Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Myrtle Beach SC or Charleston SC or Savannah GA?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 4:09 pm
Anyone been to either of these , suggestions if good idea / what to do / tips ?
Looking for fam mid winter short trip
Pref kosher food / minyan available

Good Friend

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 5:37 pm
Why not all 3? Make it a road trip.

doctorima

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 5:22 pm
I was recently in Charleston and Savannah. Both are great and have nice southern charm, as well as daily minyan. Savannah has delicious and well-priced food you can order through the shul's website. Charleston has a non-kosher restaurant with a Jewish owner that sells double-wrapped meals from the local Chabad that they heat up on the spot. We passed, but it's supposed to be a nice option if you need local food choices.

As for activities, Charleston definitely has more to do than Savannah, which we covered in 1 day. They're about 2 hours apart and can easily be combined. Myrtle Beach is a different type of destination and somewhat more weather-dependent, but it can also be combined with Charleston. I don't know about the food options there though.

egam

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 9:20 am
doctorima wrote:
I was recently in Charleston and Savannah. Both are great and have nice southern charm, as well as daily minyan. Savannah has delicious and well-priced food you can order through the shul's website. Charleston has a non-kosher restaurant with a Jewish owner that sells double-wrapped meals from the local Chabad that they heat up on the spot. We passed, but it's supposed to be a nice option if you need local food choices.

As for activities, Charleston definitely has more to do than Savannah, which we covered in 1 day. They're about 2 hours apart and can easily be combined. Myrtle Beach is a different type of destination and somewhat more weather-dependent, but it can also be combined with Charleston. I don't know about the food options there though.

I’m thinking of going there for Yeshiva vacation with my teenage son. He loves hiking and nature photography. Do you think it’s for him?

doctorima

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 9:28 am
Charleston and Savannah are both very picturesque and have a lot of charm, but they're urban in nature. There is Congaree National Park about 2 hours from Charleston that offers hiking trails, but it's one of my least favorite of the 40+ national parks that I've visited.

Hiking and nature is rough in the winter, because the conditions can be very challenging due to the weather. Would you consider flying to Phoenix and then going to Sedona or the Grand Canyon, or flying to Las Vegas and visiting Bryce and Zion?

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 10:07 am
We just went to myrtle beach, Charleston and Columbia- all in SC. We did a triangle so it was a total of about 6 hours of driving. A few points.

Myrtle beach has tons of options for family friendly things to do and a huge selection of kosher food in the food lion grocery on 38th st. There’s also a kosher fleishig place to eat out. I’m terms of things to do- alligator adventure, too let’s aquarium, sky wheel, helicopter rides, medieval show and dinner (has a kosher option sometimes) and more. With a bunch of kids, I would say this is prob the most exciting and practical option in terms of food and things to do.

Charleston- much more historic so there’s museums and monuments. One of them you need to take a ferry to get to and one is like the intrepid type. You can also tour old plantations. Kosher food wise there’s one place called king st cookies that’s always open and another place on college campus but is only open when college is in session.

Columbia- no kosher food options. We did the riverbanks zoo which was really nice with lots of interactive options like feeding a giraffe, feeding birds, ropes course, etc. and axe throwing. we
stopped at Congaree National park and did the boardwalk trail since we had a stroller. It was a nice walk but nothing major to go special for.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jan 09 2022, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 10:14 am
Double post

amother
Offwhite

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 11:04 am
What is the weather there now? Is it warm?

egam

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:34 pm
doctorima wrote:
Charleston and Savannah are both very picturesque and have a lot of charm, but they're urban in nature. There is Congaree National Park about 2 hours from Charleston that offers hiking trails, but it's one of my least favorite of the 40+ national parks that I've visited.

Hiking and nature is rough in the winter, because the conditions can be very challenging due to the weather. Would you consider flying to Phoenix and then going to Sedona or the Grand Canyon, or flying to Las Vegas and visiting Bryce and Zion?

He does want to go to Grand Canyon. But is it a good idea during this time of year?

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:39 pm
amother [ Offwhite ] wrote:
What is the weather there now? Is it warm?

It is warmer than NY. Based on Beaufort sc it's in the 60's and will go down to the 40's

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:47 pm
Quote:
He does want to go to Grand Canyon. But is it a good idea during this time of year?

I have friends that went about 2 weeks ago and they said it was a disaster of a trip because of the winter weather. It could be things have warmed up, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 12:17 pm
amother [ Firethorn ] wrote:
It is warmer than NY. Based on Beaufort sc it's in the 60's and will go down to the 40's

It was nice one day 68° the next day it was rainy and 40 it felt really cold. So yes its warmer than NY but not if you had a really warm day
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics