Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Housekeeper/ Nanny : How does it work?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 7:51 am
I am strongly considering hiring a housekeeper or a nanny to help manage the house. My life has become very overwhelming and I feel that this would be a big help for now. As someone who didn’t grow up with any help , I’m not sure how to do it. How do you find someone reliable? What do you do to train them? What do you do while they are working? Do you feel uncomfortable relaxing or taking a breather when they are working? How do you go about making a schedule for them? What kinds of tasks do they do?

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am strongly considering hiring a housekeeper or a nanny to help manage the house. My life has become very overwhelming and I feel that this would be a big help for now. As someone who didn’t grow up with any help , I’m not sure how to do it. How do you find someone reliable? What do you do to train them? What do you do while they are working? Do you feel uncomfortable relaxing or taking a breather when they are working? How do you go about making a schedule for them? What kinds of tasks do they do?

I have a nanny/babysitter who does childcare and light housework.
- I networked to find someone, posted all over social media, etc. Ultimately, daven to Hashem to help you find the right person. Thats all you really can do.
- I wrote up a light schedule and list of requirements on day 1. I showed her around lightly, and if she did something incorrectly, I showed her how I liked it done. Personally, I tried not to do all the corrections at once. Yes, it took time, but I'm not very confrontational so that was my comfort level. For example how to fold laundry.
I also didn't have her do everything on day 1.

I also made it clear that childcare was my number one priority, because it is.

I usually work while she is working, but she is always encouraging me to go lay down, so rarely I do that, but I really should do it more often!!

No, I don't feel uncomfortable, this is why I hired her. When she goes home, it's all on me!

I made a schedule for childcare and worked everything else around that.

She clears tables and counter from breakfast, empties/loads dishwasher daily.
She vacuums/sweeps daily.
Dresses baby.
Does laundry.
Makes kids beds.
Mops once or twice a week.
Cleans bathroom lightly (I don't know often, I didnt expect that of her and I'm just appreciative she does it)

She would also do food prep but I don't need that.

Dh is unavailable to help at all, and it allg all on me otherwise

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:18 am
I ask for recommendations of referrals from other housekeepers - people who worked for me in the past, people who work for family members. And I try to vet them that way to make sure they are honest, normal, reliable. I interview them and make my expectations clear so we both know what we’re getting into.
I spend a few days at home with her showing her how I like things done and how to care for the kids. I make a schedule of tasks and post that on the fridge so she knows what to do when.
My housekeeper picks up my kids from playgroup/bus and watches my baby while I’m at work. She also cleans my apartment when she’s not dealing with the kids. That includes everything pretty much, but I make it clear childcare is my first priority and cleaning can wait or be delayed if kids need her attention.
I’ve never have a housekeeper prep food but I might do that in the future if it’s helpful for me and she has time. Things like peeling or chopping vegetables.
I don’t love being around when she is cleaning but I have had differing levels of discomfort depending on the housekeeper’s personality. I definitely would prefer not to be home when she is cleaning, which is usually the case anyway. And I grew up with a housekeeper.

Good Friend

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 9:01 am
I have a maid, basically same idea. Where I live most people have at least one maid (unless they are a maid). She cleans up the house while I homeschool my kids in the morning, and takes care of the kids in the afternoon when I work. She also does the laundry, and is available to peel and cut vegetables if needed, but I don't usually ask her to.
I am not usually uncomfortable around her because I'm usually working just as hard the whole time she is, so it's not like I feel awkward lazing around while she's working.
We find her by asking around; she is the cousin of some else's maid who recommended her. We interviewed her, and are so lucky that we rarely have issues with her, that's not common. We've had her for 3.5 years, 5 days a week.
I also never grew up with a maid, but have gotten used to it, and find that my own standards are higher because of it. Like whenever she doesn't come, including weekends I'm constantly cleaning because I've gotten used to a higher standard of cleanliness than I grew up with.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 9:15 am
Do u want live in? I’ve had a Jamaican housekeeper for 2+ years. Pros of Jamaicans are they are great with kids, they will do housework but it’s not their strong point.
If u want the number of an agency I can send u. You’ll get someone very not trained who’s never met a jew before but if ur willing to train it’s good

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 10:52 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Do u want live in? I’ve had a Jamaican housekeeper for 2+ years. Pros of Jamaicans are they are great with kids, they will do housework but it’s not their strong point.
If u want the number of an agency I can send u. You’ll get someone very not trained who’s never met a jew before but if ur willing to train it’s good

You realise there may be IMAs of Jamaican descent on this site? Please don’t make broad generalizations about one specific ethnic group.

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 3:15 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I would be interested please let me know

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 9:39 am
Bumping up this very old thread. Looking for a nanny/housekeeper and would love the contact for jamaican ladies

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 11:02 am
Honestly, the whole Jamaican reference really rubs me the wrong way.

You're looking for a person to help you in your most intimate spaces!!! They also have a tzelem Elokim and a life and real feelings just like you do!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics