Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Where do they originate from?
Previous  1  2

English3

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 3:12 pm
sequoia wrote:
Does no one understand even the most high school basics of evolution?!

We understand it but we don't believe in evolution. We believe that Hashem created this world over 6000 years ago before that nothing existed the world was vacuum.

dankbar

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 3:46 pm
5782 years ago

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 3:48 pm
English3 wrote:
We understand it but we don't believe in evolution. We believe that Hashem created this world over 6000 years ago before that nothing existed the world was vacuum.

You clearly do not understand it.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 4:11 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
One thing science and religion have in common is not claiming that people come from monkeys.

Indeed.

Do people seriously believe that's what evolutionary theory says?

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 4:12 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Indeed.

Do people seriously believe that's what evolutionary theory says?

Yes they do. You will probably never convince them otherwise.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 4:18 pm
sequoia wrote:
Does no one understand even the most high school basics of evolution?!

You really think BY teaches science? LOL

That's cute.

Maimonides (famously, infamously?) wrote that the story of creation was strictly allegorical. In other words, it's been "dumbed down", because even the brightest human mind cannot comprehend the concepts of what actually happened.

So, if a 2yo child drops a ball, and asks you why the ball went down instead of up, you tell them the ball dropped. You don't tell them the exact equation of how to calculate mass, energy, and the force of gravity.

Rashi also said that the story of creation isn't actually a timeline. It's so that when the nations say "Hashem did not give you the land." you can point to the Torah and show them that Hashem created the world for the sake of Adam and Chava, and their descendants. (PeTA would argue otherwise.) In other words, don't lose sight of the forest by getting obsessed with trees.

In short, you don't know, he doesn't know, and it would be silly for any of us to argue that we DO know. Bereshis is a mystery for the ages, and nobody will understand until 120. We have more immediate things to worry about.

PS: I wish I had sources right now, but all of my seforim are still in boxes from my recent move.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics