Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
6 month old doesn't sleep
Previous  1  2

Rachel Shira

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 1:17 pm
I have ideas but you might not like them. Smile but if you really need things to change, here’s the solution…
- daytime sleep should be capped at 3, maybe 3.5 hours total
- work up to 3.5 hours awake before bed
- she’s waking up a lot because she’s not going to sleep independently, and needs the same help to go back to sleep in the middle of the night. Find a method you’re comfortable with, but teaching her to fall asleep on her own at bedtime is the key
- any bottles or nursing should end a half hour before bedtime
- don’t feed within five hours of bedtime to help break the nurse to sleep association. Let her or help her go back to sleep with whatever independent sleep method you do at bedtime
- wake her at the same time each morning if you’re not already

tichellady

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 1:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I can try it waking her but she won't last 3 hours between naps and then she'll be too tired to go to sleep herself. I don't want to mess with the sleep that's actually working

So do it gradually. Honestly I would not say it’s working if she’s up all night. Day sleep is way less important than night sleep and it sounds like you need to make a change for your sanity

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 1:22 pm
amother [ Bluebell ] wrote:
Good for you OP! I’m rooting for you!

Thanks!

SG18

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 3:00 pm
- don’t feed within five hours of bedtime to help break the nurse to sleep association. Let her or help her go back to sleep with whatever independent sleep method you do at bedtime

This is extreme. Babies need to eat more often than every five hours, especially before bedtime. If you don't want to link eating and sleeping, feed, unlatch, and then help baby to sleep.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 6:28 pm
Rachel Shira wrote:
I have ideas but you might not like them. Smile but if you really need things to change, here’s the solution…
- daytime sleep should be capped at 3, maybe 3.5 hours total
- work up to 3.5 hours awake before bed
- she’s waking up a lot because she’s not going to sleep independently, and needs the same help to go back to sleep in the middle of the night. Find a method you’re comfortable with, but teaching her to fall asleep on her own at bedtime is the key
- any bottles or nursing should end a half hour before bedtime
- wake her at the same time each morning if you’re not already

I appreciate you taking the time to respond but I have to say your suggestions are extreme and definitely not any I am going to try.

amother
Blushpink

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 10:50 pm
Op,
I feel for you!!! Struggling in the same boat as you. Losing my sanity slowly but dont want to CIO either Sad
All other imamotherd that are in the same boat with older kids, your scaring me :/
I have other children but this one is definitely struggling with sleep.
Difference is my baby falls asleep and even gives me a 3 hr stretch, then another 3 hr streth and at 3/4 she's up every hour Can't Believe It LOL

Rachel Shira

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 10:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I appreciate you taking the time to respond but I have to say your suggestions are extreme and definitely not any I am going to try.

No problem Smile
For the poster above who commented about the no feeding within five hours of bedtime, I apologize, I wasn’t clear. I meant five hours after bedtime.

cupcake123

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 10:56 pm
OP I feel for you! You are doing everything right imo. She is only 6 months old. To me that's a very little baby that is normal to be up at night.
Keep doing what your doing. As someone else wrote I'm rooting for you!

mushkamothers

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 11:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've tried not taking her out but she just cries. I do stay in her room with her when I take her out but it's hard. It's alot of hours every night. I have other kids to tend to, house to care for, not to mention my own sleep

Bring her back to your room, and cosleep. Thats what I would do since neither of you are sleeping anyways. Also she's 6 months she can't be spoiled. She's a tiny baby.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:11 am
cupcake123 wrote:
OP I feel for you! You are doing everything right imo. She is only 6 months old. To me that's a very little baby that is normal to be up at night.
Keep doing what your doing. As someone else wrote I'm rooting for you!

Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:11 am
mushkamothers wrote:
Bring her back to your room, and cosleep. Thats what I would do since neither of you are sleeping anyways. Also she's 6 months she can't be spoiled. She's a tiny baby.

I usually do but she doesn't always sleep well even when in my bed and I certainly don't get the same quality of sleep.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:35 am
I have to agree with other posters who say she is getting way too much daytime sleep. Try decreasing her 2nd nap by 15min at a time until it's down an hour. She should not be getting up at 5pm and going back between 7-8pm.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics