Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Puberty: Is period close or no?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:51 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
It’s probably not close. Discharge can be from many things including from being wet from things like pleasuring. Also according to my doctor you can give growth hormones until the last stage of puberty so she can actually do something if it was an issue.
Thanks, I did look into other reasons for discharge but none of them seem to apply over here. But I guess it’s still a possibility, maybe I overlooked something.
And yes, as far as I know there are interventions to do even late in the game. Even though I’m not necessarily looking for medical intervention at this point.

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:58 am
OP, I have no answers for you but I certainly understand why you want to know!

I have a healthy 11 year-old whose maturity and (lack of) attention to hygeine etc makes me really concerned about her getting her period. Of course I work with her in these areas constantly (with varying levels of success), but when I know to expect her menarche my concentration will be different. I have an older daughter who was concerned about starting her period when she went to camp at age 12. Of course I prepared her, sent pads etc but it was helpful for her to learn at her checkup that it was unlikely to be imminent (she didn't start until 13 1/2).

OP states that she has her reasons for wanting to know. Why can't we just accept that?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 12:02 pm
My dd had discharge for prob 3 or 4 yrs before she got her period (she would ask me what was in her underwear). Also I got my period 12.5. She got hers 14.5.
Every well visit they would tell her ok it will be happening soon. I had the convo with her at 9 and got her the American girl book and pads.
I had to take her to ortho for scoliosis check every 6 months until she got her period because she had a drop of a curve in her spine. I was a drop nervous at her 14th birthday but BH it came.

Your dd is 10. She is 100% on the normal range.

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 12:27 pm
I would reconsider checking if the discharge could be caused by an infection, or a foreign body being lodged where it shouldn't.
(Sorry tmi, but does it smell weird? Sting? Itch?)
I had a bacterial infection down there when I was 12 and it went undiagnosed for about a year because nobody thought about that possibility even though I complained.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 2:30 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
My dd had discharge for prob 3 or 4 yrs before she got her period (she would ask me what was in her underwear). Also I got my period 12.5. She got hers 14.5.
Every well visit they would tell her ok it will be happening soon. I had the convo with her at 9 and got her the American girl book and pads.
I had to take her to ortho for scoliosis check every 6 months until she got her period because she had a drop of a curve in her spine. I was a drop nervous at her 14th birthday but BH it came.

Your dd is 10. She is 100% on the normal range.
Thanks. Good to know that discharge doesn’t mean 6-12 months to period 100% of the time.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 2:31 pm
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
I would reconsider checking if the discharge could be caused by an infection, or a foreign body being lodged where it shouldn't.
(Sorry tmi, but does it smell weird? Sting? Itch?)
I had a bacterial infection down there when I was 12 and it went undiagnosed for about a year because nobody thought about that possibility even though I complained.
She doesn’t complain at all, it doesn’t seem to bother her. It does smell a bit, but appears to me normal smell for vaginal discharge?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 2:31 pm
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
OP, I have no answers for you but I certainly understand why you want to know!

I have a healthy 11 year-old whose maturity and (lack of) attention to hygeine etc makes me really concerned about her getting her period. Of course I work with her in these areas constantly (with varying levels of success), but when I know to expect her menarche my concentration will be different. I have an older daughter who was concerned about starting her period when she went to camp at age 12. Of course I prepared her, sent pads etc but it was helpful for her to learn at her checkup that it was unlikely to be imminent (she didn't start until 13 1/2).

OP states that she has her reasons for wanting to know. Why can't we just accept that?
Thanks for this!

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:42 pm
The fact that she only has breast buds would also indicate she still has time before period. In my experience, girls usually have quite developed breasts by the time they get their period.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 4:04 pm
amother [ Quince ] wrote:
The fact that she only has breast buds would also indicate she still has time before period. In my experience, girls usually have quite developed breasts by the time they get their period.
Thanks, that’s somewhat reassuring.

She might have more than just buds, it’s hard to tell because she’s overweight.

werty

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 8:29 am
What does height have to do with it ?
Just wondering

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:08 pm
werty wrote:
What does height have to do with it ?
Just wondering
Height growth is closely related with puberty, as kids go through puberty their growth plates fuse and when puberty is complete they can no longer grow taller.

Some kids who go through early puberty follow a pattern where they are very tall compared to their peers, but then they stop growing early and end up short. Kids who are very tall for their age may have already gone through their puberty growth spurt.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 3:21 pm
I've never heard that periods start 6-12 months after discharge.

My DD has had discharge since age 8. Now she is almost 10 and has no other signs of puberty. No breast buds or pubic hair. I've spoken to her about periods but I'm not expecting her to start any time soon.

I don't remember when I started getting discharge but I remember that at 10 years old I definitely had it. I started my periods at 14.

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 3:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I read up about the tanner stages and took dd to an endocrinologist and still confused.

Dd is newly 10. She has breast buds for about 2 years, small breakouts of acne in t zone for about 6 months, and yellow vaginal discharge every day for at least 6 months, possibly longer. But she does not have any pubic hair.

Everything I read said discharge means period within 6 months to a year. But that pubic hair invariably comes before the period. And she doesn’t have any.

Bloodwork from endocrinologist and bone age scan is NOT consistent with her period being close, according to the dr. But then what about the discharge??

Can anyone with experience with teenage girls help me out ? Is your experience with your girls consistent with what I’m reading online? Would you worry that a girl that has no pubic hair is getting her period soon?

I already spoke with her about it, and were ready either way. I’m just more concerned about her height to be honest.

I had these things as well but period only came at 16.
(I have a double digit amount of kids Kneinhara)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 8:30 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I've never heard that periods start 6-12 months after discharge.

My DD has had discharge since age 8. Now she is almost 10 and has no other signs of puberty. No breast buds or pubic hair. I've spoken to her about periods but I'm not expecting her to start any time soon.

I don't remember when I started getting discharge but I remember that at 10 years old I definitely had it. I started my periods at 14.
Thank you. Appreciate this.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 8:31 pm
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:
I had these things as well but period only came at 16.
(I have a double digit amount of kids Kneinhara)
Thank you this is reassuring
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics