Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Chose playgroup over school? Additional playgroup year?

newinbp

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 8:37 pm
Recently heard of some playgroups and mother's in boro park who choose to send their nursery aged kid (3+) to playgroup for an additional year instead of to a school, and then they start school in kindergarten. I've never done this and was curious what are the pros/cons? Why would someone choose this when financially it's almost always more costly to send to playgroup again, no? Unless I'm missing something. Does the kid still gain everything they'd get from a proper nursery class? If it matters re.gender I'm asking for a girl who would be nursery age in the fall k"h. Are there any disadvantages to this approach? I guess it sounds kind of nice in some ways just totally new/foreign to me so figured I'd look into it. Good shabbos Smile

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 8:50 pm
I did this with my oldest. I wasn't ready to deal with the school system yet. She started school at 4. I don't regret it but I don't think I gained anything going that route.

For the rest of my kids, I started school at 2. It's a small, warm school.

Schools have an advantage of after care.

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 8:59 pm
I don't know BP but here we have Kindergarten then Pre1A. The year before Kindergarten everyone send to small preschools. I think that even if the elementary school had a class for the preschool age I wouldn't send. My kids are on the younger end for their class and the anxious type. Going on a bus at that age would have been traumatic. The school itself is HUGE! A small preschool by us has 1-4 small classes. Very warm and homey feeling. The one I send to is specifically more of a playgroup/Mommy type and my kids thrive there BH.

bsy

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 9:47 pm
Not every school has a nursery.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 9:54 pm
Not every school has a nursery. The age 3-4 playgroups are usually a nursery curriculum.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 10:00 pm
newinbp wrote:
Recently heard of some playgroups and mother's in boro park who choose to send their nursery aged kid (3+) to playgroup for an additional year instead of to a school, and then they start school in kindergarten. I've never done this and was curious what are the pros/cons? Why would someone choose this when financially it's almost always more costly to send to playgroup again, no? Unless I'm missing something. Does the kid still gain everything they'd get from a proper nursery class? If it matters re.gender I'm asking for a girl who would be nursery age in the fall k"h. Are there any disadvantages to this approach? I guess it sounds kind of nice in some ways just totally new/foreign to me so figured I'd look into it. Good shabbos Smile

My kids all go to real school the grade before first grade- kindergarten/pre-1a/primary, whatever you want to call it. I don’t know about the cost in BP, but where I live it’s cheaper to send to playgroup for another year. My kids have always been ready for school.

newinbp

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 10:01 pm
Really? Oh I guess I can't think of a school that doesn't have a nursery 3 year old class in my neighborhood. Maybe that's what drives people decisions. I was just wondering if it's more beneficial in some way for the child. Thanks all for your answers!

newinbp

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 10:08 pm
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
My kids all go to real school the grade before first grade- kindergarten/pre-1a/primary, whatever you want to call it. I don’t know about the cost in BP, but where I live it’s cheaper to send to playgroup for another year. My kids have always been ready for school.

It's definitely more expensive to send to playgroup that 3-4 year than to nursery in my neighborhood. In fact the 2-3 playgroup year is also expensive bh. Schools seem to have more structured tuition and not as much. So you also sent to playgroup the 3-4 year?

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 10:18 pm
Could be smaller, warmer, homier. And I'd imagine cheaper too (unless you have headstart or something subsidized like that... (not from NY)).

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 10:33 pm
newinbp wrote:
It's definitely more expensive to send to playgroup that 3-4 year than to nursery in my neighborhood. In fact the 2-3 playgroup year is also expensive bh. Schools seem to have more structured tuition and not as much. So you also sent to playgroup the 3-4 year?

Yes, I sent them to playgroup when they were 3 and 4. They all went to school after that. Actually, my youngest went to UPK, but she had the same curriculum as my other kids who didn’t.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Fri, Feb 18 2022, 8:33 am
newinbp wrote:
Really? Oh I guess I can't think of a school that doesn't have a nursery 3 year old class in my neighborhood. Maybe that's what drives people decisions. I was just wondering if it's more beneficial in some way for the child. Thanks all for your answers!

The schools here all HAVE nursery and pre-k, that doesn’t mean I have to send.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers