Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Newborn vaccines- which ones are important?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Clover

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 12:18 pm
amother [ Crocus ] wrote:
You can delay Hep B a lot longer than 2 months. I give all the vaccines on time, with the exception of Hep B. I give that at a visit when the baby isn't getting other vaccines, probably closer to a year.
At 2 months, they are already getting so many vaccines (which are more of a priority than hep b).

Hep B is the only vaccine given at birth and at one month. Its booster is given with others, though.

amother
Crocus

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 12:24 pm
amother [ Clover ] wrote:
Hep B is the only vaccine given at birth and at one month. Its booster is given with others, though.

You don't have to give it then, though. That's what I'm saying. Newborns are not at risk for Hep B, and if you want to give it so that they'll have it for the just-in-cases later on in life, you can give it when baby is about a year old.

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 12:31 pm
You don't have to give it then, though. That's what I'm saying. Newborns are not at risk for Hep B, and if you want to give it so that they'll have it for the just-in-cases later on in life, you can give it when baby is about a year old.

Or as a teenager if really concerned....

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 12:48 pm
amother [ RosePink ] wrote:
Or as a teenager if really concerned....

I was reading this thread without planning on commenting as my kids are long past this stage, but this comment amused me. The idea of "making " a teenager, especially an at risk one get a vaccine makes me think this poster does not yet have teenagers, at least not needle averse ones. I know teenagers who only got vaccines because without them they would not be allowed in the dorms for college.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 4:34 pm
Regarding the eye ointment, in the hospital they usually give it when the newborn is the most alert in those first couple of hours and it significantly impacts his/her ability to look around, connect with parents, etc.
My birthing teacher recommended pushing that off a few hours.

ETA: They routinely test the mother for the STDs that would necessitate eye ointment, and if you're negative, you can skip the eye ointment altogether.

I had a baby in LIJ last january and I said I didnt want baby receiving vitamin k shot or erythromycin. the nurse lied and told me I wouldnt be allowed to take my baby home without them. I was a ftm, weak from a hard labor and bullied into it Sad

there is NO need for a newborn baby to have that gunk in their eyes if the mother is negative for any STDs. most european countries dont give it anymore...

observer

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 4:56 pm
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:
I had a baby in LIJ last january and I said I didnt want baby receiving vitamin k shot or erythromycin. the nurse lied and told me I wouldnt be allowed to take my baby home without them. I was a ftm, weak from a hard labor and bullied into it Sad

there is NO need for a newborn baby to have that gunk in their eyes if the mother is negative for any STDs. most european countries dont give it anymore...

How awful!!

amother
Dahlia

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 5:15 pm

Unfortunately, this is not uncommon in NY hospitals. I’ve heard multiple such stories. This, or the nurse will tell you they won’t do it, and then you see the injection mark on the foot or you can tell that eye drops were given

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 5:20 pm

I denied it by my baby. Dr said it's not a problem. Showed on discharge papers that they did give it

amother
DarkCyan

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 12:19 am
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
Unfortunately, this is not uncommon in NY hospitals. I’ve heard multiple such stories. This, or the nurse will tell you they won’t do it, and then you see the injection mark on the foot or you can tell that eye drops were given

Both Vit K and Hep B are injections given mid thigh. If you see a puncture mark on the foot, they were either checking blood sugar or doing PKU (tests for 11 genetic diseases, IMO this is THE most important medical thing that a healthy looking newborn should have).

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 6:43 am
amother [ DarkCyan ] wrote:
Both Vit K and Hep B are injections given mid thigh. If you see a puncture mark on the foot, they were either checking blood sugar or doing PKU (tests for 11 genetic diseases, IMO this is THE most important medical thing that a healthy looking newborn should have).

I’m sorry, you’re right I meant on the thigh, not on the foot.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 7:36 am
BetsyTacy wrote:
I was reading this thread without planning on commenting as my kids are long past this stage, but this comment amused me. The idea of "making " a teenager, especially an at risk one get a vaccine makes me think this poster does not yet have teenagers, at least not needle averse ones. I know teenagers who only got vaccines because without them they would not be allowed in the dorms for college.

Maybe all our kids should be put on birth control too because teenagers might do inappropriate stuff.

So we all have to give hep b because some at risk teenagers might do stuff?

Especially as newborn? I wonder if it's even effective stillby time they're teenagers.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 10:05 am
amother [ RosePink ] wrote:
Maybe all our kids should be put on birth control too because teenagers might do inappropriate stuff.

So we all have to give hep b because some at risk teenagers might do stuff?

Especially as newborn? I wonder if it's even effective stillby time they're teenagers.

IMO it should be the parents' choice, no one should HAVE to give anything. But I personally choose to, as you don't have to be an "at risk teenager" to have premarital relations. Healthy teens from good frum homes can make decisions which are not in sync with the values they were raised with.

I'm definitely on the very modern side of the dati spectrum, and in my circles it is not uncommon for teens to go OTD but totally intend to only be OTD for a few years, then marry a frum person and raise a frum family.

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 10:12 am
The Vitamin K shot is mandated at birth in NYC. I declined Hep B for my kids but myOB told me the hospital has been known to involve CPS when the mother refuses Vitamin K. Legally they have to give it within six hours of birth.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 11:27 am
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
The Vitamin K shot is mandated at birth in NYC. I declined Hep B for my kids but myOB told me the hospital has been known to involve CPS when the mother refuses Vitamin K. Legally they have to give it within six hours of birth.

Recently, like in the last year or two, refusal of Vitamin K is strongly recommended but no longer grounds for calling in CPS.

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 11:35 am
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:

I believe also if you show them that you have oral vitamin K that you plan to give baby they are more likely to leave you alone. Find some baby safe Vit K and put in your hospital bag.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics