Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Flying with kids
Previous  1  2

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Too late for the lap seat! I got the headphones for my toddler. I hope we'll manage passing the baby back and forth. Sad

Can you bring the toddlers car seat at least? This will settle him.

Also, before getting in the plane ask them if they have an extra seat. I travelled alone with my baby a few weeks ago on a 6 hour flight, I asked for a seat and b”H they gave it to me for free. But It’s a 3 hour flight, don’t panic. I did a lap infant on a 12 hour flight. That was memorable. Never again.

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:15 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Why would a toddler need a car seat on a plane? They need space and want to move around. In my experience, toddlers refuse to be confined for so long, especially on a plane.

My kids sleep much better in their car seats than on the plane seat itself. If we're ever taking a red eye, or even just a flight past 7pm, I shlep car seats along.

Oldest

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:18 pm
I've actually found different. That my son slept better on the plane when he was stretched out. He would put his head on my lap and stretch his legs over the seat and rest his feet on the armrest at the end.

OP, for this specifically, it comes down to how you think your child will sleep better. Either in a car seat, or on your lap. And also, if you're ok with not being able to get up the entire time your child is sleeping.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:19 pm
amother [ Steelblue ] wrote:
My kids sleep much better in their car seats than on the plane seat itself. If we're ever taking a red eye, or even just a flight past 7pm, I shlep car seats along.

Even for a toddler? I've always found it disastrous.

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:21 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Even for a toddler? I've always found it disastrous.

Yup. My 4 yr and 2 yr old love their car seats. But they really sleep. I probably wouldn't take them for a short flight during the day.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:24 pm
Oldest wrote:
I've actually found different. That my son slept better on the plane when he was stretched out. He would put his head on my lap and stretch his legs over the seat and rest his feet on the armrest at the end.

OP, for this specifically, it comes down to how you think your child will sleep better. Either in a car seat, or on your lap. And also, if you're ok with not being able to get up the entire time your child is sleeping.

Guess you got to know your child. My child had such an easy time setting in and feeling cozy. The flights we didn’t have gigs carseat with was a nightmare until he got older.

mochamix18

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:33 pm
amother [ Honeysuckle ] wrote:
3 hours is nothing! I’ve done lap infants from. Y to Greece and NY to Italy. You’ll be fine!

I was going to say we have done many EY flights with lap infants and no extra seat. It’s doable.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:53 pm
Oldest wrote:

My babies never sleep on flights! Ever! Oh the crying on the overnight from NY to Barcelona made the pilot almost bring the plane down. Bottom line: we avoid night flights since no one (Adults or babies) don’t sleep. Makes no difference with or without bassinet, with or without carrier, with or without car seat. Gd bless babies who sleep on flights.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 2:35 pm
See if you can check in all hand luggage and only bring bags on you will need for the journey.

Zehava

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 5:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Any practical tips to make the packing, airport, flight, etc. easier and smoother? Give me all you've got! (3 hour flight with toddler and lap infant)

Change of clothes for everyone, headphones for toddler. Little ziplock bags with a bottles worth of formula for infant. Mellow-chew for toddler if it’s a night flight, loads of snacks if it’s a day flight. No individual backpacks keep everything in one carry-on besides a diaper bag. Baby carrier for the infant. Pacifier or bottle during takeoff or landing.

Zehava

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 5:33 pm
amother [ Honeysuckle ] wrote:
My babies never sleep on flights! Ever! Oh the crying on the overnight from NY to Barcelona made the pilot almost bring the plane down. Bottom line: we avoid night flights since no one (Adults or babies) don’t sleep. Makes no difference with or without bassinet, with or without carrier, with or without car seat. Gd bless babies who sleep on flights.

Bassinets are the worst. Only put up after takeoff and then before landing you have to wake baby up. Best is a car seat.

Oldest

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 5:41 pm
Also, regarding carry ons. Only take easily carried bags. Take either bags with wheels or backpacks or fanny packs. Anything else will just kill your bag cuz there is a lot of schlepping done while flying

zigi

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 9:43 am
Packing cubes or large challah bags have socks under wear tights etc one bag for each person. Have plastic bags or a laundry bag to put dirty clothes. Unpacking was dumping everything straight into a laundry bag.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 9:48 am
I traveled many times with infants/ toddlers.. and other kids. What works is-
Yes to double carriage. I hand it in at the gate. Way easier than 2 singles etc
No car seat- lap kid sits on my lap( what is better than mommys lap). I sit at the aisle seat so the infant is entertained looking around and not feeling claustrophobic. If you breastfeed do so at take off( kid is calm). Bring headphones as suggested. Plenty of snacks, interesting sweets, lots of little activities like stickers, play doh, new cheap toys......
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics