Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
What could I/should I have done?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 4:48 pm
We have a wedding next week. DD16 has a nice skirt that she wants to wear. It has pleats. The pleats come out from time to time and she wanted it to be repleated before the wedding.
I took it to a high-end dry cleaners and explained that I just wanted them to pleat the skirt well.
They said okay and gave me a paper with my name etc.
I went back at the assigned time and they showed me the skirt. It hadn't been pleated properly. I explained and showed them what I had wanted. She said they would do it again and hopefully it would be better.
Today I sent DD to go pick it up (I waited outside). She saw that it was just the same way as she had taken it in and wasn't happy. She didn't know what to do. So I went inside and tried explaining what they hadn't done. The lady at the counter said that these skirts are generally not pleatable and the person who initially took the order should have told me that. She said if I wanted they would just charge me for the dry cleaning. Problem is that I never asked for dry cleaning. The skirt was clean when I dropped it off.
I started arguing with her that I hadn't wanted dry cleaning. She said "okay, then pay for the pleating." I told her it hadn't been done.
I asked for a manager. She was at lunch. I asked for the owner. "He left hours ago."
I kept explaining that they had done nothing to my satisfaction and I did not want to pay. She wouldn't budge and so I finally took the skirt and left the store (without paying).
I got into the car and started backing up. She ran out of the store and ran behind my car so I couldn't leave. I wasn't able to stop the car in time and there was probably a very light hit on her. She started screaming at me that her arm hurt and it was my fault and she was going to get my license plate and file a complaint.
She still wouldn't move and just stood there behind my car. Eventually not knowing what else to do, I shoved my credit card to her, she went back in the store, charged me the full price, and brought out my card.

Now, I am a very easy going person. I NEVER get into things like this. But I was just so frustrated that they hadn't done anything!

She had also promised that the manager would call me back when she got back from lunch but I never got a call (probably because they were pretty angry at me).

I know somehow that this was wrong but I also feel like they lied and didn't do the job.

What should I have done? (aside from paying the price. They are high end and it was not cheap!)
Did I have a valid complaint?

torquoise

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 4:58 pm
I can understand why you were upset, and didn't want to pay, but I think your choices were:

1. Either leave the skirt and don't pay while you wait to talk to someone, or
2. take it and pay.
I think she got upset because you took the skirt without paying, when you hadn't been given permission from management to do so.

I think it's insane that she stood behind your car not allowing you to leave, but wow is she a dedicated worker.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 11:14 am
torquoise wrote:

I think it's insane that she stood behind your car not allowing you to leave, but wow is she a dedicated worker.

I was thinking "Wow, she's a complete lunatic."

torquoise

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 10:11 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Also true!! LOL LOL LOL

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 10:15 pm
I would deny the charge.

Miri1

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 10:24 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I would deny the charge.

Considering the lunacy of the woman behind the car, I would not deny the charge.
I would just not go there again.
And be very frustrated, but relieved she didn't call the police over the "hit" to her arm.

Genius

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 11:40 pm
Miri1 wrote:
Considering the lunacy of the woman behind the car, I would not deny the charge.
I would just not go there again.
And be very frustrated, but relieved she didn't call the police over the "hit" to her arm.

I would call and ask for a manager. If they give more excuses I’d tell them I’d dispute the charge. She doesn’t have to pay if they didn’t do the service she requested (they failed to inform her that this service can’t be done) this is ridiculous!

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 11:41 pm
I would dispute the charge on your CC

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 11:44 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

He must be a very scary manager for her to do something so idiotic..

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 11:47 pm
I think you could have called the police when she blocked your car.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:44 am
This is frustrating but it does not pay to escalate these disputes.

Just pay and don't go back.

We can't be like the non-Jews who get violent over a few $$$.

smss

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:54 am
#BestBubby wrote:
This is frustrating but it does not pay to escalate these disputes.

Just pay and don't go back.

We can't be like the non-Jews who get violent over a few $$$.

This was an unnecessary and inaccurate generalization but I 100% agree with the rest of your post.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics