Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Best tips for toilet training a boy (almost 3).

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 1:41 am
My son will be 3 in April and I would like to toilet train him then, even though he doesn't HAVE to be toilet trained until the new school year (end of Aug).

I would toilet train him now, but I figured it would be easier in warm weather. Right?

He is not excited about it. I often mention to him "soon you won't wear diapers; you'll go peepee and kaki on the toilet, like Ima and Aba and big sisters" and he always responds negatively like "no" or "I don't want to". If I ask why he doesn't want to, he doesn't seem to know, he'll just say "because I don't want to". Both my girls liked the idea of toilet training, so his reluctance is new to me.

I'm thinking about taking him to the store with me and letting him pick out his own big boy underwear, but I'm not sure he will agree to. I had a friend say when she toilet trained her son, she didn't have him wear underwear at all at first, just pants, so that's an option if he just for some reason doesn't like the idea of underwear.

What are your best tips for toilet training a boy?

Aronov

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 3:31 am
Try the 3 day potty training method.
It's the best.
I did it with 2 of my kids and they were both potty trained at 22 months. And perfected it by the time they were 2 years old.
If done right, it actually only takes 3 days to train.
I'm new to posting replies and don't know if I could attach a PDF booklet.
It's a step by step guide of the process.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 4:50 am
Until he’s ready. You’ll save yourselves so much stress.

Debbig

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 4:53 am
Read the book toilet training in less then a day.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 5:45 am
My heartfelt advice: Wait! It's bad enough that you have to do it for school. There can be so many problems from trying before they're ready, and they'll tell you when they're ready.

It's not surprising that a toddler can't put the problem into words. But there's an emotional leap that has to happen as well as the physical and mental ones.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 5:55 am
How do I know when my child is ready?

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 6:09 am
Best advice I have is to wait. I trained two kids at the very last minute when they were 3 1/2. So much easier and quicker.

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 6:47 am
I was one of those parents who thought I’d be a smart Alec and train my kid early because he seemed so precocious. I’m still dealing with the repercussions and he’s five. With my next kid I am not doing a thing until he actively wants to be trained. There are kids that train quickly at the cue of the parent, mine was not one of them, and I’m not trying that route again. I did the three day thing, my own mother was shocked since all her kids trained easily. No nope and never again.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 6:48 am
Every child is ready to be trained when the mother wants it. People wait too long these days.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 6:56 am
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
Every child is ready to be trained when the mother wants it. People wait too long these days.

SOME children. It's a risk to push it instead of letting the process be child led. It can lead to chronic holding/constipation and other issues that last for years. Children have control over very little in their life except what comes out of their bodies and they know it all too well.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 7:05 am
amother [ DarkCyan ] wrote:
How do I know when my child is ready?

They have the physical control, they can take themselves the bathroom and pull down their pants etc., they are comfortable with the idea of letting their output go away from them immediately, they can stop playing to go the bathroom. Basically have a potty/seat and underwear available and make sure they are aware of what to do and one day they will want to do it. Occasionally a kid might need prompting but not before they're solidly good and ready.

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 8:24 am
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:

That’s what you say when it worked for your kids…
By the way there is research to support that toilet training early leads to earlier eventual success but a much longer process. Toilet training later is quicker but obviously they’re a bit older by the time it’s successful.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 7:01 pm
I am expecting bh and am due when my toddler will be 2 and 8 months. I feel that I must do everything possible to have him trained by then so I can send him off to family dor two weeks without expecting them to change a (relatively) big boy’s diaper. I am so anxious about it but see no way to wait.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training