Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Whats the most exotic place you spent shabbos?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 10:22 pm
And how did you manage it?

Zehava

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 10:24 pm
Plenty of places but I make sure there’s a chabad house nearby. So it’s pretty manageable. And I get to meet interesting people.
Most exotic one was probably Phuket, Thailand

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 10:36 pm
Rural Kenya. I was single at the time so no kids to worry about. It was just like going camping for shabbos anywhere else, except cooler animals to watch.

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 10:38 pm
Hunkered down in a hurricane after being evacuated from our beachfront hotel minutes before shabbos. We got the last room at a hotel more inland. There was no electricity, no lights. Blinds had to be drawn and stay away from windows. They told us to stay in the bathtub but my friends and I couldn't manage that all shabbos. Memories! Adventure that I tell the kids about.

amother
Begonia

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 10:39 pm
Doha, Qatar. It was lonely, but I made it.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 10:43 pm
On a cruise. It wasnt a fully kosher cruise
But they had a kosher dining room with kosher catering

amother
Brickred

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 10:58 pm
Probably not exotic but we would go camping , tent and all! Tent, Sleeping bags, Gas stove for warming food, gas lantern, areas would be totally pitch black after sundown, water with plenty of sulfar! We packed up,(or really my parents would as we were young, but helped) and packed up the car and we drove for days. We lived in the Midwest, and one time made it down to California.(usually we camped 2-3 states over). We would have stopovers in different places and pitch up the tent etc. stay for a day or so, and continue on our way. Again probably not exotic, but great family memories and camping out in weird places for Shabbos.

newinbp

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 11:01 pm
Tokyo Japan!

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 11:17 pm
Ukraine, not planned. Plane leaving Israel on Friday morning was delayed and we had to make the decision to get off the plane and not keep waiting for the next one. We didn't have kids (I was pregnant) and my husband somehow hooked us up with an airbnb and kosher food. It was freezing and kind of lonely but also cool experience.

And kauai but that was planned! A lot warmer and prettier too haha

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 11:26 pm
Athol Kansas by my husbands childhood non Jewish friend

Its sad that this guy knows more about yiddishkeit and Torah than any secular Jew that I know

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 11:43 pm
Lots of great and unique memories, but Antarctica definitely qualifies as the most exotic. I was surrounded by the most beautiful and surreal scenery I've ever seen. The only downside was not being able to join the other passengers on the daily excursions off the ship. The zmanim were also crazy. I think "early Shabbos" was somewhere around 10 pm, and Shabbos wasn't over until 1 or 2 am.

erm

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 12:13 am
Jasper, Canadian Rockies. It was beautiful

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 12:46 am
Cyprus. There’s a lovely Chabad house there.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 1:47 am
We're not huge travelers so being in Dubai for Shabbos. It was really wondering how it would go because we were not near other religious people. But my son flew in a couple days after us so he brought in challah and dips. It wound up being super nice and great family time and we actually really enjoyed walking around as well.

amother
Steel

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 1:49 am
In the ICU. Sad

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 1:54 am
We go away once or twice a year to remote locations. A vacation for us is somewhere you aren't near people so no chance of a minyan and hardly a chance of seeing a Jew. Usually mountain areas. We take a hot tray so we can have warm food. We take along most food.

PSmommy

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 1:58 am
Bozeman, Montana

syrima

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 7:32 am
Calgary, Alberta Canada.
Yes there are Jews there!

essie14

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 7:47 am
Koh Samui, Thailand
We ate at the Chabad Friday night.
We bought food on Friday for Shabbat lunch from Chabad and ate in our house rental.

Jamaica , but not anywhere near Chabad. We brought all our food with us and ate cold cuts for shabbat. Got fresh fruit and veg from the resort.

I've spent Shabbat in random airbnb homes with friends when I was single. If it was driving distance we would bring food and a crockpot and foil pans.

Went to Puerto Rico once, we brought everything with us on the plane, pre cooked and frozen.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 7:55 am
Salamanca, Spain

On Spanish course for 6 weeks, as a single.

Brought a mini-electric-stove. Lived on rice with lentils plus fresh fruits and veggies for six weeks. And eggs, many eggs.
Brought Matzos for ha motzi on shabbos.
Wanted to bring 3 bottles of grape juice, but they got stolen from my suitcase on the plane (long story).
So I made my own grape juice from fresh grapes, with a can of coke to squash them.
Shabbos menues: cold, mainly salads
Shabbos was a bit boring, but OK. I found an Israeli student (not religious), so sometimes we ate shabbos meals together.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics