Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you use eggs past expiration date?

Do you use expired eggs?
Yes  
 90%  [ 18 ]
No  
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 20

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 12:26 pm
I have eggs that expired this month in my fridge. Do you use expired eggs? Some cartons say sell by and some say expires on...

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 12:33 pm
Yes, I use them up to 2-3 weeks past the date, but only well cooked or fried or baked. Not raw or undercooked.

Fun fact:
If you leave eggs very long past their expiry date, like two months over, they will either dry out inside or else go rotten all the way - a truly unforgettable stink! Btdt.

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 12:41 pm
Over here, eggs don't have expiration dates, just dates when they were laid.

As long as you cook or bake your eggs, you don't have risks with salmonella.
And if they are foul, they will smell.
So I would check their smell and not use them raw.

Oldest

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:20 pm
Yes I do.

Quick tip to know if your eggs are fresh: put them in a glass of water. If they float to the top, I wouldn't use them. If they drop to the bottom, but not completely (the eggs points up) I would use, but know that means that they are probably on the way out

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:53 pm
Eggs that have been properly refrigerated will stay safe to eat for quite some time past the expiry date. Trust me, you will know when an egg is a goner: your nose will tell you. You can also test eggs by placing them in a container of about 4 inches of cold water. Very fresh eggs will sink to the bottom and lie on their sides. Older but still safe eggs will stand up on end. If they float, they're too old and should be tossed.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:57 pm
I use pretty much everything past expiry. Which is to say I look at and smell the item and make my own determination. The date is just a suggestion

sevengirl

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:01 pm
Oldest wrote:
Yes I do.

Quick tip to know if your eggs are fresh: put them in a glass of water. If they float to the top, I wouldn't use them. If they drop to the bottom, but not completely (the eggs points up) I would use, but know that means that they are probably on the way out

Came here to say this!!
I basically ignore the dates and do this trick!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen