Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
S/o kids ruining everything
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 5:24 pm
We are finally in a spot financially where we are able to purchase new furniture. We are looking to buy living room couch, dining room set, rugs and painting interior. I am worried I will end up driving my kids crazy.

We have always gotten 2nd hand or purchased used very cheap.
Current couches are leather (ripping in many spots). Dining room set is nice table but def. falling apart. Chairs are also nice . Thick cushion but definitely wearing down and reupholstering then would cost more than buying new. We are generally pretty chilled if there is a spill or stain and I did not grow up that way. I don't want to turn into my mom who freaked out by every spill or dirt.
So any advice or help appreciated!

Is there a specific material for couches (looking for fabric) that is more stain resistant or more durable? Same for dining room chairs?
What kind of paint looks nice but is easier to clean walls or less prone to sticky dirty hands? Any rugs that are easier to clean or more stain resistant?

I am really excited about finally being able to do things we have wanted to do for the past 10 years but I want my kids to feel comfortable and as well. Kids ages range from 4 to 17.

TIA!!!

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 5:35 pm
Following. I was literally going to start the same spin-off! I'm in a similar situation. I don't understand how/why people with young kids seem to be buying these gorgeous $10,000 dining room sets?
I am in a position to buy nice furniture for the first time, but wonder if it will just increase my stress level and possibly end up wasting thousands of dollars.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 5:40 pm
You can buy pieces that are quality + practical.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 7:18 pm
amother [ Lightcyan ] wrote:
You can buy pieces that are quality + practical.

Can you give some ideas?? Links??
Tysm!

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 7:27 pm
Use plastic to cover the chairs.
Make sure to have a glass cover on top of the table. Put table cloth over glass and thick plastic over table cloth and thin plastic during meals.
Try to eat in kitchen.
Couches don't allow feet or shoes on couches.

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 7:34 pm
As a mother of rowdy teenage boys... Marbeh nechasim marbeh dargah (more possessions more worries). Just because you CAN doesn't mean you have to. I love our new absolutely ridiculously cheap second hand couch with small tears in it, precisely because when the kids spill ketchup on it I am not stressed.

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 7:35 pm
Slipcovers on the couches saved my sanity.

(Also, no shoes or eating/drinking on the couches either)

I can't say the slipcovers always look good, nor that they 100% protect the couch itself.

They do provide some level of protection and are easy to clean/replace.

I don't know if I'd have the guts to replace couches with not-second hand if I still have kids living at home.

I also agree with re: tables, lots of covers, table cloths, protectors, etc.

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 7:41 pm
Vinyl upholstery on chairs
Glass table pad
Washable rugs check out ruggable.com
I have something like this, so easy to clean rugs & fabric sofa- it has a handheld attachment
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....title

There are velvet fabrics that are completely non-absorbant like plastic almost but look great

amother
Forsythia

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 7:49 pm
No shoes in the house, food only in the kitchen, and careful control of paint, glue, scissors, and markers go a looooong way. I say institute these changes ASAP so your kids get used to them.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 7:53 pm
Get leather or pleather instead of fabric upholstery on chairs and couches. They wipe clean with a rag.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:10 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Use plastic to cover the chairs.
Make sure to have a glass cover on top of the table. Put table cloth over glass and thick plastic over table cloth and thin plastic during meals.
Try to eat in kitchen.
Couches don't allow feet or shoes on couches.

Thank you! Plastic makes me uncomfortable. Like physically. I hate the feel. Im ok saying no shoes on the couch but its hard to imagine them not lounging around and us all chilling.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:13 pm
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
Vinyl upholstery on chairs
Glass table pad
Washable rugs check out ruggable.com
I have something like this, so easy to clean rugs & fabric sofa- it has a handheld attachment
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....title

There are velvet fabrics that are completely non-absorbant like plastic almost but look great

Definitely checking this out!

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:13 pm
amother [ Buttercup ] wrote:
Slipcovers on the couches saved my sanity.

(Also, no shoes or eating/drinking on the couches either)

I can't say the slipcovers always look good, nor that they 100% protect the couch itself.

They do provide some level of protection and are easy to clean/replace.

I don't know if I'd have the guts to replace couches with not-second hand if I still have kids living at home.

I also agree with re: tables, lots of covers, table cloths, protectors, etc.

I agree, cover everything with plastic slipcovers until the kids are old enough, then you can remove them. Glass tops are a bad idea as they’re dangerous re kids running around, etc

cupcake123

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:16 pm
Asking out of genuine curiosity- what's the point of covering expensive furniture with cheaply looking plastic/couch covers only to take them off in 10-20 years when your kids are all grown up/have grandkids around. I would think if your buying expensive you might as well enjoy your purchase.

For me I try to buy leather versus fabric because you can clean that easier.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:17 pm
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
No shoes in the house, food only in the kitchen, and careful control of paint, glue, scissors, and markers go a looooong way. I say institute these changes ASAP so your kids get used to them.

Too late TMI

We did have an area designated for art, glue, markers etc.....and im thinking we need to find a way to build in a sort of art center again so they can be messy in a designated spot. Good one!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:19 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Get leather or pleather instead of fabric upholstery on chairs and couches. They wipe clean with a rag.

So old leather couches going down to the basement. When we visit my single brother who has a house, he has 2 fabric L shaped couches on main floor and down flight of steps.. and kids LOVE them. Its so cozy.
I know exactly what you mean by just wiping off with leather!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:25 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
Asking out of genuine curiosity- what's the point of covering expensive furniture with cheaply looking plastic/couch covers only to take them off in 10-20 years when your kids are all grown up/have grandkids around. I would think if your buying expensive you might as well enjoy your purchase.

For me I try to buy leather versus fabric because you can clean that easier.

My budget is not for 4k plus couch. More like hoping for 2k on sale. But yes I agree with you regarding the plastic. My parents and grandparents had this. I hated it. Maybe just buying in a darker fabric and making peace with knowing it will likely get stained, not hold up or whatever.
I guess I was hoping for a fabric that was maybe less susceptible to absorbing stains or easier to clean but still comfy for kids.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:27 pm
I'll be a voice of dissent. I don't want to police my children and guests. My kids have basic rules and manners but I have a policy that I don't buy furniture that I'm too afraid of living in. Is my house super fancy? No. Do I spend tons of money on furniture? No. I spend money on other things and people love my house because they are their kids feel so comfortable.
That's a lifestyle choice.
I know others who choose otherwise.

honey36

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:26 pm
I've heard Microfiber is great. My friend told me she had white microfiber couch, her friend spilled red wine on it and she just wiped it right of.

Sara255

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 6:59 am
I think interior define performance fabrics are supposed to hold up well. We have an off-white leather couch. I absolutely love it. It's beautiful and I can just wipe it down. But a real leather sectional is going to cost around $5k. Costco furniture has extremely good quality for the prices, so you can get something good there.
Microfiber doesn't stay looking nice. Every drop of water shows..
For dining chairs- get leather upholstery or non upholstered chairs. If you love cloth, Levity.com has dining chairs and cozy arm chairs with completely removable and washable fabric.
For rugs I would get with ruggable or a pattern that can hide dirt. I'm somewhat strict with kids mess and house rules. They can eat, paint, etc in the kitchen as much as they want but no pens or scissors near the couch.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics