Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Sweet Challah recipe - but not sooooo sweet.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Feb 15 2022, 5:30 am
I know I can do a search and dozens of challah recipes will come up. But I want to clarify I am looking for sweet challah recipe, but not to the point where it tastes like a dessert. I know this is kind of subjective, but....???

Actually, maybe someone can tell me... if I have a recipe I use and like, but just want it a little sweeter, can I add more honey (the recipe I have doesn't have sugar, just honey) OR add some sugar, without changing anything else (more oil, more water, more flour, etc.)?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 15 2022, 6:10 am
Adding sugar or honey might result in it rising too much.
What should work - I've done it with most recipes I tried - is to use LESS sugar/honey (reduce by 1/4-1/3) and the consistency is still fantastic. Using the full amount always equals sweet to us.
So maybe take the sweetest recipe you know of, and try reducing.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Feb 15 2022, 6:15 am
You can add more honey (or sugar) to the recipe you like, just keep an eye on dough texture and add flour as needed. Too much sugar can be hard on yeast, however, and you might not get as good of a rise. I recommend using a yeast that is specifically formulated for high sugar content doughs, such as Saf gold label.

cholentfan1

Post Tue, Feb 15 2022, 6:46 am
I do for purim a spoonful of vanilla sugar into my regular challah dough for a sweeter taste. It doesn't make a lot of difference, just adds a slightly sweeter flavor. Dough comes out the same as it usually does.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Feb 15 2022, 7:38 am
One person is saying it may rise too much, they other it will not rise enough. Now more confused, lol!
I use Saf instant yeast if it matters.

Ok, I think I'll just find a sweet challah recipe and cut back if needed, as Pink suggested.

Thanks ladies!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 15 2022, 8:22 am
MiracleMama wrote:
One person is saying it may rise too much, they other it will not rise enough. Now more confused, lol!

Ok, I think I'll just find a sweet challah recipe and cut back if needed, as Pink suggested.

Thanks ladies!

I should have said it won't rise well. I was under the impression it might deflate. I will bow to everyone else. Point is less sugar is fine but I don't know how much more sugar would ruin it.

bunchagirlies

Post Tue, Feb 15 2022, 8:33 am
I added sugar to my recipe. works well. I make a 6 pound flour batch. recipe calls for 1/2 cup sugar, and I do a cup.

smile4ever

Post Tue, Feb 15 2022, 8:43 am
My 5lb recipe called for 2 cups I've never put in that much - I do between 1/2 and 3/4c

challahchallah

Post Tue, Feb 15 2022, 8:49 am
MiracleMama wrote:

Thanks ladies!

Do you use the red label or the gold label saf instant? The red label is my go-to for most things, but it really makes a difference for sweet doughs if you can get the gold label to have on hand too. When there’s a lot of sugar in the dough, it pulls the water from the yeast. The gold label is more tolerant to that condition. Here’s a nice article explaining:
https://www.kingarthurbaking.c.....yeast

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Feb 15 2022, 10:31 am
challahchallah wrote:
Do you use the red label or the gold label saf instant? The red label is my go-to for most things, but it really makes a difference for sweet doughs if you can get the gold label to have on hand too. When there’s a lot of sugar in the dough, it pulls the water from the yeast. The gold label is more tolerant to that condition. Here’s a nice article explaining:
https://www.kingarthurbaking.c.....yeast

Thank you for answering my unasked question. I always wondered what the difference is because the packaging just doesn't really tell you anything. I usually get the gold (no reason other than my mind said "gold must be the best") but this time around it was out of stock so I have red.

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Feb 15 2022, 10:42 am
I make a sweet challah recipe every week. It’s with 8 cups of flour and I get 2 very nice size loaves. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of sugar but I use almost a cup. Also, keep in mind that the amount of salt in the recipe balances out the sweetness of the sugar.
(I have a different recipe using 5 lbs of flour. For that I use 2 cups of sugar)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads