Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Why is my LO waking up in middle of the night

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 10:26 pm
My two year old has been waking up between 1 and 2 AM almost every night and sometimes she's up for 2/3 hours. We've tried adjusting her schedule but nothing seems to help. She currently wakes at 7:30, naps at 12:30 for 2 hours and goes to sleep at around 8 or 8:30. Any suggestions of what we can do to fix this. Thanks in advance from tired parents.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 10:28 pm
Is she crying or just wants to be up and play like it's daytime?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 10:34 pm
She's crying and keeps trying to go back to sleep. It's been a while already. We ruled out any obvious medical reasons such as teething, ear infection...

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 10:37 pm
My toddler would wake up in middle of the night crying inconsolably but when asked if she needed the bathroom, cried no. We noticed a pattern of her calming down as soon as she got to use the bathroom (and when that happened we could see that she truly did need to use the bathroom). So when she began to cry, we just picked her up and bought her to the bathroom while speaking soothingly (because she cried and resisted) and as soon as she started using the bathroom she calmed down. Afterwards we were able to tuck her back in and she was much happier BH.

If this doesn't work, take a flashlight and check for pinworms. If you can't find them, take her to the pediatrician so they can test for them.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 10:37 pm
From everything I learned doing extensive sleep training, her bedtime is too late. You can try 630 or 7. But who am I to talk because my 14 month old just had a sleep regression and is currently doing the same. When I saw your post I wondered if our babies are astral projecting and playing with each other in middle of the night. My baby just wants to play at 1am. You can't force a baby to sleep when she's just sitting in her crib laughing at her fan on the ceiling and talking to her imaginary friends. Then she wants to sleep late in the morning but I need to go to work. I'm at my wit's end.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:02 pm
Can you cut down on her nap?

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:26 pm
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:
From everything I learned doing extensive sleep training, her bedtime is too late. You can try 630 or 7. But who am I to talk because my 14 month old just had a sleep regression and is currently doing the same. When I saw your post I wondered if our babies are astral projecting and playing with each other in middle of the night. My baby just wants to play at 1am. You can't force a baby to sleep when she's just sitting in her crib laughing at her fan on the ceiling and talking to her imaginary friends. Then she wants to sleep late in the morning but I need to go to work. I'm at my wit's end.

Her and mg 2 yo sin can be good friends. She sounds adorable.

Op I don't have any insight but this sounds incredibly frustrating.
My 2.5 yo stopped sleeping thru the night after crazy yom tov schedule.
Most nights I just make him another bottle and he falls back asleep. Other nights he gets spooked out of the dark and ends up sleeping in dhs or my bed with his face in mine or dhs and his adorable little arms wrapped around my neck. His version of cuddling to sleep.... and don't I DARE try to move away...

Is hard being nice to the other kids the next morning.....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics