Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
If your teen boys are not in Chassidish Yeshivos
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Cyclamen

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:30 pm
amother [ Tealblue ] wrote:
Do these boys come home with homework and tests to study for?

No some learn on their own. Why would there be homework when learning is done in yeshiva?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:39 pm
Wow these hours are crazy ! In my modern orthodox Yeshiva they’re done School 6/630.

10 is so late, major props to them

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:42 pm
amother [ Cantaloupe ] wrote:
Wow these hours are crazy ! In my modern orthodox Yeshiva they’re done School 6/630.

10 is so late, major props to them

What does your teen do from 6:30 u til bedtime? It’s interesting to hear from other angles.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What does your teen do from 6:30 u til bedtime? It’s interesting to hear from other angles.

Dinner and homework and depending on the night either sports or a rabbi shiur and usually some screen time

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:49 pm
iyar wrote:
I know good boys who survived the system and I know it's been this way for years, but doesn't this sound like child abuse?

Why child abuse? Most boys like it, they're bored at home.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:51 pm
My brothers go to a classic mo high school and they get back around 6:30 and they have tests and homework to do but honestly most of the time they are on there phones or watching movies, it’s horrible and a horrible system that has no structure for boys

amother
Maple

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:57 pm
For my son had home there is no screen time - watching or phone and minimal computer usage.
In yeshiva during free time they play ball (baseball, basketball, football), excersize (jogging, push-ups), cook (mainly cholent or eggs), listen to music, play keyboard, ping pong, shmooze. Very healthy human interactions.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:59 pm
amother [ Cantaloupe ] wrote:
Dinner and homework and depending on the night either sports or a rabbi shiur and usually some screen time

Oooh homework? Now if given the choice I’m undecided if I’d want them home earlier with homework or later without.
Lol I despise homework.

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 4:29 pm
Quote:
For my son had home there is no screen time - watching or phone and minimal computer usage.
In yeshiva during free time they play ball (baseball, basketball, football), excersize (jogging, push-ups), cook (mainly cholent or eggs), listen to music, play keyboard, ping pong, shmooze. Very healthy human interactions.

My DS is in 9th and is done at 8 most nights, 9 on Thursday. It is amazing that he has opportunities to do all of the above at yeshiva every day. If he were at home he would never be self motivated enough to do these things. He has minimal to no homework.
Being in mesivta has been the most amazing thing for him. You'd think it would be hard to be out for so long all day, but on the contrary the structure has literally changed his life.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 4:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My boys and girls went to dati leumi and/or secular high schools in Israel and they were back home anytime from two pm some days to four pm other days.

What did they do? First of all, there was tons of homework, tests, bagrut. For the more serious/studious pupils, that pretty much takes up all your evening during some months.

Then there were friends. Hobbies. One kid got a part time job (that's actually what I did throughout high school). And yes, screen time.

One of my boys was originally in a school that finished much later (around six) and he was miserable. Kids need downtime and free time too.

As an adult, I would hate to be at work till 10 pm every evening, even if they did have lots of breaks. But if your kids like it, then to each their own.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 4:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oooh homework? Now if given the choice I’m undecided if I’d want them home earlier with homework or later without.
Lol I despise homework.

I despise homework in the lower grades, when you need to help the kid do it.

In the higher grades it is important. Kids need to develop the skills to study on their own, not just in a group setting with the teacher guiding them.

Things like learning how to write an academic paper or present a proper written argument are tasks you learn at school and then practice at home.

cuties' mom

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 4:41 pm
Ds finishes at 8:15 twice a week and 6:30 the other nights. He has homework on his early nights.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:21 am
Ds 14 is dorming for the first year in yeshiva and loving it. Cutting out the commute gives him more time to learn early or later and hang with the other guys.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:31 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
My boys and girls went to dati leumi and/or secular high schools in Israel and they were back home anytime from two pm some days to four pm other days.

What did they do? First of all, there was tons of homework, tests, bagrut. For the more serious/studious pupils, that pretty much takes up all your evening during some months.

Then there were friends. Hobbies. One kid got a part time job (that's actually what I did throughout high school). And yes, screen time.

One of my boys was originally in a school that finished much later (around six) and he was miserable. Kids need downtime and free time too.

As an adult, I would hate to be at work till 10 pm every evening, even if they did have lots of breaks. But if your kids like it, then to each their own.

Your teen boys came back from DL high school at two to four pm? Really, which ones - or were they not yeshiva highschools. My son dorms but I remember that my friends and brothers would come back at six - eight - usually eating breakfast, lunch, and supper at school - and this was at the local yeshiva high school that accepts everyone. Oh wait, they usually have one day where they finish early - which is usally used for Bnei Akiva. But maybe things have changed since my time.
I agree that staying in school until 10 pm sounds way too long to me and even eight is pushing the envolope - makes sense that things would have changed.

I didn't notice the *secular* high school, they do end a lot earlier than DL schools (as I was surprised to hear do Beis Yaakov schools as well).

salt

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:52 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Your teen boys came back from DL high school at two to four pm? Really, which ones - or were they not yeshiva highschools. My son dorms but I remember that my friends and brothers would come back at six - eight - usually eating breakfast, lunch, and supper at school - and this was at the local yeshiva high school that accepts everyone. Oh wait, they usually have one day where they finish early - which is usally used for Bnei Akiva. But maybe things have changed since my time.
I agree that staying in school until 10 pm sounds way too long to me and even eight is pushing the envolope - makes sense that things would have changed.

I didn't notice the *secular* high school, they do end a lot earlier than DL schools (as I was surprised to hear do Beis Yaakov schools as well).

Beit Yaakov high schools finish around 3:30pm. Students can spend a lot of time on homework and studying for tests, if they're serious, but mine definitely have time for plenty of friends/hobbies/talking on the phone/ babysitting too.
I guess they finish at a reasonable time as they are encouraged to help out at home too, or at least be available to help if needed.

And to answer OP's, in yeshiva ketana (high school age) in Jerusalem, my boys finish at 9:30, that's after dinner and maariv. No homework or studying for tests (that's done in yeshiva, or on shabbat). It is a long day.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:54 am
chanchy123 wrote:

Yes, the boys eventually ended up in secular high school, though they were in dati leumi yeshivot tichoniyot type schools for junior high and used to return at four.
I am not a proponent of long days for anyone.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:01 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Yes, the boys eventually ended up in secular high school, though they were in dati leumi yeshivot tichoniyot type schools for junior high and used to return at four.
I am not a proponent of long days for anyone.

That makes sense.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:04 am
salt wrote:
Beit Yaakov high schools finish around 3:30pm. Students can spend a lot of time on homework and studying for tests, if they're serious, but mine definitely have time for plenty of friends/hobbies/talking on the phone/ babysitting too.
I guess they finish at a reasonable time as they are encouraged to help out at home too, or at least be available to help if needed.

And to answer OP's, in yeshiva ketana (high school age) in Jerusalem, my boys finish at 9:30, that's after dinner and maariv. No homework or studying for tests (that's done in yeshiva, or on shabbat). It is a long day.

I remember a relative who teaches in a BY saying that the girls finish at 1 pm every day, I might have remembered wrong.
Do girls in BY high schools have school on Fridays? In DL ulpanot it's pretty standard for gils to have Fridays off and then the school days during the week are on the longer side.

salt

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:16 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I remember a relative who teaches in a BY saying that the girls finish at 1 pm every day, I might have remembered wrong.
Do girls in BY high schools have school on Fridays? In DL ulpanot it's pretty standard for gils to have Fridays off and then the school days during the week are on the longer side.

Yes, in my experience they have school on Fridays. They have fast days off.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:20 am
salt wrote:
Yes, in my experience they have school on Fridays. They have fast days off.

Interesting, in DL schools fast days are usually half days.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children