Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is "money can't buy happiness" advice for poor or for rich?
Previous  1  2

Does "money can't buy happiness" mean "poor people don't need money" or "rich people don't need more money"?
"Poor people don't need money"  
 6%  [ 6 ]
"Rich people don't need more money"  
 18%  [ 16 ]
Both  
 31%  [ 28 ]
Neither  
 40%  [ 36 ]
Other  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 88

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 4:12 pm
English3 wrote:
Life is a gift from Hashem and only He can take it.

He relies on us to be His hands.

https://thechesedfund.com/sequ.....quoia

tryinghard

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 5:08 pm
There was a study conducted a while back (sorry, too lazy to look it up right now), that found that there was a certain threshhold below which money DOES buy happiness. As in, on average those who make 70k will be happier than those making 20k. Because struggling to afford basic necessities is difficult. I'm not sure what that amount is, and obviously it will vary by location and culture (tuition, anyone?). But above a certain number, your money is buying luxuries, not necessities, and that's where they found no difference.

chanatron1000

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 6:01 pm
It's not really that money buys happiness. It's that poverty causes pain.

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 6:16 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:

Well said!
It's hard to imagine anyone being happy if they can't put food on the table or afford medical care for their children. You may be happy to do without for yourself, but I don't see how a parent can be happy when his "olalim sha'alu lechem , pores ein lahem."

BubblyBubby

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 6:25 pm
To me it means: "Rich people might be unhappy in spite of being rich"
So I think it is "for the rich people"

Or is it for the poor, to tell them cynically they should stay poor and be happy with their lot?

essie14

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:41 am
chanatron1000 wrote:

Exactly.
If I can afford wagyu beef and caviar, does that make me happy? Not necessarily. But if I have to choose between feeding my kids and paying for medical care, of course I won't be happy.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:46 am
This is a meaningless platitude which has a grain of truth.

Obviously money in itself doesn't mean one is completely protected from all of the *normal* issues of life.

However people sometimes take it to mean that people with money somehow are inherently unhappier.

Also note that it doesn't talk about wealth or riches - it just states "money".

As pointed out by many, the ability to not worry about money is a factor that provides emotional security and being worried about finances is a significant factor in making most people "unhappy" - that is just reality and to deny it is being blind to reality.

Ima03

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 2:03 pm
No money cannot buy happiness. My father had an amazing job with a huge salary. But he had to travel a lot, sometimes months at a time. He would be alone in hotel rooms. At one point he said this isn't living and quit (he found a new job first) even though it was a huge cut in salary.

My husband had a decent paying job but an abusive manager. I begged him to quit. The money was nice, but his life was miserable.

So although it pays for expenses, it really isn't everything and CANNOT make you happy.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics