Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Amothers over 35yo, did you go anywhere for winter vacation?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Did you go on an overnight trip during winter vacation when you were young?
I’m over 35 and yes  
 11%  [ 22 ]
I’m over 35 and no  
 53%  [ 101 ]
I’m under 35 and and yes  
 7%  [ 15 ]
I’m under 35 and no  
 23%  [ 44 ]
Other  
 3%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 188

amother
Crocus

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 9:08 am
My mother was a stay at home mother and took us to local kiddie trips.
I remember asking her why we didn't have school that day and not quite understanding what the point of this "vacation" was, but we had a good time.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 9:20 am
We always went to Miami. We were poor and stayed either by my grandparents or in a motel. Everyone I know went away winter break. Some went to the Fontainebleau or the Alexander (?), many went to Puerto Rico, some went to Vail, or California. Only like 2 poor families stayed home.

I unfortunately did not have a clue how privileged I was as it was such a given and our vacation was at the very bottom. I was not rude or disrespectful, but I didn’t view it as the special treat it was.

Edited to clarify. We were not poor, we always had food and everything we needed, but relative to my peers, I felt poor. Our home was tidy but very small and dated. We could not afford the many wants ALL my classmates had. (The fancy trapper keepers, real Keds, Benetton Rugby/Champion brand sweatshirt, non-loser knapsack…..)
Additionally, tickets to Florida were not expensive-I remember my mom on the phone for hours getting great deals, and we stayed by my grandparents or inexpensive motels which you booked for the week, blocks from the beach, not on Collins Ave.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 9:42 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
We always went to Miami. We were poor and stayed either by my grandparents or in a motel. Everyone I know went away winter break. Some went to the Fontainebleau or the Alexander (?), many went to Puerto Rico, some went to Vail, or California. Only like 2 poor families stayed home.

I unfortunately did not have a clue how privileged I was as it was such a given and our vacation was at the very bottom. I was not rude or disrespectful, but I didn’t view it as the special treat it was.

If you went on an annual vacation, by definition you were not poor.

justforfun87

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 9:47 am
Ok I voted but need to reframe. Baltimore BY the vacation I believe was over President's weekend if I recall correctly. We did go to Florida but not because we were wealthy but because we were visiting grandparents who lived there.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 9:56 am
I grew up way way wealthier than I can ever hope to be now. We went nowhere.

Now, we go on 3 day hotel stay (driving) vacation every summer.

And once every few years, we go to Florida in the winter.

We are not rich as so many posters seem to be saying. Far far far from it. But my husband accrued thousands and thousands of points through his work-related travel and we use points for hotel stays, car rentals, and airfare. Do we have to pay out of pocket? Yes, some. But not nearly as much as people here indicate. And going away as a family is important enough of a value to us that we save in other ways.

There are a lot of people who are savvy with the points system and use that to enjoy travel. It is not necessarily a mark of the wealthy or of how dare people spending beyond their means.

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 10:04 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I grew up way way wealthier than I can ever hope to be now. We went nowhere.

Now, we go on 3 day hotel stay (driving) vacation every summer.

And once every few years, we go to Florida in the winter.

We are not rich as so many posters seem to be saying. Far far far from it. But my husband accrued thousands and thousands of points through his work-related travel and we use points for hotel stays, car rentals, and airfare. Do we have to pay out of pocket? Yes, some. But not nearly as much as people here indicate. And going away as a family is important enough of a value to us that we save in other ways.

There are a lot of people who are savvy with the points system and use that to enjoy travel. It is not necessarily a mark of the wealthy or of how dare people spending beyond their means.

Exactly. I did not grow up rich AT ALL. Our clothes were from Kmart and Caldor. We didn’t stay in rented homes; we stayed in the old school Collins Ave hotels that often included kosher hotels. And our activities were free: pools, beach and boardwalk. Even when we wen for Disney (which we can all agree is a hugely expensive trip) we stayed at the cheapest $39/night days inn that you could find. We didn’t go t restaurants: we brought food from NY in our suitcases! Bottom
Line, travel was (and still is) important to my family. We eschew luxuries most other families consider necessities so we travel (as smartly as possible) as often as we can afford. Some people prefer household help (we have none) or 2 cars or a large home (we live in tiny tiny tiny apt) We prefer to use our extra $ toward travel.

SDmother

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 10:30 am
35. Went to Florida (Miami or Orlando) almost every year.

amother
Rainbow

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 10:31 am
I am well over 35, in my day the $$$ kids always did but the rest of us went around locally with friends. Today I notice parents take the kids places more than back then.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 10:34 am
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
I’m 40 and I went to Bais Yaakov of Monsey. Some of the rich girls went to Florida and some girls went skiing for a day or two, ski lift tags as PP said

I'm 45 and went to BYM. I knew one or two girls who went skiing with their families. I don't recall anyone who went to Florida. If they did, it was much quieter.

The big deal was going to NYC with a few friends.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 10:41 am
I am 38 in elementary school we did not go anywhere. My parents income yoyoed a lot. We went on some vacations with the extended family mostly in middle and high school and later college. My grandmother on one side took us all two years in a row because she was sick and was not sure how many years she would live. She outlived their prediction for many years. My grandparents on my mothers side took the whole family away to some really strange places in high school and college. A mix of warm and cold. They were fun but also a lot of drama.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 10:41 am
Almost 35, we usually went away but there might have been times we didn't now and then for whatever reason. Sometimes we went skiing, sometimes we went somewhere warm (Florida, Carribean), sometimes EY. I also grew up in a pretty wealthy community so pretty much everyone went away. If you didn't, it was usually because of some sort of scheduling conflict like a Simcha you had to be around for or something.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 10:53 am
My grandmother ran a daycare, can you guess were my siblings and I ended up on winter break?

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 10:58 am
I’m 38 and we mostly did staycations but a few years we did go on plane trips to DisneyWorld. The wealthy girls went away every year.

What I’m noticing now is that it used to be only the very wealthy who went away for Pesach but now it’s becoming very common.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 11:06 am
I wonder if more and more of us are starting to have parents/grandparents/cousins in Florida to go visit so if you have a free place to stay it becomes a much less expensive trip.

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 11:12 am
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
I’m 38 and we mostly did staycations but a few years we did go on plane trips to DisneyWorld. The wealthy girls went away every year.

What I’m noticing now is that it used to be only the very wealthy who went away for Pesach but now it’s becoming very common.

Actually it’s the opposite. Pesach used to me so much more affordable then then now! The programs were also largely more basic (Though full disclosure, BH we went away then and now)

imacoolmom

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 11:21 am
I’m 39, grew up in Brooklyn. My parents were average income but we went on a lot of vacations and I’m guessing it’s because there was only me and my sister so they could afford more and maybe bec my parents were not normal crazy frugal In every single other aspect. ( we’re talking children of Holocaust survivors) I remember a lot of my classmates went away not all rich though.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 1:27 pm
amother [ Rainbow ] wrote:
I am well over 35, in my day the $$$ kids always did but the rest of us went around locally with friends. Today I notice parents take the kids places more than back then.

I didn’t even think of it as a rich or poor thing. It was more of a mentality. I went to California (from NY) for many summer vacations because my grandparents lived there. Summer break is not like winter break because it’s so much shorter, no comparison, in my opnion.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 2:04 pm
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
Actually it’s the opposite. Pesach used to me so much more affordable then then now! The programs were also largely more basic (Though full disclosure, BH we went away then and now)

I didn’t say that it got more affordable just that it seems that more people are going away. Many are doing the villa in Orlando option.

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 2:06 pm
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
I didn’t say that it got more affordable just that it seems that more people are going away. Many are doing the villa in Orlando option.

Ah I hear you. The industry has certainly mushroomed. I remember the simpler times so fondly lol

amother
Red

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 2:12 pm
amother [ Maize ] wrote:
I don't think this is so much of an age, or "generational" thing, as a money thing. People with more money travel more than people with less money. Always has been that way.

I don't think it's more "common" these days, as it's not really more affordable these days.
People might just be flashier about it because of social media, you might see more people's pictures traveling for winter vacation, but I don't think it happens more today than back then.

I totally disagree. I send my kids to the same school I went to. We have a short midwinter not a whole yeshiva week and when I was a kid no one went away. The excitement was coming back with your snow tubing tag on your coat. That was sooo cool and if you didn’t have it you felt left out. Now there’s a nice amount of kids that go to Florida a lot go to more local hotels. It’s definitely not all maybe not even most but way more then when I was a kid.
I’m exactly 35 so not sure where I fall on the poll.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics