Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
If you both work, who takes off when the kids are sick?
Previous  1  2

If you both work, who takes off when the kids are sick?
Me  
 45%  [ 40 ]
My husband  
 3%  [ 3 ]
We split it  
 48%  [ 43 ]
We have other arrangements (please share them!)  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 88

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:20 pm
As a teacher I try to make it my husband whenever I can because I still have to write sub plans if I'm out so I'm working and not getting paid for it....

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:25 pm
Schools are in a pinch now with so many teachers out and not many subs available. That's probably why they are pressuring you so much.

Hopefully once the winter season passes we can get back to normal with both teacher and sub availability .

Hang in there!

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:30 pm
My son’s rebbi has been out A lot and it’s really frustrating me. It disrupts the day, and the evening (homework) for many little boys and I hope it’s not bec he’s home with his sick kids. Either his wife should have a flexible job so she can be home, or they should hire a babysitter to be home, or drive the kid to a grandparent or sibling. But the Rebbi has an achrayis to the whole class and should only miss for emergencies.

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:45 pm
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
My son’s rebbi has been out A lot and it’s really frustrating me. It disrupts the day, and the evening (homework) for many little boys and I hope it’s not bec he’s home with his sick kids. Either his wife should have a flexible job so she can be home, or they should hire a babysitter to be home, or drive the kid to a grandparent or sibling. But the Rebbi has an achrayis to the whole class and should only miss for emergencies.

And are you offering to pay what a sick day babysitter costs? Or the drop in salary his breadwinner wife would have to take? Chances are his wife is the one making the money that allows him to be a rebbe.

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:52 pm
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
And are you offering to pay what a sick day babysitter costs? Or the drop in salary his breadwinner wife would have to take? Chances are his wife is the one making the money that allows him to be a rebbe.
I’m not offering to pay anything. But a rebbi being out has a big effect on a lot of other people. Not every job is like that. (Mine isn’t) so that needs to be taken into account. Also, behaviorally having a sub can set the class back a lot, its important that the schedule and routine be as consistent as possible to have the best chances for the kids’ success. A sub is a huge disruption, not something to be taken lightly. Occasionally going to work is a big extra expense. It’s what happens. (There are people who have had to take expensive fights to attend a siblings wedding, for example. All sorts of scenarios where the
Responsibility of having a job comes first, and is not about how much you are getting paid for that day at work)

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 2:02 pm
I’m not offering to pay anything. But a rebbi being out has a big effect on a lot of other people. Not every job is like that. (Mine isn’t) so that needs to be taken into account. Also, behaviorally having a sub can set the class back a lot, its important that the schedule and routine be as consistent as possible to have the best chances for the kids’ success. A sub is a huge disruption, not something to be taken lightly. Occasionally going to work is a big extra expense. It’s what happens. (There are people who have had to take expensive fights to attend a siblings wedding, for example. All sorts of scenarios where the
Responsibility of having a job comes first, and is not about how much you are getting paid for that day at work)

I'm a teacher too. I agree that a sub sets everything back, but unfortunately, your kid and his class isn't the only factor in the equation. What if the wife is a nurse? Or what if she's also a teacher? Or she has no vacation days left because she took them all for YT or maternity leave?

I'll tell you honestly- don't ever let the school / rebbi know you feel this way because you will be blacklisted as a brat of a parent who thinks "magia li". I'm glad I don't know you in real life because I have no respect for you at the moment.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 2:03 pm

I don't think it's the parents business why/how often a Rebbe takes off. It's between him and the school administration.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 2:09 pm
Just wanted to add, it's not always about the money to pay a babysitter. A "sick day" babysitter? How I wish such a thing even existed where I live! I'd happily pay my days wages just so I could go into work, but no one wants to watch sick kids! Especially not last minute if they wake up sick or something.
I'm a therapist so I feel bad when I can't be consistent about seeing my client and have to constantly cancel when my kids are sick. But that's why I went into this field in the first place and also why I get paid so little money! BH, it's worth it so I can be with my kids when they need me. IH when my kids get older I'll be able to be more consistent and maybe get a job that pays better 😉

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 3:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does it change anything that my husband is a Rebbi? Is it different in this case?

I'm in the same boat and I definitely could commiserate with you. It is nice that he can take off with the kids erev YT isru Chag Shushan Purim. Keep in mind that you don't have to take off any of these days where most other ppl probably do have to.
Yes I do all the sick days. I told my job that at this point I need flexibility

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 3:25 pm

This is true. My husband rarely takedown off because of this

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 5:19 pm
curious if people look at a rebbe different then a morah because I can tell you that one of my girls teachers is absent or comes late A LOT. She has a large family k"H and that's what happens.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics