Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Vegetarian Shabbat Meals

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 6:16 am
I invited a vegetarian (not pescatarian) couple for Shabbat this week, and am looking for ideas. I have a couple of excellent vegetarian dishes, but I've served them to this couple already, and would like to try something new.

I own an Instant Pot and an air fryer, if that helps.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

DrMom

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 6:26 am
Indonesian vegetarian gado-gado (do they eat eggs)?

Indian food: Dal, sag paneer, aloo gobi, channa, etc.

Lentil soup, some pasta dish?

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 6:33 am
Do they eat dairy?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 6:34 am
If it's Friday night, you can make vegetarian chili with beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, onions, eggplant (optional), and peppers. I spice mine with garlic, chili and brown sugar. Serve over rice and top with tofutti sour cream. You might be able to make this in a crockpot for lunch. Has been a big hit in my house.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 6:46 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
Do they eat dairy?

They do, but I don't own nice enough dairy dishes to serve dairy on shabbat.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 6:48 am
SixOfWands wrote:
They do, but I don't own nice enough dairy dishes to serve dairy on shabbat.

Okay, there is this amazing recipe in the NYT right now, Cauliflower Piccatta. I need to be honest, one of the best things I've made in the past year. I'll be you can used plant-based butter for it.

Amarante

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 11:00 am
SWEET-AND-TART SILAN-ROASTED CARROTS WITH LENTILS

Excerpt From: Faith Kramer - 52 Shabbats

Serves 4 as a main course, or 8 as a side dish

Carrots are symbolic in Judaism of asking for prosperity and for our blessings to multiply. Combined with the sweetness of silan or honey, they make an edible wish for a Happy New Year at Rosh Hashanah.

This dish is bursting with color and flavor, honoring the joy of Shabbat, and is a satisfying plant-based main course. The colorful carrots are roasted in a sweet but slightly tart sauce that brings out their richness, and are complemented with lots of robustly spiced lentils. This protein-packed recipe makes a hearty main but is also a lovely side dish, either served together or separately.

FOR THE LENTILS

1 cup green or brown lentils
3 cups Vegetable Broth (page 197) or purchased
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon paprika
½ cup chopped fennel or celery
½ cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced jalapeño, optional
¼ teaspoon salt, plus more if desired

FOR THE CARROTS

2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the baking sheet
1 cup silan, honey, or agave syrup
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or paprika
⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
1 pound multicolored carrots, peeled, large carrots cut into thirds
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or flat-leaf parsley

TO MAKE THE LENTILS

In a large saucepan, stir together the lentils, vegetable broth, black pepper, cumin, and paprika and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in the fennel, onion, garlic, and jalapeño (if using), and return to a simmer. Cover and cook, lowering the heat as needed to maintain a gentle simmer, until the lentils are tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the salt and stir well. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if desired. Remove from the heat, drain any excess liquid, and set aside while you make the carrots.

TO MAKE THE CARROTS

Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Grease the parchment paper with olive oil.

In a wide, flat dish, whisk together the silan, water, olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, cardamom, cayenne, and cloves. Add the carrots and toss until evenly coated.
Place the carrots in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Set aside any leftover silan mixture.

Lower the oven temperature to 400°F. Roast the carrots for 40 to 50 minutes, or until tender and browned, tossing in the pan juices every 10 to 15 minutes.

Reheat the lentils, if desired, or keep them at room temperature. Add any leftover silan mixture to the lentils and stir to combine. Transfer the lentils to a large serving dish and top with the roasted carrots. Sprinkle with the coarse salt, drizzle with the tahini, and garnish with the fresh mint.

MAKE IT IN ADVANCE: The lentils and carrots can be cooked up to 3 days ahead. Store the lentils, carrots, and leftover silan mixture separately in airtight containers and refrigerate.

Amarante

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 11:03 am
Smothered Cauliflower with Tomatoes, Capers and Raisins

Excerpt From: Christopher Kimball. - Milk Street Vegetables

START TO FINISH: 40 MINUTES
SERVINGS: 4 TO 6

Taking a cue from southern Italian cavolfiore affogato, or “drowned cauliflower,” we brown cauliflower florets, then braise them with tomatoes in a minimal amount of liquid and with a few high-impact Mediterranean ingredients. The combination of savory (capers and/or olives) and sweet (raisins) plus the rich, resinous flavor of pine nuts gives this dish a distinct Sicilian flavor profile. Serve this as a vegetarian main with some warm, crusty bread or offer it as a side to grilled pork chops, Italian sausages or meaty, firm fish such as swordfish or tuna.

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2- to 2½-pound head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into 1-inch florets
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
⅓ cup dry vermouth
4 medium garlic cloves, smashed, peeled and halved
1 pint cherry OR grape tomatoes, halved
¼ cup drained capers OR ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped OR both
½ cup golden raisins OR regular raisins
⅓ cup pine nuts, toasted
½ cup lightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped

1. In a 12-inch skillet over medium-high, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the cauliflower and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until charred in spots, about 3 minutes. Add the vermouth and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds. Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, capers and raisins, then add ⅓ cup water and bring to a simmer.

2. Cover, reduce to medium and cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat as needed to maintain a steady simmer, until the cauliflower is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the pine nuts and parsley, then taste and season with salt and pepper.

Optional garnish: Finely grated pecorino Romano OR Parmesan cheese

Don’t forget to occasionally stir the cauliflower while braising to keep the ingredients from sticking.”

challahchallah

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 11:08 am
Do they eat eggs? If so, that’s a nice way to get some vegetarian heartiness without dairy. This works well parev by omitting the cheese and using a parev milk. I’ve used coconut milk but I’m sure other options would work well too.

www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/hea......html

This is a really nice side dish that also has some protein in it:
https://www.budgetbytes.com/sp.....alad/

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 11:16 am
I serve vegetarians regular Shabbos food and make sure it is plentiful and there are some added plant based proteins. Sample menu:

Friday Night:
Challah with dips (hummus, eggplant salad, onion dip, jalapeno dip )
Minestrone Soup or Vegetable Soup with beans for protein
Roasted Potatoes or Potato Kugel
Green Beans or Roasted Broccoli
Sweet Noodle Kugel or Pumpkin Muffins
Fresh salad with glazed almonds and avocado
Spicy roasted chickpeas
(I'll also make chicken if there are non-vegetarians at the table)

Shabbos Lunch:
Challah with dips
Appetizer - cold fruit soup
Vegetarian cholent
Quinoa with corn and tri-color peppers
Cole slaw
Fresh lettuce salad

cbg

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 11:26 am
My DD and her family are vegan
Whenever she comes for Shabbat I just make a lot of salads and veggie side dishes

Roast veggies seperately:
Japanese eggplant
Mini peppers
Baby Bella mushrooms
Red onion
Zucchini
Then I plate them in lines on a platter

I also make vegan creamed spinach the cream sauce is made with cauliflower purée and nutritional yeast

Roasted cauliflower 3 ways - smoked paprika, zaatar, turmeric

Roasted long stem broccoli with a drizzle of Tehina

You can do stuffed veggies with rice and chickpeas - like This
https://thesaltandsweet.com/ve.....hini/

If you scroll down they have not vegetarian Lebanese food

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 12:04 pm
Quiche with vegetables and eggs

Roasted portobello mushrooms caps filled with quinoa and pine nuts

Meatballs from tofu, mushrooms or quinoa

Gnocchi

Hearty soups

Baby spinach sauté with heirloom tomatoes

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 1:28 pm
Vegan lasagna
Pesto pasta
Gnocchi with tomato sauce and vegetables
Yellow rice with homemade falafel balls as meatballs
Quinoa with roasted veggies

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 1:32 pm
I just wanted to thank everyone again for their kindness in sharing. Even if I'm not making it this week, I'll be trying out many of these suggestions in the future, and thinking of you if it comes out well. (I'll take responsibility for all flops.)

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 1:47 pm
I made this last night and it was very good! From "The New Mediterranean Jewish Table" cookbook:

Moroccan tagine of swiss chard and chickpeas

1/2 cup olive oil
2 chopped yellow onions
2 minced cloves garlic
1 tbs sweet paprika
1 tsp coriander
3 bunches chopped stemmed swiss chard leaves
1/2 cup cilantro chopped
1 cup drained chickpeas
2-3 tbs lemon juice
salt and pepper

In a dutch oven or saucepan, warm olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened. Add garlic, paprika, coriander, and cook two more minutes. Add swiss chard, cover partially, and cook until it wilts, about 10 minutes. Add cilantro and chickpeas, stir well, and season with salt and pepper to taste Add lemon juice. Serve over Israeli couscous.

It wasn't such a huge portion though - basically dinner for me and my husband and then he finished it for lunch today.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking