she given both doses at the same appointment? Or was this a year or so later?

I'd be a lot more concerned on a lot of fronts if the former. In terms of doctors not paying attention to what they are doing, and in terms or receiving a double dose at one time.

But if at a long interval, vaccines are cleared from your body in a matter of days or weeks, so she should be OK. Just keep an eye on her for a few days.

Good luck.

No, she got her second dose about 9 years ago and now at 12 a third dose. She went for her 12 year old meningitis vaccine and the system prompted the doctor saying she is due for dose two of the Hep A. So we gave it. Later on when I printed her records it showed it was actually her third dose. For some reason at the time of the appointment it showed dose number two as missing.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 10:05 pm
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
My child got a tremendous amount of extra vaccines in error as a baby.

HepB
DTaP
Hib
Polio
Pneumococcal disease
Rotavirus

Today she has an auto immune disease. It is also genetic tor a family. But sometimes I wonder if it brought it out.

How did this happen?

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 8:28 am
Sunny Days wrote:
How did this happen?

I understood her post to mean even one vaccine is extra not that the child actually received extra doses. Of course let that poster respond, but that's how I read it.

4sure

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 8:32 am
My then 4 yo got an extra set of vaccines. Needless to say I was miserable but nothing to do about it just pray. He’s doing fine now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics