Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tell me about getting an mri with sedation

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 9:13 am
Dc is scheduled for an mri with anesthesia. How does this work? Do they need help breathing during? Tia

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 9:20 am
My son had one when a newborn. I don't remember it being a big deal at all. He was awake and back to himself a hour or two later. He was on oxygen regardless so I don't know if he would have needed.

bbhem5

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 9:27 am
My son was given medication orally as an infant and fell asleep about 10 minutes later. He just had a pulse ox monitor on his foot and needed no oxygen or any other help. He woke up about an hour after the MRI

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 7:08 pm
Bump
I’d love to hear about process for preschooler

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 7:14 pm
My daughter had ct scans and an MRI done as a toddler...don't recall exactly but around 2-3 years old, maybe again when she was 4ish. It wasn't a big deal. The ct scan was quick, and they just put a gas mask type thing over her mouth that knocked her out. The MRI needed an actual iv and anesthesia put it, but beyond getting the IV in it wasn't a big deal and recovery was quick.

She recently had a ct scan again (at around 6 yrs old) and was able to understand the instructions to stay still and didn't need anesthesia or anything. It was with contrast so she still need the IV tho...

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 7:19 pm
The sedation is really light, it's not like major surgery. They just need the child to be sleepy enough to hold perfectly still while the images are taken. The MRI machine is REALLY loud, and would be extremely scary for a child who was awake. Taking something that makes them have a nice nap during the process is by far the best option.

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 7:21 pm
My daughter had an mri at 5 years old.
She wasn’t able to eat in the morning- only water, possibly apple juice too. When we got to the hospital they had her admitted to an outpatient pediatric wing. She was given a fun hospital gown with bright pictures. There was a childrens video playing and the nurses were very nice to her. I don’t remember how they put her iv in but it obviously wasn’t traumatic. She was asleep within a few seconds and they wheeled her in for the mri. About 45 min maybe an hour later they called me in. They warned me that she would be groggy and might have extreme behavior as the anesthesia wore off. I brought food for her and after she was back dressed she was able to eat right away. I remember on the way home she kept screaming that she was hungry / even though I kept giving her food- very out of character for her. She didn’t act her usual self for the rest of the day but she went out to play in the yard when we came home. By the next day- totally fine. This was a few years ago so I don’t remember everything very well.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 11:07 pm
My 5 year old recently had an MRI. The most difficult part was getting IV. They were very nice about it & explained everything to her beforehand. She was a little groggy after, but totally fine by the time we got home. Was very fast.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics