Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
"Chill" girls high school
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 6:04 pm
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
What about the high school in/ near Washington DC? I forgot what it's called, but know some girls who went there.
May actually be in Silver Springs.

OP again. It's in Silver Spring. Yeshiva of Greater Washington. It's a nice BY type out of town school, but it's geared towards regular kids. That's the school that did not work out for our older daughter. Not the schools fault. So far the place that seems the best fit is Nefesh but I'd like more than one option in case she doesn't like it.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 6:24 pm
I don't have firsthand experience with it, but from what I've heard about Yotzer Ohr in Miami, it sounds like it could be a very good fit if you're comfortable with her dorming there.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 6:28 pm
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
Ateres (monsey)

They are falling apart and I would not recommend them. Speaking as a former parent.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 6:48 pm
Perhaps a side note, perhaps not.

If DD would be staying with or spending a lot of time with non frum relatives in Brooklyn, that would counteract a whole lot of whatever positive influence a school might have, regardless of chill factor.

Has she been to camp and made friends? Would it be helpful to think about her camp friends, and their location? If she's somewhere where she feels socially connected, that would help a lot.

dena613

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 8:29 pm
I agree.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 1:17 am
nicole81 wrote:
Bruriah is an MO school. Just because they're tznius and most of the moms cover their hair, doesn't mean they're between MO and BY. They follow a strong RWMO hashkafa

Manhattan HS follow a BY hashkafa, except that they push academics, college, and learning for the sake of learning much more strongly.

Neither school would be appropriate for a child that needs a laid back environment.

I will say as a Bruriah graduate that (at least in my day, in the final years when Mrs Newman was principal), just because the school had a hashkafa doesn't mean all the girls came from a home that followed it.
There's a reason that the school's rule was 'if you are having a coed party, you may not invite girls from school'- not 'no coed parties are allowed'. There was no ban on coed summer camps, pants out of school, etc.

I don't think it's the right place for OP's daughter, but I also am not holding in girls schools.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 4:05 am
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
Bruriah or Manhattan High. Both are chilled in their hashkafa but very high in academics. I could be wrong (its been a few years) but I think that the more "modern/chilled" schools automatically have high academics too.

Also from what I've seen with friends/family who went to these schools over the years. Every few years there is a turnover in the crowd.

My daughter is in Bruriah this year yes they are a highly academic school but they track and they have a low track. My daughter is not academic she’s there and they offer a lot of help for her it’s a good school. Also they offer a nice amount of all different kinds of extracurricular activities.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 6:27 am
I have a lot of experience with a number of the schools listed here.

For a girl who is apathetic about yiddishkeit, but not struggling emotionally,I would not recommend schools like Nefesh, Mill Basin, Bnos Chomesh etc.

Ateres, as another poster said, is falling apart.

Bruriah does have a van from Brooklyn and many girls coming from more Bais Yaakov schools thrive with the more open minded hashkafa and room for questions. The student body is solid and frum RWMO and many are frummer and and more in to tefillah and tznius than the BY girls I know (not a judgement, just an observation). Some girls do go to coed camps and have boyfriends but the majority go to all-girl camps like Dina and Sternberg. The classes are tracked so there won’t be as much pressure for a weaker student. Relationships with teachers are encouraged. One MAJOR caveat is that it’s going under a lot of transitions and has had a major turnover in staff recently - principals included.

Bnos Yaakov is solidly BY and is also undergoing transitions and has a shrinking student body, but is warmer than the other local BYs.

SKA will have more of the boyfriend/ pants exposure, but what about Shulamith of Five Towns? I know people who are very happy there and it fits the criteria of between Yeshivish and MO.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 6:40 am
I read through the whole thing to see if anyone recommended the school that came to my mind and I see that it wasn’t recommended.
Shevach high school in Queens. It’s about 45 minutes away from Brooklyn. I really don’t think that it’s the right thing to send your daughter to live with not frum relatives.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 12:09 pm
Maybe Lev bais yaakov

TOBonusMomNJ

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:12 am
Hi Mothers,

I'm reviving this thread as it seems to be the most recent information on the topic! I'm wondering if the OP (or anyone else) can update about any of the schools mentioned above? Most specifically BCA (Ohr Nava), Ateres (Monsey), Shalsheles, and possibly the Chabad HS mentioned? Any and all input much appreciated!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics