Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
How to know when developing teen needs new bra size?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:19 pm
I took my dd to a lingerie store for a fitting a few months ago. How long does that last?
She is still developing. She was a B at the time. (Had been wearing bras before but this was the first professional fitting).
How do I know if and when she needs a new cup size?
And do I need to take her for a new fitting or just go up on the cup size?

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:21 pm
You’ll see when she starts looking like she’s outgrowing it.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:01 am
I assume she'll let you know, just like she'd tell you if her shirts were too small or shoes too tight.

ora_43

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:25 am
DrMom wrote:
I assume she'll let you know, just like she'd tell you if her shirts were too small or shoes too tight.

This, but maybe say this to her if you haven't. Like, tell her it's normal for bra size to keep changing, and that if her bra starts feeling uncomfortably tight, or the fit changes, that might be a sign she needs a new one.

You can't always just move up a cup size, it could be she's wider around, too, and anyway, each brand fits a little differently. But I don't think you'll need another fitting, either. Now that she knows what a good fit feels like, she can try on bras herself and decide which fit.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 6:06 am
My mother took me to fittings, and I grew really fast and big, I think I went in 3 years from B to E/F... so go to a good store, I wanted to have nice H&M things but that killed me I know only buy PrimaDonna in sales.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 6:10 am
Off topic (sorry, OP):

Am I the only one who just walks into a department store/lingerie store, looks around, guestimates, tries stuff on, and buys a bra without a "professional fitting?" All this fitting business seems unnecessary.

Lakee

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 7:24 am
Every 6-9 months in a developing teen

oneofakind

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 8:28 am
I went for one "professional" fitting years ago and they fitted me with a bra that dug into my shoulder and left red marks. When I complained she said "otherwise it won't give support!". Same place did it to my SIL. Now I go to a department store and try on a bunch.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 8:26 pm
DrMom wrote:
Off topic (sorry, OP):

Am I the only one who just walks into a department store/lingerie store, looks around, guestimates, tries stuff on, and buys a bra without a "professional fitting?" All this fitting business seems unnecessary.

I do the same!

But for a developing teen it's very different. It's all new to her. She has no experience with this to know what is a good fit- is the band size too big or the cup too big etc. My mother took me when I was a teen too.
Also I have heard and read from numerous sources, many women are wearing the wrong size which leads to back problems and clothing not laying right.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 8:27 pm
oneofakind wrote:
I went for one "professional" fitting years ago and they fitted me with a bra that dug into my shoulder and left red marks. When I complained she said "otherwise it won't give support!". Same place did it to my SIL. Now I go to a department store and try on a bunch.

doesn't sound like they were such a good place.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 8:36 pm
oneofakind wrote:

Lol. I once went and the lady gave me the wrong size my boobs were spilling out of the sides of the cup she tried smushing them in… since then I’ve found a new place that fits really well.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 8:46 pm
My daughter is 14. I took her at like 11 and she was like a size C. Since then I have bought for her online (Hanes has like size medium, like that). She claims they fit but I can't really *see* to know for sure. she is very private. I want to take her for a fitting but she isn't interested. I should force her, yeah??

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 10:24 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
My daughter is 14. I took her at like 11 and she was like a size C. Since then I have bought for her online (Hanes has like size medium, like that). She claims they fit but I can't really *see* to know for sure. she is very private. I want to take her for a fitting but she isn't interested. I should force her, yeah??

No, you absolutely should not force a 14-year-old to go for a fitting on the basis of your inability to *see* that it really fits properly.

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 10:31 pm
Every 6-8 months.
In a developing teen, it’s super important to refit them in the above timeframe just to make sure they haven’t grown and that their bras are still supporting.

amother
Moccasin

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 11:09 pm
Bras stretch out. It’s generally recommended to get refitted every 8-12 months.
If she grows, and they become too small, she’ll definitely tell you. You would notice the spillage over the top. Band too small, she’ll tell you.
Signs of stretching out include: band riding up too high, breasts sitting too low, waist looking wider, entire bra shifting every time you move, too much jiggle…

amother
Forsythia

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 2:31 pm
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
Bras stretch out. It’s generally recommended to get refitted every 8-12 months.
If she grows, and they become too small, she’ll definitely tell you. You would notice the spillage over the top. Band too small, she’ll tell you.
Signs of stretching out include: band riding up too high, breasts sitting too low, waist looking wider, entire bra shifting every time you move, too much jiggle…

I want to add that bras stretch out and sometimes will “stretch along” making it almost impossible for a young teen to realize that.

Also, if a teen is a wearing a sports type bra with no wire, they have no idea to know that it’s too small.

Mindfully

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 10:34 pm
DrMom wrote:
Off topic (sorry, OP):

Depends if you want to look good. A good fitting can make a big difference.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children