Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Idea I had
Previous  1  2  3

Aurora

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was thinking about the whole hechsher thing last night. It's funny that a lot of ppl say it would be a deal breaker...If you would be my neighbor you would eat from my kitchen!
I guess it's just anon on a anon forum so ppl are wary...
But maybe I'll call Rabbi Spiegel.

And I really like the idea of a monthly subscription say, for every Wednesday night. Makes my life a little easier:)
I love cooking delicious, heimish, food and have been sending care packages to ppl who are going through medical crisis with a big organization here...so I thought why not make this into a business?

It's more that I get very nervous about trusting anyone once money is on the line.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:45 am
Sunsong wrote:
It's more that I get very nervous about trusting anyone once money is on the line.

Can you explain what you mean by that?

Aurora

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you explain what you mean by that?

That a neighbor inviting me over for a meal is different from a person running a business, especially if I don't personally know them, even though I realize it isn't necessarily accurate. For example, I have a teeeny side hobby that makes money (planning to step it up when my kids are bigger) and have learned that I can only trust people with a contract after getting burned by a frum company.

I also know how hard it is to consider even one more cost when trying to start something like this. Banging head Crying

Mom/Bubby/Morah

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 11:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was thinking about the whole hechsher thing last night. It's funny that a lot of ppl say it would be a deal breaker...If you would be my neighbor you would eat from my kitchen!
I guess it's just anon on a anon forum so ppl are wary...
But maybe I'll call Rabbi Spiegel.

And I really like the idea of a monthly subscription say, for every Wednesday night. Makes my life a little easier:)
I love cooking delicious, heimish, food and have been sending care packages to ppl who are going through medical crisis with a big organization here...so I thought why not make this into a business?

To bypass the hechsher issue or to get started while you are working it out , why don’t you consider cooking in peoples homes as suggested upthread ? Either you bring or order a delivery of ingredients to their house and cook a few suppers to be packed and frozen. They pay for the groceries, you charge a per hour or per meal fee.
It will help get your reputation out there as well. Good luck ! Sounds like a great idea!

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 3:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was thinking to open a business where I would make simple, heimish suppers and deliver them for a good price.

What do you think? Is it a good idea? How much would you pay for such a service?

For ex: a hearty veggie soup with meatballs, spaghetti, salad, and maybe cookies?

Keep in mind you’d need to pay a hashgacha agency. Once it becomes a business there’s halacha ally no longer the idea of trusting someone’s kashrus in place

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 5:52 pm
The business that does it on Instagram is called Suppermade. It's now $95 for a box that feeds 2 adults or 4 children. I live in Lakewood and would love such a business, I've been looking for something like this for a while. As far as a hechsher goes, I'd probably ask my Rav what he thinks.

skyeblue

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 6:40 pm
Sunsong wrote:
I would eat in her kitchen, at any time, and am pretty sure she wouldn't eat in mine.

I said this because I had heard before that a business requires a mashgiach since there may be a conflict of interest for the owner, so I also double checked. It seems this only really applies to a business where the owner is not religious or not Jewish.

Rabbi Moshe Feinstein, Yoreh Deah 1;55), R' Feinstein had allowed mashgichim to trust a factory which says it uses only vegetable (rather than animal) fats, because of the halachic principle uman lo mera umnutei, craftsmen (or tradesmen) won’t risk their livelihood.

The ok further mentions that "According to halacha, a G-d fearing owner is acceptable as a mashgiach over his own establishment. " but doesn't list a source for this halacha. https://www.ok.org/article/ins.....-out/

Shulchan Aruch Y.D. 129:3There is a biblical principle that a single adult Jew is trusted about the permitted status of an object or food. He is not trusted to say something is forbidden. (Sources about where women count the same are varied, but there is on what to rely)

In short, I was mistaken. but this would only be true as long as you were the person doing everything.

I have to agree. I don't know the halacha, but I think there's definitely a difference between the frum owner preparing the food and hired non-Jewish help preparing the food. Not sure this would automatically make it assur, but clearly this could cause issues.

momallhours

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 8:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Rabbi Spiegel from Ridge Area?
My only issue with getting a hechsher is that the cost would be prohibitive and then I wouldn't be able to keep the price low...
But maybe I'll call him. Momallhours, is that the Rabbi Spiegel you are referring to?

Sorry just seeing this now. Yes that one!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics