Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
12 year old son bored, negative, emotional

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:48 pm
Is this normal?? 12 year old boy constantly kvetching, always seeing glass half full. Nothing is good enough, always what to be annoyed at, upset about. He says hates everything, school is so boring, and when he gets in bed he cries real tears over the littlest things....like he hates school lunches.
Is this normal preteen behavior??! He has a pretty good life, I think....

Motherhood

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 9:15 am
My seven year old is exactly like this. Someone told me to make it a point of asking him what he is thankful for today. Do this every day and make him see the good. Also, make sure he's not hungry

mamabird73

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 9:22 am
He might be going through puberty. We tend to only associate hormonal mood changes with girl's puberty but they're pretty prevalent with boys as well. I love the concept of teaching him to focus on the positive! In my house we do an exercise called "What Went Well" at dinner time where everyone has to mention at least 3 things that went well that day. The kids live making it into a competition to see who can find the most things. It's specifically helpful for one of my children who's more naturally pessimistic and needs practice to reframe situations for the positive.

amother
Lotus

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 11:49 am
I just want to say that I had a very hard year last year w my daughter. She was acting out negatively in school and home. She didn’t study for tests even she’s bright.
Bh this year it’s a total changeover. She went to camp and matured. She’s not perfect but she’s a more wholesome happier child. We have to try to help them as much as we can but it does make sense that at this age to have such behaviors. May I see much nachas from him !!!!! Hatzlacha on getting thru this rough period!

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 2:29 pm
This does not sound normal. Was he always like this or just this year Is he struggling academically, is he getting bullied in school?

amother
Feverfew

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 2:52 pm
I sometimes think preteen years are like the terrible twos. They realize how much they can control their life but they aren’t in control.

I’d try to just active listen and not try to fix. He prob can solve a lot or feel better from a lot of it of it by talking or just. Let him name his feelings and express his frustration. But don’t give solutions or say will be better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics