Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Boys name after a Robert
Previous  1  2

shirachadasha

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 6:34 am
Could you name after a character trait of your grandfather?
For example, if he stood up against others for what is right you could name the baby Avraham. If he cared about others as a shephard for small sheep you could name the baby Moshe. If he showed traits of leadership in difficult times you could name the baby Yosef.

Or you could look at pirkay avos for a mishna that would have resonated with your grandfather and give the baby the name of the tana in whose name it is said.

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:37 am
shirachadasha wrote:
Could you name after a character trait of your grandfather?
For example, if he stood up against others for what is right you could name the baby Avraham. If he cared about others as a shephard for small sheep you could name the baby Moshe. If he showed traits of leadership in difficult times you could name the baby Yosef.

Or you could look at pirkay avos for a mishna that would have resonated with your grandfather and give the baby the name of the tana in whose name it is said.

I'm not the OP but I had to tell you how much I LOVE your suggestions.
you are so very creative. Smile sincerely.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:08 am
I like "Hillel" for "fame" best. But:

When I tried to think of someone from Tanach who best exemplified fame, I thought of King Shlomo. I recall a shiur where they said that King Shlomo was given a choice of what gift he wanted from HaShem; he could have chosen money, fame, etc and he chose wisdom, and that pleased HaShem so much that He also gave Shlomo riches, fame, etc. -- It's a stretch, but if you like the name Shlomo anyway, you could use that to seal the deal.

Tof Umachol

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 2:30 am
I think you can interpret "fame" not as something superficial or crass, conjuring celebrity or "lifestyles of the rich and famous", but rather as what you are known for in the world. Chazal referred to this as a person's 'name' -- think of people behaving in a way that maintains their good name (kind of like their reputation, I guess). Kohelet says:
טוב שם משמן טוב
Your "fame", your name, what you are known for or respected for, is very valuable.

How to translate this into a Jewish name?
Maybe use the name שמואל
which means given by G-d or carrying the name of G-d.
You could combine with one of the beautiful names meaning light, such as
שרגא שמואל
מאיר שמואל
ליאור שמואל
etc.

salt

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 4:41 am
Tof Umachol wrote:
I think you can interpret "fame" not as something superficial or crass, conjuring celebrity or "lifestyles of the rich and famous", but rather as what you are known for in the world. Chazal referred to this as a person's 'name' -- think of people behaving in a way that maintains their good name (kind of like their reputation, I guess). Kohelet says:
טוב שם משמן טוב
Your "fame", your name, what you are known for or respected for, is very valuable.

How to translate this into a Jewish name?
Maybe use the name שמואל
which means given by G-d or carrying the name of G-d.
You could combine with one of the beautiful names meaning light, such as
שרגא שמואל
מאיר שמואל
ליאור שמואל
etc.

I like this idea.
Is Shem-tov a name?

Tof Umachol

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 4:24 pm
salt wrote:
I like this idea.
Is Shem-tov a name?

Yes.
I don't think it's common, but I do know of two people named Shem-Tov.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 5:20 pm
Reuven Ziv.

Ziv means brilliance or brightness

I think they flow very nicely together.

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 5:42 pm
The name Robert means Bright Fame. However, if you don't know the man's Hebrew name, it's safe to assume it started with an R. That's what people did back in the day--give an English name that started with the same letter as the person's Hebrew or Yiddish name. What was holy about an initial I don't know, but that's what people did. I would choose a name that starts with the letter resh, which is as close as you're going to get to reality as this is all guesswork. I would not go by the meaning of the secular name, which has zero religious significance and which the people who named him probably didn't even think about.

Is it possible that he was named Robert after a Shraga Feivel or a Meir? Possible--yes; likely--no. Reuven is far more likely. And if you're naming "for" the man, I wouldn't use a modern name like Ro'I because that for sure wasn't his name.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names