Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Food refusal

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 2:56 pm
My six year old refuses most foods. Because this started in late babyhood, my instinct is that there is a medical cause for it, even though it certainly looks behavioral at this point.

Has anyone been there with their child and gotten some answers?

Please don’t say - just give him plain bread at every meal. His behaviors are directly correlated to the food (or lack thereof).

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 3:02 pm
If you follow the holistic mother on Instagram she just did a whole thing on medical causes for picky eating. Mineral imbalances, esp magnesium and zinc, low stomach acid, insufficient digestive enzymes, inflammation, ocd, dysbiosis, intolerances, leaky gut, tongue ties and other oral/jaw facial anomalies, autonomic nervous system dysfunction, thiamine and b vitamin deficiencies are among the top causes. She explains scientifically how each of these will contribute to pickiness. Does any of this resonate? Can you say more about his behavior? Food restriction plus other behavioral issues can be a sign of brain inflammation.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 3:23 pm
OP here.
I’m sure it’s some sort of inflammation of some sort. So then what?
Could this have started in infancy? He refused the bottle too after a summer of nursing. (He nursed fine).

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 3:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here.
I’m sure it’s some sort of inflammation of some sort. So then what?
Could this have started in infancy? He refused the bottle too after a summer of nursing. (He nursed fine).
Any clues as to what happened that summer? Yes, inflammation can start in infancy, or even in utero. Narrowing down what sort of inflammation is going on can help you figure out your next steps. Any clues?

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 3:49 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
If you follow the holistic mother on Instagram she just did a whole thing on medical causes for picky eating. Mineral imbalances, esp magnesium and zinc, low stomach acid, insufficient digestive enzymes, inflammation, ocd, dysbiosis, intolerances, leaky gut, tongue ties and other oral/jaw facial anomalies, autonomic nervous system dysfunction, thiamine and b vitamin deficiencies are among the top causes. She explains scientifically how each of these will contribute to pickiness. Does any of this resonate? Can you say more about his behavior? Food restriction plus other behavioral issues can be a sign of brain inflammation.

Who is this? So impressive

Genius

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 3:51 pm
Maybe if he nursed well but refuses everything else he’s tongue tied?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 4:23 pm
OP here.
What happened that summer was that I was home with him! And then he refused a bottle after and would wait for me to come home to nurse (8 hours).

Could he still be tongue or lip tied if the ENT says he isn’t? And can he be tongue tied if he nursed well too? This was a suspicion of mine based on the shape and thinness of his lips.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 4:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here.
What happened that summer was that I was home with him! And then he refused a bottle after and would wait for me to come home to nurse (8 hours).

Could he still be tongue or lip tied if the ENT says he isn’t? And can he be tongue tied if he nursed well too? This was a suspicion of mine based on the shape and thinness of his lips.

Yes and yes, to answer your questions.

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 4:35 pm
I feel so bad for you and can totally relate. My almost 5 year old is refusing foods and is going to give me a nervous break down.

He refused fish sticks today. He also doesn't eat pizza anymore. Or macaroni without cheese, or with the wrong type of cheese (which meant when I specifically made lunch that I thought he likes on Sunday he still refused to eat it since I used shredded mozzarella and cheddar). I mean, I kinda gave up on chicken, meatballs etc., but what do I do with a kid who refuses pizza?????? He eats pancakes, yogurt, cereal, macaroni with American cheese....I try to make super kid friendly meals a few times a week so we should have some meals without screaming and refusals (hence the fish sticks tonight) and I still end up wanting to bang my head into a wall...

I'm at the point where I hate feeding my child.

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 4:37 pm
I would look into a feeding therapist

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 4:44 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Yes and yes, to answer your questions.

What is your experience with this?

He has an appointment for a feeding eval but this is dragging on and I’m getting antsy.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 4:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here.

Yes. He could be lip tied too. You need him evaluated by a very knowledgeable dentist or myofunctional therapist.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 4:53 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Who is this? So impressive
the.holistic.mother on insta

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 8:33 pm
amother [ Outerspace ] wrote:
I feel so bad for you and can totally relate. My almost 5 year old is refusing foods and is going to give me a nervous break down.

He refused fish sticks today. He also doesn't eat pizza anymore. Or macaroni without cheese, or with the wrong type of cheese (which meant when I specifically made lunch that I thought he likes on Sunday he still refused to eat it since I used shredded mozzarella and cheddar). I mean, I kinda gave up on chicken, meatballs etc., but what do I do with a kid who refuses pizza?????? He eats pancakes, yogurt, cereal, macaroni with American cheese....I try to make super kid friendly meals a few times a week so we should have some meals without screaming and refusals (hence the fish sticks tonight) and I still end up wanting to bang my head into a wall...

I'm at the point where I hate feeding my child.

This is so frustrating but sooooooo normal! I think most mothers struggle with kids being notoriously picky. If not all then most of us have at least one! I also have a 4 yr old who hates pancakes, French toast things most kids love. For breakfast she wants plain matzah Banging head
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers