Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Gefilte fish

ohbaby!

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 9:57 am
Anyone has arecipe for regular gefilte fish??

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 10:16 am
are you grinding your own fish?

ohbaby!

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 10:32 am
yes!!!

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 4:14 pm
Here's mine, made it last night and must say it came out YUM~ - not completely 'normal' as there are no eggs, and there is g'brokts (which I suppose can be replaced with potato starch, although I couldn't tell you how much)
* keep all bones and heads
For fish:
4 lbs minced carp (about a 7-8lb fish)
2 lbs. minced pike (about 4 lb fish)
1.5 lbs. minced white fish (about 2-3 fish)
5 large carrots minced/chopped very fine (I process them in the food processor)
2-3 onions pureed (same way as carrots)
4 boards of shmura matzo ground up
1 c. sugar
5-6 Tblsp. salt
2-3 Tbsp. pepper

mix fish with sugar and matzo meal and let sit 20-30 min. to absorb flavor
add carrots, onions and remaining ingredients

For cooking:
option A:
in a large pot make a soup/yo'ech with the heads and bones of fish, carrots, celery, onions, dill, pepper, salt and sugar. Let simmer 30-40 min. then when it is in a rolling boil drop fish loaves or balls of any size in. REduce to med. heat and let simmer in covered pot 30 -50 min. depending on size of balls/loaves.

option B:
cut a piece of parchment paper and scoop fish mixture onto paper (about 1-2 c. worth) shape into a log and roll b/w parchemtn to make round. Freeze. Bake or boil as you'd like.

opiton C:
saute 2 onions and 3 clvoes of garlic. Add 3-6 c. of tomato puree (or sauce) and 1/2 that amount in water or wine or a combo. Season to taste with salt, pepper, sugar, basil, oregano and/or parsley. Drop in small fish balls and let simmer 30 min or so. Serve on a bed of shredded cabbage with fresh green grapes! Can be eated warm or cold

Enjoy!

btw. I did a bit of all 3 - the fish balls in stock I got 30 (plus the one we sampled) mini loaves (about the size of your palm). I got 6 forzen loaves for future (they are prob. about 1-1.5 lb each). and I got 24 bolf ball sized gefilte balls in the tomato sauce.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics