Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Flying with kids
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:45 am
Any practical tips to make the packing, airport, flight, etc. easier and smoother? Give me all you've got! (3 hour flight with toddler and lap infant)

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 10:06 am
Bring a cake/chocolates and give it to the flight attendants when you board! Do this and you won't get thrown off if your 2 year old refuses to keep his mask on...

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 10:12 am
Don't ask the flight attendants to help you put your overhead storage in the overhead bin. Instead ask a strong looking man to do it (many flight attendants are middle aged + year old women with back problems)

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 10:27 am
Buy the lap infant a seat and bring his car seat. Worth every penny.
Bring toddler headphones for the toddler so he can watch and listen. Earphones are hard for little kids.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 10:28 am
SuperWify wrote:
Bring toddler headphones for the toddler so he can watch and listen. Earphones are hard for little kids.

Too late for the lap seat! I got the headphones for my toddler. I hope we'll manage passing the baby back and forth. Sad

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 10:29 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Bring a cake/chocolates and give it to the flight attendants when you board! Do this and you won't get thrown off if your 2 year old refuses to keep his mask on...

This is brilliant! Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 10:29 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Don't ask the flight attendants to help you put your overhead storage in the overhead bin. Instead ask a strong looking man to do it (many flight attendants are middle aged + year old women with back problems)

Great idea. Thanks.

amother
Milk

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 10:34 am
Bring a car seat for the toddler.

Pack one wheelie carryon with things you won't need during the flight and a carryon for under the seat with whatever you need easy access to.

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 10:44 am
You can ask when you get to the seat if they have an extra seat for your baby. They might.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 10:53 am
SuperWify wrote:

3 hours is nothing! I’ve done lap infants from. Y to Greece and NY to Italy. You’ll be fine!

Oldest

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:03 am
Packing:
pack as much as you can in the larger suitcase. Try to have as few bags to bring on the plane if possible.
Carry-on: pack tons of nosh, snacks, food, toys, crayons, tablet/headphones, change of clothes, extra bottles (they can be filled, TSA allows bottles for little kids, they just need extra testing) shopping bags, diapers, wipes.

In the airport:
I personally travel with 2 strollers rather than a double. A) I travel with a doona so this way I have a carseat wherever I go and B)I can take a walk with child A if needed but Child B is still confined to his stroller with dh

On the plane:
toddler sits by the window, so he can watch whats going on. You can also buy window gels to keep him busy. I would advise flying at night if possible, that way kids sleep on the plane. If not, buy travel toys (I love this from Ali https://www.aliexpress.com/ite.....VRpHj)
Get triangle crayons https://www.amazon.com/Crayola.....r=8-3 they won't roll of the tray
Bring a few of toddler's favorite books
Bring a tablet preloaded with videos (not all planes have wifi and of those that do its usually not free)
And NOSH!!! Lollies are best because it keeps their mouth occupied for a while. Also if you are flying over mealtime- squeeze yogurts and all single serve foods are your best friends!

I generally find that babies are way easier to fly with. My babies usually sleep or chill on the plane.

I would advise that you have both baby and toddler suck on something during takeoff and landing to prevent ear pain

**Hope this helps. If I think of anything else I will post more. I fly all the time with my baby and toddler so feel free to ask any questions you may have

Last edited by Oldest on Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Oldest

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:07 am
Personally, the car seat for the toddler didn't work for me cuz he easily gets bored and needs to move around. there's nothing to look at outside

As far as a seat for your baby, if you are traveling with your husband, realize that getting another seat for your baby will put one person on a different row. It may just be easier to keep the baby on your lap.

I've found that what works for us is for me and my husband to each be "in charge" of one kid throughout the flight. Usually, he gets the baby and I get the toddler. That way neither of us gets too overwhelmed in such close quarters.

Also, you can always take walks down the aisle as needed

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:17 am
amother [ Milk ] wrote:
Bring a car seat for the toddler.

Pack one wheelie carryon with things you won't need during the flight and a carryon for under the seat with whatever you need easy access to.

Why would a toddler need a car seat on a plane? They need space and want to move around. In my experience, toddlers refuse to be confined for so long, especially on a plane.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:22 am
Oldest wrote:
Packing:
pack as much as you can in the larger suitcase. Try to have as few bags to bring on the plane if possible.
Carry-on: pack tons of nosh, snacks, food, toys, crayons, tablet/headphones, change of clothes, extra bottles (they can be filled, TSA allows bottles for little kids, they just need extra testing) shopping bags, diapers, wipes.

In the airport:
I personally travel with 2 strollers rather than a double. A) I travel with a doona so this way I have a carseat wherever I go and B)I can take a walk with child A if needed but Child B is still confined to his stroller with dh

On the plane:
toddler sits by the window, so he can watch whats going on. You can also buy window gels to keep him busy. I would advise flying at night if possible, that way kids sleep on the plane. If not, buy travel toys (I love this from Ali https://www.aliexpress.com/ite.....VRpHj)
Get triangle crayons https://www.amazon.com/Crayola.....r=8-3 they won't roll of the tray
Bring a few of toddler's favorite books
Bring a tablet preloaded with videos (not all planes have wifi and of those that do its usually not free)
And NOSH!!! Lollies are best because it keeps their mouth occupied for a while. Also if you are flying over mealtime- squeeze yogurts and all single serve foods are your best friends!

I generally find that babies are way easier to fly with. My babies usually sleep or chill on the plane.

I would advise that you have both baby and toddler suck on something during takeoff and landing to prevent ear pain

**Hope this helps. If I think of anything else I will post more. I fly all the time with my baby and toddler so feel free to ask any questions you may have

Both your posts were so helpful! Thank you for taking the time to write everything out. I will be using a bunch of your tips.

Oldest

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:23 am
Happy to help!

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:24 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Why would a toddler need a car seat on a plane? They need space and want to move around. In my experience, toddlers refuse to be confined for so long, especially on a plane.

I think because it’s one less Thing to shlep through the airport and gate check

sweet

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:36 am
amother [ Honeysuckle ] wrote:
I think because it’s one less Thing to shlep through the airport and gate check

You don't need to gate check a car seat.
It can be checked in with bags, or the same place as bag check in.

Oldest

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 12:11 pm
In regards to the car seat, if you can arrange to borrow/rent a car seat wherever you're going I would advise you to do that. Unless you have a really good travel bag for the car seat, I always found it way too stressful to put it under and hope that it didn't get damaged

mfb

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 12:16 pm
How do you get your toddler to keep on a mask?

Oldest

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 12:22 pm
mfb wrote:
How do you get your toddler to keep on a mask?

Since COVID hit I have flown 10+ times with my kids. In all that time only once did they stop my toddler, and then it was only to go on the plane. Once we are on the plane, I have never had any issues. If my child is up, we keep him busy with food and drink OR he keeps his paci in his mouth. If he's asleep we cover his face with his blankey. If the stewardesses want you to mask your toddler, put the mask over his paci, it makes it much easier to breathe and wear.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics