Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Freeze chicken on the bone?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 9:13 am
Is that possible??

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 9:15 am
Do you mean chicken from the freezer, to cook it? Why ever not?

bsy

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 9:17 am
Yeah my freezer is full of chicken on the bone

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 9:18 am
Do you mean once it's already cooked? No.

ETA: Unless you take it off the bone and cube it, and freeze it, to be used in a recipe, like chicken pot pie, or something like that.

My mother A"H used to take leftover chicken, chop it up, and add it to a container. When the container was full, she would saute onions, add the chicken, rice, water, and seasonings. She used to put all of this in the pressure cooker, and it created a dish of rice with suateed onions and chicken. I happened to have liked this supper as a kid.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 9:23 am
Chayalle wrote:
Do you mean once it's already cooked? No.
ihave so much chicken on the bone that was cooked, in my freezer. I take it out, add sauce and recook.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 9:33 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
ihave so much chicken on the bone that was cooked, in my freezer. I take it out, add sauce and recook.

Interesting. My own experience with this is not so positive, but I will concur that if you do so successfully, there's a way!

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 9:35 am
Chayalle wrote:
Interesting. My own experience with this is not so positive, but I will concur that if you do so successfully, there's a way!
its always delicious Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 9:38 am
Have you ever looked in the freezer section of your supermarket? It's crammed full of frozen whole raw chickens!

Cooked chicken on the bone won't reheat very nicely, but if you throw the whole thing in a pressure cooker* you can make really amazing, rich chicken stock. The bones are what gives the stock the best flavor. Add any saved up vegetable scraps like onion peels, the ends of celery and carrots, etc. Toss in a bunch of dill or parsley if you like.

Once you're done, strain the whole thing and throw away the solids. The meat will be pretty tasteless by now, because all the flavor went into the water. (You can always give the meat to the neighborhood cats if you're feeling generous, but don't give them any bones!)

*If you don't have a pressure cooker or instant pot, you can always make stock the old fashioned way, in a big pot. Just keep it at a low simmer all day, and check the water level occasionally to make sure it doesn't boil down. Add more water if you need to.

A crock pot will work, too. Set it to high for the first hour or so to kill off any bacteria, and then you can simmer it on low (not warm!) for several hours.

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 9:39 am
I always freeze both raw and cooked chicken on the bone and can’t imaywhy you wouldn’t.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 9:42 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Have you ever looked in the freezer section of your supermarket? It's crammed full of frozen whole raw chickens!

Cooked chicken on the bone won't reheat very nicely,
FF, as I wrote above, I do this all of the time, as did my mother, so often. Freeze chicken when there are too many leftovers. Recook it, on the bone. Add sauce of your choice. Always delish!

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 10:12 am
Funny, we're not so picky and I do cook a lot in advance, e.g. roasts for yom tov, etc. but I don't care for reheated chicken on the bone, at least not for Shabbos. (I'll put leftovers in the freezer for an easy supper.)
What I do is this: prep raw chicken and freeze it. Then allow an extra half hour in the oven. I can't tell the difference.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 10:30 am
In my experience - or opinion Very Happy - the quality of defrosted cooked dishes really depends on the cut of chicken.

Dark meat chicken freezes and reheats really well. Chicken breasts tend to get very dry when reheated but are okay if you are using them in something like a chicken salad or a soup.

If I am cooking and knowing that I will be freezing the results I will select a chicken dish that uses thighs and in a sauce that is part of the dish. These reheat very well just as stews and braises heat very well whereas you don't really want to reheat a good steak or any kind of fish.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 10:34 am
Hmm. Well the reason I’m asking is because my baby only eats chicken on the bone for supper.. and we’re going to be traveling for a few days. What am I supposed to do ? Freeze and reheat in the Betty Crocker? Anyone can think of something better?

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 10:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hmm. Well the reason I’m asking is because my baby only eats chicken on the bone for supper.. and we’re going to be traveling for a few days. What am I supposed to do ? Freeze and reheat in the Betty Crocker? Anyone can think of something better?

The chicken will be safe if you freeze and reheat.

I suspect your baby will be fine with the texture and taste of the reheated chicken - boned or not boned doesn't make a difference.

I was commenting on the quality of reheated chicken that was being served to adults who are presumed to be able to differentiate between well cooked food that is optimum and babies - no insult to babies but I don't eat pureed baby food so my standards are I think a bit different as are my adult family and friends when I feed them LOL

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 10:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I've taken frozen raw baby chicken (which is the chicken thigh, deboned and skinned) and cooked it fresh on a foreman grill while on vacation.

It's a delicious supper served in buns with vegetables and dressing, or with a salad on the side.

ETA prior to "grilling", I toss the baby chicken with a bit of oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder as a marinade.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 10:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Don't worry. I'd do it for the grownups too. 21st century version of roughing it. Have fun!

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 1:24 pm
zaq wrote:
I always freeze both raw and cooked chicken on the bone and can’t imaywhy you wouldn’t.

Uch. Cooked chicken frozen never ever tastes the same after.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 1:40 pm
amother [ Poinsettia ] wrote:

I don't think so either. But it's not bad, and certainly not unhealthy. I'd have no problem doing this for a weekday meal, just not yom tov. And I don't notice with boneles.

GetReal

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 1:41 pm
OP is asking about a baby…

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 1:41 pm
amother [ Poinsettia ] wrote:
Nothing tastes like fresh hot off the presses, but that doesn't mean that frozen isn't good. Of course, our name is Zaqarias, not Feinschmecker.

And you really shouldn't say uch about food, even if it isn't to your fine discriminating elegant taste. unless it's spoiled, in which case it's no longer classified as food and doesn't need to be treated with respect.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen