Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Drinking water at night

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 4:45 pm
My 2.5 year old insists on having a sippy cup of water in her crib before she lies down. She drinks a lot, and we often refill it.
If she wakes up in middle of the night, she also needs water.
How can I break this habit? It is becoming an issue with leaking diapers in the morning, and also won't help with toilet training.

Thank you for all your advice!

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 4:49 pm
Just switch to no refills.

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 5:00 pm
What’s the problem? Of course give her a sippy cup at night. Just change her diaper In middle of the night if it gets too wet.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 5:45 pm
amother [ Mintgreen ] wrote:
Just switch to no refills.

Then she gets really upset and screams

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 5:50 pm
amother [ Almond ] wrote:
What’s the problem? Of course give her a sippy cup at night. Just change her diaper In middle of the night if it gets too wet.

I would like to try not to have to get up in middle of the night for a habit that would have to be broken at some point anyways.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 5:56 pm
im not understanding.
your toddler is thirsty, its not milk, its water. shes keeping hydrated. how will this effect potty training?

change her in the middle of the night if you must, but to not give her water? sounds strange maybe im missing something

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:02 pm
You can try having her drink more during the day, or a humidifier so she's not so dry at night, but I drink an entire water bottle at night still...

SG18

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:03 pm
I always drink water when I wake up in the middle of the night. Haven't had to break the habit yet!

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:04 pm
I'm not sure if the drinking is because she is thirsty or it the way she soothes herself into sleeping. Either way it won't be east to find a replacement.

Could you obviate the problem of needing to refill in the middle of the night by just giving her two cups to begin with? You could even explain that one is for now and the other is for if she wakes up in the night. It might takes a few (a lot) of repetitions, but she should get the message eventually.

Sorry I don't have a solution to the diaper issue.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:23 pm
I like what Elfrida said.

Plus overnight diapers or double diapers or diapers with a diaper pad inside.

Always flip the ruffles on the diaper too.

sequoia

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:25 pm
It’s not a habit. She’s thirsty, her body needs water.

amother
Fern

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:27 pm
Why would she need to break the habit eventually? It's not milk, it's not a bottle. It's water.
Most of my kids keep a sippy cup/closeable cup of water near their bed, the older kids keep a water bottle. What's so bad about drinking water if you're thirsty at night?

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 8:02 pm
Drinking water at night isn’t a bad habit. It’s great to drink at all times. I always drink at night and plan on doing so for many years to come. Drinking is great. Why do want her to break this habit? If she is thirsty why would you deprive her of water? Hydration is so important, it’s great that she knows how to take care of herself.

amother
Springgreen

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 9:17 pm
Is your heat on? I get really thirsty in the winter (NYC) and would feel bad taking the water away from my toddler. Live in building wear management adjusts (and pays for) heat. It can get really hot.

Is he/she drinking enough by day?

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 9:56 pm
All my kids (2-9) sleep with a water bottle next to their beds. Even me and dh do! We drink right before bed and wake up in middle of the night if we’re thirsty. You know that terrible feeling when you wake up because your throat is dry and you need a drink that second? Don’t let her go through the agony. Let her have the sippy cup.
At the same time, you might want to check if she’s a mouth breather- that makes ppl dry out faster and feel the need to drink in middle of sleep.
Also like another poster mentioned, is she drinking a lot during the day? Maybe find out form her doctor how much she should drink during the day. Is she home with you? Do you know how much she drinks by morah?

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 10:06 pm
All my kids take water to bed with them, my older kids have water bottles. People are thirsty at night what's wrong with drinking water?

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 10:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I would like to try not to have to get up in middle of the night for a habit that would have to be broken at some point anyways.

I would put an extra sippy cup in the crib so that you don't have to go in middle of the night to refill.

amother
Caramel

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 10:15 pm
My toddler has a sippy cup with water in his crib at night.
My older kids have a water bottle next to their bed.
Has not affected toilet training at all BH.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics