Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
"White sugar"
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 2:31 am
What do people mean by cutting out white sugar? What difference does it make what color the sugar is? Sugar is sugar, isn't it (unless unprocessed, such as naturally in fruit)? Is this reverse racism?

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 2:35 am
Maybe it’s white flour and sugar?

balance

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 2:37 am
White sugar is processed sugar. Some people will carry on using dark sugar or molasses from a health food store, honey or silan. Depends what kind of a diet it is.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 7:43 am
I included white, brown, and powdered sugar when I stopped. I use honey. I haven't tried other sweeteners besides saccharin in my coffee.

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:25 am
It’s referring to regular sugar, brown sugar included. Alternative would be healthier sweeteners like honey, xylitol, stevia etc

amother
Latte

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:30 am
White sugar means processed sugar.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:34 am
Reminds me of a funny story. I once had seminary girls stay by me. They were telling me about their diet in the dorm which included cutting out white sugar and white flour. When I asked what they used instead of white sugar, they responded brown sugar!

amother
Clover

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do people mean by cutting out white sugar? What difference does it make what color the sugar is? Sugar is sugar, isn't it (unless unprocessed, such as naturally in fruit)? Is this reverse racism?

I agree.

People tend to jump on conclusions or to pursue one idea up to absurdity.

I have many friends that believe that honey is so much better than white sugar... Not to bash honey, I use it against colds, etc.. But honey has as many calories as sugar, and whoever thinks their cake will be "healthier" if the put in honey instead of sugar deludes themselves...

By the way: the snack industry is jumping exactly on this bandwagon by proposing "healthy" bars and cookies and snacks... that will make you just as fat as the other ones... It's like the chazer pointing out its kosher feet...

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:54 am
Yes SUGAR IS SUGAR- the body Can not differentiate
And -BTW- fructose- the sugar in fruit- is worse than table sugar as it gets processed by the liver directly and can cause non alcoholic fatty liver disease-
“ Fructose is a simple sugar, like glucose, but the human body processes it very differently. Fructose is metabolised solely in the liver. Excess fructose consumption can cause fat buildup in the liver, leading to insulin resistance in the liver and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.”

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:57 am
amother [ Maize ] wrote:
And -BTW- fructose- the sugar in fruit- is worse than table sugar as it gets processed by the liver directly and can cause non alcoholic fatty liver disease-
“ Fructose is a simple sugar, like glucose, but the human body processes it very differently. Fructose is metabolised solely in the liver. Excess fructose consumption can cause fat buildup in the liver, leading to insulin resistance in the liver and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.”

And believe it or not any sweetner including stevia can cause a rise in blood glucose just from the sweet taste and the brain saying something sweet is coming in. Not as high as sugar but there is still a rise

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 10:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Sugar is sugar. Some people think that if they don’t eat white sugar it makes it harder to get things that have sugar in them. Sort of like a geder to keep one from mindlessly eating things with white sugar.

In my experience I just found recipes that I could make with the alternate source and then binged on those.

Same with: whole-wheat flour, Kamut flour, spelt flour, gf matzah crackers….( for me) there are no magic bullets.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 10:23 am
amother [ Maize ] wrote:
And believe it or not any sweetner including stevia can cause a rise in blood glucose just from the sweet taste and the brain saying something sweet is coming in. Not as high as sugar but there is still a rise
Insulin will rise. Not sure about blood sugar.

Some sweetners are better/worse in terms of feeding gut bugs.

Some are also lower glycemic. And some contain micronutrients.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:22 am
Andrea Levy is correct as the issue isn't whether sugar is white, brown or even in the form of honey. The issue is what it is being used to make and how much of it you actually wind up eating.

I do think fructose is not quite the same thing IF - and that is a big if - one is actually eating solid fruit and not juices. When one eats a piece of fruit one is getting fiber and other benefits from the fruit. Also one generally can't eat the same quantity of solid fruit as one can drink juice. It is far better to eat an orange than to drink orange juice - the serving of orange juice is about 4 ounces and it is essentially just fructose PLUS most people drink far more juice than a 4 ounce typical serving. How many oranges can you eat versus how much juice can you drink.

BubblyBubby

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:35 am
amother [ Maize ] wrote:

fructose is worse when it is concentrated. The way it appears naturally in fruits, there is no problem, since fruits contain over 80% water, lots of fibers, and a little bit of fructose (mandarine: 1,2 mg per 100g)...
So even when you eat 20 clementines in a row, it does not come up to a can of coke sweetened with high fructose corn syrup.

High fructose corn syrup, that's what you should avoid or consume in moderation.

How do we do it? By cooking our own food rather than relying on convenience food (you might also want to check out your teriyaki sauce and the like) and avoiding sugary drinks.

On the other hand, I think that the "Low Glycemic Index" approach, which would push people to choose untreated veggies, fruits as well as whole grain products DOES help.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:26 pm
Amarante wrote:
Andrea Levy is correct as the issue isn't whether sugar is white, brown or even in the form of honey. The issue is what it is being used to make and how much of it you actually wind up eating.

I do think fructose is not quite the same thing IF - and that is a big if - one is actually eating solid fruit and not juices. When one eats a piece of fruit one is getting fiber and other benefits from the fruit. Also one generally can't eat the same quantity of solid fruit as one can drink juice. It is far better to eat an orange than to drink orange juice - the serving of orange juice is about 4 ounces and it is essentially just fructose PLUS most people drink far more juice than a 4 ounce typical serving. How many oranges can you eat versus how much juice can you drink.

Sadly, people who eat fruit indiscriminately can get non alcoholic fatty liver disease from that, regardless of being a whole food. I agree though that it is harder to eat ten oranges than ten oranges worth of juice. Not that I could not do it…

Also, even if blood sugar does not rise, because the liver is processing, insulin does rise, so net effect is that eating fruit ‘freely’ will worsen insulin resistance.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:29 pm
BubblyBubby wrote:
fructose is worse when it is concentrated. The way it appears naturally in fruits, there is no problem, since fruits contain over 80% water, lots of fibers, and a little bit of fructose (mandarine: 1,2 mg per 100g)...
So even when you eat 20 clementines in a row, it does not come up to a can of coke sweetened with high fructose corn syrup.

High fructose corn syrup, that's what you should avoid or consume in moderation.

How do we do it? By cooking our own food rather than relying on convenience food (you might also want to check out your teriyaki sauce and the like) and avoiding sugary drinks.

On the other hand, I think that the "Low Glycemic Index" approach, which would push people to choose untreated veggies, fruits as well as whole grain products DOES help.

I don’t agree with the clementines analogy because insulin resistance but do agree that cooking one’s own good is a good way to control what goes into it.

I was a food professional for ten years. While I did not use sugar indiscriminately as do some businesses, I certainly did have my tricks to make people want to eat my food and thus buy more. Putting sugar in food is a definite way to improve compulsive consumption and it is done throughout the world of food to increase sales.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:31 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Sugar is sugar. Some people think that if they don’t eat white sugar it makes it harder to get things that have sugar in them. Sort of like a geder to keep one from mindlessly eating things with white sugar.

In my experience I just found recipes that I could make with the alternate source and then binged on those.

Same with: whole-wheat flour, Kamut flour, spelt flour, gf matzah crackers….( for me) there are no magic bullets.

The only benefit to whole grains, scientifically, is that people who switch to them lose more weight. BUT maybe that’s because they’re not as delicious? I don’t know, I don’t know the science, only the stats

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:36 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
The only benefit to whole grains, scientifically, is that people who switch to them lose more weight. BUT maybe that’s because they’re not as delicious? I don’t know, I don’t know the science, only the stats

I don’t think this statement is accurate. I’ve seen numerous sources of valid and conflicting research that goes both ways. The only research I actually think is valid is the stuff the scientists agree upon. It’s not that whole grains make better weightloss overall. I’ve seen some indication that eating whole grains versus processed could do that but the second you grind it into flour, the net results are the same physiologically.

I do think that eating while grains WHOLE could have that impact to some extent but consider it not to be a particularly sustainable proctice. I mean, think about eating whole wheat berries or whole ( not steel cut) oats. What a pain to cook… and really not so pleasurable to eat.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:40 pm
Some people bake with blackstrap molasses.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:42 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:

Whole grains have more nutritional value. They have natural vitamins and minerals in them. And fiber. White bread was processed so much that it was stripped of all its nutrition and fiber.
There is a huge difference between eating a piece of sprouted whole grain bread and a piece of white bread. One is a healthy food and one is junk food.
When it comes to sugar, Cane sugar is better than white sugar. White sugar was overly processed and stripped of all its natural nutrition. Cane sugar is not healthy. However, using cane sugar, raw honey, and other natural sweet sources is far better health wise than using white sugar.
Also, even worse than white sugar is high fructose corn syrup. If you see that ingredient, it’s best to avoid it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise