Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Help! ADHD 12 yr old son on meds- how will he go to camp?

Sima1

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:06 pm
2 part question: anyone send their med compliant sons to camp? My son is BH very under control and delicious when on meds but we are very on top of giving it to him… when he’s off meds, he can be super annoying and I’m so nervous for him to have a bad experience with camp which is sooo likely if he’s not on meds consistently!

Second question: now he’s takes meds 3 times a day- the long acting doesn’t work on him… anyone have experience or ideas of meds that last a long time in the body so he doesn’t need to take it 3 times a day to function well? Thanks in advance! All help /experience/guidance is appreciated!

Last edited by Sima1 on Mon, Jan 24 2022, 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:11 pm
I don't have personal experience, but there should be a camp nurse that gives out meds as needed

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:14 pm
I once contemplated putting a camp age kid on meds. I was concerned about camp. Her therapist told me every camp nurse has tons of kids that need daily meds, it’s very common. Kid needs to show up by nurse, or nurse pages kid to come, depending on camp I guess. Talk it over with the camp nurse to be sure.

heightsmom

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:15 pm
As dark red said there should be a camp nurse and I’m sure he won’t be the only one.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:23 pm
OMG, I could have written this post except my dc is a girl. The long acting doesn't work well for her either. I will have camp nurse give the meds to her.

The problem for us, though, is that it's not always round the clock, it's more as needed, and I don't think she has enough self-awareness to know when she needs it (when she's being annoying to others etc) and not sure what to do about that. Just have nurse administer 3x a day??

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:33 pm
Definitely send him to camp! He won't be the only one by far. And the nurse has seen it all and then some.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:42 pm
He and half the camp will be coming to the nurse for one med or another.

That is life and he is faaaar from the only one and they all go to camp.

Go on with normal life, send the meds with clear instructions, call nurse before camp to give rundown, and...watch tour son BE”H have a great, healthy, normal camp experience!

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:47 pm
Sima1 wrote:
2 part question: anyone send their med compliant sons to camp? My son is BH very under control and delicious when on meds but we are very on top of giving it to him… when he’s off meds, he can be super annoying and I’m so nervous for him to have a bad experience with camp which is sooo likely if he’s not on meds consistently!

Second question: now he’s takes meds 3 times a day- the long acting doesn’t work on him… anyone have experience or ideas of meds that last a long time in the body so he doesn’t need to take it 3 times a day to function well? Thanks in advance! All help /experience/guidance is appreciated!

Many sleep away camps use a company called J-drugs. Most camps are very on top of making sure the kids gets their meds. Each dose comes in its own package, and the kid goes to the nurse and receives the meds. You can probably ask to make sure that meds are taken in view of the nurse, but I think they do that anyway.
In day camp, there is generally a staff member who you will pick to be in charge.
My son takes 60mg methylphenidate (Ritalin) every am, as soon as he wakes up. There are others that are extended release option as well, you prescriber would probably be the best one to discuss this with, because they know your child’s history.

Sima1

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 8:23 pm
Thanks for the chizuk! I need it Smile

But he needs it right when he wakes up - before davening /breakfast… what if times he needs it doesn’t Coordinate with camp times? What about trips?

Also, my son is really self conscious of friends knowing he takes meds…. He really really doesn’t wanna go to the nurse:( I put his lunch dosage in his lunch bag every day so he doesn’t need to go to the office… teachers know to be aware if not on meds, so he really is taking it… he is very compliant…

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 8:31 pm
OP please correct the topic line from 12 hr to 12 yr coz I can't stop laughing... (Wink) !!!

Sima1

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 8:35 pm

perquacky

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:01 pm
Your son is unlikely to be the only boy in his bunk who'll need to go to the nurse in the morning. There are many kids on meds in sleepaway camp.
I sent two boys who took various meds morning and night to camp, and it was never an issue.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:18 pm
In the last two years especially the number of kids on medication had really increased.
Talking to someone who has been going as Hatzolah/first aid to camp for many years he said he has noticed a real increase . So many kids these days need help falling asleep and take melatonin for example.

One of my kids gets terrible hay fever and needs daily medicine all summer, another needs eye drops every night.
No one ever has to know why your son is going to the nurse.

If he has the awareness of why he’s taking the medication, he knows that it will help him have a more enjoyable summer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)