Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Idea I had
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 9:37 pm
amother [ Cyclamen ] wrote:
Yes it can work. I know someone that does this for a business in nyc area. I don't know how much she charges. She does suppers and also shabbos food.

Who is this?

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 9:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all your replies! I live in Lakewood...
As a chassidish woman, I only cook with heimish hechsheirim so maybe some people would go for it?

Maybe chassidim would go for that. I’m yeshivish I know I wouldn’t. I don’t want to sound harsh, I love the idea. But I know I and probably many others would want a hechsher.

Aurora

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 9:41 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Maybe chassidim would go for that. I’m yeshivish I know I wouldn’t. I don’t want to sound harsh, I love the idea. But I know I and probably many others would want a hechsher.

I'm MO and I would also want a hechsher. Which makes me sad because I really like this idea.

Both DH & I work full time and I usually do supplement Shabbat foods with bought foods, especially in the winter when Fridays are so short.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 9:42 pm
Recently a few posts on here were asking for that.

On Instagram a lady posts who cooks and sells food in bulk.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 9:48 pm
I think it’s a great idea. My mother recently moved to Lakewood and while she was an amazing cook in her days - she isn’t as able to to cook as much now. While we (her kids) try to do her shopping and meal prep - she would love the option to buy a home cooked meal without bothering us.
I know that she would rather buy a few days worth of home cooked meals and freeze than getting takeout.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 9:48 pm
I would definitely utilize this particularly as a gift to postpartum mothers.

I’m in Lakewood, yeshivish (depending on who you ask lol), and I’m not sure if the hechsher would be an issue. I would discuss with our Rav- who is coincidentally chasidish.

amother
Molasses

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 9:50 pm
love the idea but I also think you need a hashgocha

mra01385

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 10:15 pm
There is no Bikur Cholim in Lakewood that provides meals for people in need? The Bikur Cholim of far rockaway and five towns provides that kind of service and it’s free of charge.

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 10:28 pm
I like the idea. I live in Lakewood and would totally buy from you. (Working yeshivish type here)

momallhours

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 10:33 pm
I would love it in lakewood! after a baby specifically Im hungry for real good homemade food and my husband has it touh lol why dont you just like takeout 😂.

To work it would have to be good food - lakewood became very big foodies wont go if its not good!
How would the hechsher work I know Rabbi Spiegel does hechsheri on home cooks..
Can you order online? Whatsapp

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 11:11 pm
There is someone in Toms River that just started selling suppers recently. Think it’s 90$ (I could be off) for supper for 2

Edited to add: confirmed used to be 80$ and now jumped to 90. I agree it’s an obscene amount but ppl order you can even check her out on Insta

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 11:15 pm
momallhours wrote:
I would love it in lakewood! after a baby specifically Im hungry for real good homemade food and my husband has it touh lol why dont you just like takeout 😂.

To work it would have to be good food - lakewood became very big foodies wont go if its not good!
How would the hechsher work I know Rabbi Spiegel does hechsheri on home cooks..
Can you order online? Whatsapp

Rabbi Spiegel from Ridge Area?
My only issue with getting a hechsher is that the cost would be prohibitive and then I wouldn't be able to keep the price low...
But maybe I'll call him. Momallhours, is that the Rabbi Spiegel you are referring to?

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 11:21 pm
No hashgacha would be a dealbreaker for me.

(And 90 for 2 people would mean almost $300 for my family. Hard pass on that too!)

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 11:47 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
There is someone in Toms River that just started selling suppers recently. Think it’s 90$ (I could be off) for supper for 2

I hope you’re off lol cuz that’s a ton!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 11:48 pm
Op can I already order supper for every night the week before pesach! Seriously! I might be having a lot of guests for yt, I ’ll be so busy with yt cooking I can’t make suppers too! And my kids hate takeout!

I had a baby once erev Pesach and I felt bad to get meals from people who were making yt. I ordered from someone, who kept her kitchen chometz since she was going away for yt. I got supper from her every night. Was amazing.

We’re 10 ppl so I would want to pay max $200 a meal for all.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 3:57 am
Can OP write on her add (if she decides to work at this) exactly which hechsher she is using for the meat, rice will be pre checked, flours are sifted already. Asking seriously, a Chassidish woman in Lakewood and you wouldn't eat the food? OP- I wish I would be able to buy from you but I don't live in Lakewood. May you have Hatzlacha in your work.

Aurora

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 9:14 am
amother [ Lightyellow ] wrote:
Can OP write on her add (if she decides to work at this) exactly which hechsher she is using for the meat, rice will be pre checked, flours are sifted already. Asking seriously, a Chassidish woman in Lakewood and you wouldn't eat the food? OP- I wish I would be able to buy from you but I don't live in Lakewood. May you have Hatzlacha in your work.

I would eat in her kitchen, at any time, and am pretty sure she wouldn't eat in mine.

I said this because I had heard before that a business requires a mashgiach since there may be a conflict of interest for the owner, so I also double checked. It seems this only really applies to a business where the owner is not religious or not Jewish.

Rabbi Moshe Feinstein, Yoreh Deah 1;55), R' Feinstein had allowed mashgichim to trust a factory which says it uses only vegetable (rather than animal) fats, because of the halachic principle uman lo mera umnutei, craftsmen (or tradesmen) won’t risk their livelihood.

The ok further mentions that "According to halacha, a G-d fearing owner is acceptable as a mashgiach over his own establishment. " but doesn't list a source for this halacha. https://www.ok.org/article/ins.....-out/

Shulchan Aruch Y.D. 129:3There is a biblical principle that a single adult Jew is trusted about the permitted status of an object or food. He is not trusted to say something is forbidden. (Sources about where women count the same are varied, but there is on what to rely)

In short, I was mistaken. but this would only be true as long as you were the person doing everything.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 9:43 am
Maybe to try it out do it like a subscription or only do certain nights a week. There's definitely a market for certain people who would know ahead of time that they need supper ordered every Sunday or every Thursday night and would pay monthly to know that it's done. And it might be easier for you than a bunch of orders coming in at different times.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 9:59 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Maybe to try it out do it like a subscription or only do certain nights a week. There's definitely a market for certain people who would know ahead of time that they need supper ordered every Sunday or every Thursday night and would pay monthly to know that it's done. And it might be easier for you than a bunch of orders coming in at different times.

Love that idea!

Who is the lady on intsa who does it? Would love to check out her page!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:04 am
I was thinking about the whole hechsher thing last night. It's funny that a lot of ppl say it would be a deal breaker...If you would be my neighbor you would eat from my kitchen!
I guess it's just anon on a anon forum so ppl are wary...
But maybe I'll call Rabbi Spiegel.

And I really like the idea of a monthly subscription say, for every Wednesday night. Makes my life a little easier:)
I love cooking delicious, heimish, food and have been sending care packages to ppl who are going through medical crisis with a big organization here...so I thought why not make this into a business?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics