Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
PLEASE DONT TAKE CARE OF ME! I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 12:45 pm
BIG GIRL HERE!
And im here to tell you that I can take care of myself thank you. So no need to FORCE me to give money you will so kindly put aside for me till im old.(social security.) Or mandate vaccines.

amother
Chicory

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 12:46 pm
You know the Social Security you put away is not for you. It’s for other people, ho are old now. By the time you’re old there will be none.
If you want money for when your old, put it away yourself.

Please go live on an island, by yourself. Or with other like-minded people. You’ll be much happier there rather than as part of our current society

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 12:49 pm
So you won’t ever call the fire department, or police, or ambulance. Whose roads will you drive on? Whose sidewalks will you walk on? How will you send and receive mail? What Hospital Will you go to when you’re sick?

Your post is ridiculous.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 12:50 pm
amother [ Chicory ] wrote:
You know the Social Security you put away is not for you. It’s for other people, ho are old now. By the time you’re old there will be none.
If you want money for when your old, put it away yourself.

see ill give the money straight to MY old folk. Why do I need to give it to the government?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 12:59 pm
amother [ Charcoal ] wrote:
So you won’t ever call the fire department, or police, or ambulance. Whose roads will you drive on? Whose sidewalks will you walk on? How will you send and receive mail? What Hospital Will you go to when you’re sick?

Your post is ridiculous.

I pay taxes for all those things. Im not against taxes im against the government telling me they care about me so much thats why they are worried that im not saveing money or takeing care of my health.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 1:00 pm
If everyone were responsible enough to get themselves vaccinated and manage their finances, they wouldn't have to be babied.

The truth is, when people are not responsible for themselves, ultimately the burden falls on everyone else and at that point it is much worse to deal with. So instead everyone gets babied.

amother
Molasses

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 1:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
see ill give the money straight to MY old folk. Why do I need to give it to the government?

Not all old folk have children. You know that don't you.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 1:02 pm
Because most people cannot and will not be able to take care of themselves without a safety net.

Right now, the "magic number" for retirement seems to about $1.7 million. And that's with social security. Without it, probably $2.5 million, or more. And that's not including the extra costs of being frum.

If you've got it, kol hakavod.

meme6

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 1:12 pm
Well I gotta say I agree with OP start collecting later my daughter started working and so much of her paycheck goes to taxes she comes home so down from it. Now she sees why people do cash jobs I agree with her.

amother
Navyblue

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 1:29 pm
meme6 wrote:
Well I gotta say I agree with OP start collecting later my daughter started working and so much of her paycheck goes to taxes she comes home so down from it. Now she sees why people do cash jobs I agree with her.

IMHO- it encourages government hand outs rather than hard work and effort

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 1:40 pm
Sad to say while they profess they will they will not so Dw

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 1:40 pm
meme6 wrote:

And then when people don't pay their taxes, they go up for everyone else. Aside from this being selfish, it's stealing, lying, and against the Torah. You agree with those things?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 1:49 pm
You are so right op- no one is as careful about someone else’s money than we are about our own hard earned income.
Yes taxes for the basics the rest of it is disgustingly wasteful at best.
Community minded? Does that include payouts of $450000 to each illegal immigrant family smuggled across our border?

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 8:24 am
If you're not happy with society, you can always drop out completely.

Years ago, before DD was born, I had done a ton of research about going off the grid. There is so much info out there, and so many new technologies like better solar power, better insulation, better irrigation of crops, having your own water pump, etc.

It takes a good 3 to 5 years of investment and hard work to get established. Most people would say 5 to 10 years to be fully self sufficient. It just depends on how many conveniences you want.

People in the Ozarks have been living simple lives for generations, and they owe no money to anyone.

Obviously this is not idea for everyone. It wasn't for me, but the research was fascinating. Maybe start a frum commune with a goal of self sufficiency?

Another way to go off the grid is to become an ex-pat in a country where you can work for cash, and the cost of living is very low. A lot of people like Thailand for that.

amother
Viola

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 8:41 am
I don't live in the US, I live in Israel.
Here up until recently, people who worked for any sort of institution were 'forced' to pay into their pension, and the employer was also forced. People who owned businesses were not forced.
(I do believe they just changed that, or are changing it).

Do you know how many people I know who worked as עצמאיים /business owners for years, and didn't bother saving for retirement? Do you know what happens to these people when they get old? The few that are rich, great for them. The rest become a burden on society.

Apparently not everyone is like you and can 'take care of themselves'. So better force everyone to take care of themselves when they are still able, then have society be forced to take care of them when they are old and feeble.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 9:00 am
A word about SSDI (disability.) CVS you should ever need it.

When I was younger I used to happily work 60 hours a week. Then I had enough energy to do gardening or go out dancing with my friends on the weekend. Sometimes I took my dogs to compete in shows. I was always on the go.

I had a LOT of money in savings. Eventually I was financially stable, owned a home, and was ready to have a child. I adopted DD ($15,000 in legal bills alone.) and first few years everything was great.

Then I came down with a virus. Nobody knows for sure what it was. Possibly an enterovirus (non polio variant), adenovirus, or what. I definitely tested positive for Epstein-Barre and glandular fever. I never recovered. At first it was chronic fatigue, but that never resolved, it only got worse. Then it was Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, which is basically damage to the brain stem due to viral infection. Brain stems don't grow back.

I lost my job. My home was foreclosed on. DD's dad started drinking heavily. DD and I moved into a studio apartment. DD's tuition at school was going up. My savings were just about gone at this point.

With tons of healthy eating, hard work, and gentle exercise, I was starting to do slightly better. Moving to Israel helped a lot.

Then I got Covid - TWICE - and I have never gotten back to myself.

According to Social Security calculators, the years when I was working 60 hours a week, for so many years, had me FULLY PAID INTO THE SYSTEM. Fully paid, fully cooperative. Did I know that I would become permanently disabled, chronically ill, that the illness would cascade into other things like arthritis and epilepsy?

If I didn't have Social Security, I would have ended up living in a tent, with all the other homeless people. (BTW, in Israel, I am paying into the Bituach Leumi and medical care systems, and I'm using my Social Security money to cover some of it.)

The TL:DR version. You never know when you are going to need a safety net. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow and break both your legs. Life has no guarantees, no matter how "responsible" you are with your own money.

You should never know what it's like to need to take from the system.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics