Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Car seat for 3 year old

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 7:22 pm
What kind of car seat should I buy for a 3 1/2 year old? I'm not sure at what age she can start sitting in a booster seat.

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 7:24 pm
You need a forward facing combination seat. Boosters cannot be used before at least 5 and 40 pounds. And they need to pass the steps to be safe in it. https://thecarseatlady.com/whe.....seat/

amother
Lily

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 8:26 pm
Bump following

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 9:02 pm
You need a convertible car seat still for a while. If you can get one that keeps her rear facing for a little longer, that’s ideal. We use the Nuna Rava which lets you rear face until 50 lbs or 49”. I think the Britax Boulevard and Graco Extend to Fit also have high limits.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 11:37 pm
At 3.5 you can get a forward facing carseat that turns into a booster for later. Sometimes you'll see them called harnessed booster - your kid still needs the harness for a few more years. Yes it's nice to keep them rear facing, but not necessary.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 3:23 am
I’ll post just to give you one response from a different perspective. You can switch to a high back booster at age four as long as your kid can reliably sit nicely in it without unbuckling themselves while you’re driving. Can you hold out a few more months with the old car seat?

https://www.mahwahpd.org/nj-car-seat-law

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 4:05 am
Yes I switched all my kids at 4 years old to a high back booster seat.
They all did just fine in it.

amother
Dill

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 4:48 am
4 is too young for a booster. I’m aware people do what they want and that some laws allow dangerous practices. But these laws are slowly being updated to best practice. Safety wise no child under 5 should be in a booster.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 6:49 am
What is the difference between a high back booster and a car seat? Is there no harness on a booster?

thepickled

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 6:57 am
A booster uses the car’s seatbelt as the straps and just boosts the child’s height to better accommodate their size. So no harness.
You can get a front facing car seat that converts to a booster eventually. I have the Cosco Finale, it’s very affordable and does the job so far.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics