Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
What and when was the last thing you sewed or the like?
Previous  1  2

vintagebknyc

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 8:24 pm
amother [ Zinnia ] wrote:
My school managed to embed a hatred for sewing in me. They had mandatory sewing courses and the teachers were horrible.
If an item needs alterations I don’t buy it.
I do enjoy crocheting but I’m not good at it.

If you use the right yarn—maybe with some Lycra in it—it hides mistakes!

newinbp

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 9:11 pm
Anyone recommend a sewing machine I could buy for a beginner? I'd love to learn, I keep getting intimidated by reviews that day they jam, etc, as I'm not so good at troubleshooting things. I bought a shabbos robe from tottini on sale and tried to cut and sew it into a jumper for a 12 month old, ended up taking it to an alterations place and it's wonderful! I wish I could have done it myself, but now she matches her sisters and it's so fun Smile

tigerwife

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 9:17 pm
I moved the buttons on my daughters’ uniform jumpers this year, does that count?

shanie5

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 9:25 pm
I made hundreds of masks and sold them. Also made masks and had them screen printed for a couple weddings.
Last week I finally picked up my sons Tallis bag I've been working on for way too long. (needlepoint). Should have finished it summer of 2020!

miami85

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 9:28 pm
newinbp wrote:
Anyone recommend a sewing machine I could buy for a beginner? I'd love to learn, I keep getting intimidated by reviews that day they jam, etc, as I'm not so good at troubleshooting things. I bought a shabbos robe from tottini on sale and tried to cut and sew it into a jumper for a 12 month old, ended up taking it to an alterations place and it's wonderful! I wish I could have done it myself, but now she matches her sisters and it's so fun Smile

Brother is considered a decent brand and not too expensive. Singer's quality has gone down over the years. I got my Brother off of FB marketplace pre-pandemic, can't hurt to check there. Lots of people started sewing during the pandemic but may not necessarily have time now.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 8:20 am
I completely forgot. I made my ds a Harry Potter cape for Purim and I fixed a whole bunch of my daughters clothing by force. I hate mending!! She came home with a pile of clothing to be fixed and said, here please do it, it’s easy. If it’s so easy, you do it!! Twisted Evil She never had any interest.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 8:50 am
I only sew on buttons if I need it urgently. Otherwise, I'm happy to support my local tailor. I'd rather pay $1-2 per button than have to do it myself.

torahtots

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 9:04 am
My toddler took a button out of the sewing box and put it on her belly button. And then put buttons on the stomachs of her dolls and stuffed animals. So I sewed belly "buttons": on to her dolls and stuffed animals.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 10:24 am
I fixed my couch and mended two pairs of DH’s pants.

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 10:42 am
torahtots wrote:
My toddler took a button out of the sewing box and put it on her belly button. And then put buttons on the stomachs of her dolls and stuffed animals. So I sewed belly "buttons": on to her dolls and stuffed animals.

Absolutely adorable!!!

Roots

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 1:41 pm
I would love to hear more about these tefillin bags
what do you sew exactly? velvet, or faux leather like store bought one ?

Roots

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 1:45 pm
newinbp wrote:

this is mine
https://www.amazon.com/Brother.....K83DC
I love it I began as a brginner and now am much much better
I see it has been discontinued

theres another similar one
https://www.amazon.com/Brother.....r=8-1
which has crazy ratings like almost 20000 and 4.5 stars
looks very good

read reviews on more than one website

STovah

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 2:16 pm
Roots wrote:
I would love to hear more about these tefillin bags
what do you sew exactly? velvet, or faux leather like store bought one ?

Needlepoint - It’s a canvas that gets sewn onto a velvet or leather bag.

shanie5

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 8:36 pm
STovah wrote:
Needlepoint - It’s a canvas that gets sewn onto a velvet or leather bag.

It's not sewn ONto it's sewn INto. The canvas becomes the front of the bag, the back is leather or velvet and a lining is added.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 11:21 pm
I used to sew clothing (from scratch) but haven't done much of that in years; it's too time consuming. Recently I like doing small projects--like turning a t-shirt/sweatshirt into a dress for my toddler daughter by cutting and gathering an adult t-shirt and attaching as a skirt (no hemming needed!) Most recently I had to shorten a velvet maxi skirt I bought myself. I needed to cut off the bottom 4 inches of the skirt--which I then gathered and sewed to the bottom of a too-short velvet dress I had bought my daughter. It took much longer than expected but we're enjoying the products.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing