Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
After opening Vanguard acct and moving $ from my bank into

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 10:11 pm
my Vanguard account, how do I now invest that money, The vanguard website is confusing.

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 10:21 pm
Your Vanguard account is the investment. What's the question?

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 10:52 pm
I just had this. You open the account, move money in, and then you need to purchase shares in whatever fund you are interested in.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 12:58 am
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:
Your Vanguard account is the investment. What's the question?

If Vanguard works the same way as other big brokerages like Schwab and Fidelity and TD, then after you've transferred the money to Vanguard, it sits in a core account, not invested. You need to login to your Vanguard account and then place trade orders to buy the securities you want to purchase, using their trading symbols and the amount of each that you want to buy.

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:01 am
doctorima wrote:
If Vanguard works the same way as other big brokerages like Schwab and Fidelity and TD, then after you've transferred the money to Vanguard, it sits in a core account, not invested. You need to login to your Vanguard account and then place trade orders to buy the securities you want to purchase, using their trading symbols and the amount of each that you want to buy.

Ah, ok. When we first did this, a gazillion years ago we bought straight into a few index funds and that was it. Sorry, op.

amother
Maple

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:54 am
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:
Ah, ok. When we first did this, a gazillion years ago we bought straight into a few index funds and that was it. Sorry, op.

They definitely changed their account model. It used to be that you would invest in funds directly from outside. Now your assets sit in the Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund - a "settlement fund" - earning nothing until you invest in a specific fund.

amother
Broom

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 2:04 am
I hope OP doesn't mind me moving off topic a little - but I'm also dabbling in stocks.
I'm not in the USA, but I'm looking to open a brokerage account with someone recognized and reliable.
Someone suggested Interactive Brokers - has anyone here heard of them?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 10:07 am
Hi, OP.
Do you know what you want to buy into?
Here are step by step instructions, if you already have money in your Federal Money Market Account.
- Click on the last row, "Buy and Sell".
- Click "Buy Funds" under the "invest with Vanguard Mutual Funds" list.
The next page will come up "where's the money going?"
You should see your federal money market account with your available balance and a box you can check that says "Add another Vanguard Mutual Fund". You will have to enter the name, symbol or number of the mutual fund you want to invest in. Another box will pop up and you will enter the amount you want to buy into.
Hit continue.
It will ask you where the money is coming from- from your settlement fund. Make sure you have enough $ In your balance to trade.
Hit continue, and you will need to accept the prospectus.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 10:11 am
amother [ Broom ] wrote:
I hope OP doesn't mind me moving off topic a little - but I'm also dabbling in stocks.
I'm not in the USA, but I'm looking to open a brokerage account with someone recognized and reliable.
Someone suggested Interactive Brokers - has anyone here heard of them?

I think you should start a spinoff.
Op asked a specific question, and your post is completely unrelated and will make OPs post go completely off topic and not only not answer her question, but also probably go onto your topic so she can't get her answer...

I use Vanguard for Mutual funds, not stocks, which is more risky and a whole diff ballgame.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 10:25 am
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
I think you should start a spinoff.
Op asked a specific question, and your post is completely unrelated and will make OPs post go completely off topic and not only not answer her question, but also probably go onto your topic so she can't get her answer...

I use Vanguard for Mutual funds, not stocks, which is more risky and a whole diff ballgame.

This.

Op do you know which funds you want to buy?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 8:20 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
This.

Op do you know which funds you want to buy?
Not sure, someone recommended VTSAX, VFIAX, VTIAX, VTWAX?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 8:21 pm
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
Hi, OP.
Do you know what you want to buy into?
Here are step by step instructions, if you already have money in your Federal Money Market Account.
- Click on the last row, "Buy and Sell".
- Click "Buy Funds" under the "invest with Vanguard Mutual Funds" list.
The next page will come up "where's the money going?"
You should see your federal money market account with your available balance and a box you can check that says "Add another Vanguard Mutual Fund". You will have to enter the name, symbol or number of the mutual fund you want to invest in. Another box will pop up and you will enter the amount you want to buy into.
Hit continue.
It will ask you where the money is coming from- from your settlement fund. Make sure you have enough $ In your balance to trade.
Hit continue, and you will need to accept the prospectus.
Thanks for taking the time to write this out, I'm going to try this soon.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 8:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not sure, someone recommended VTSAX, VFIAX, VTIAX, VTWAX?

Vfiax is a good place to start.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 8:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to write this out, I'm going to try this soon.

Np.
We messed up the first time so happy to help!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics