Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Is this a normal thing I should have?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

octopus

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:03 am
SixOfWands wrote:
People here hug whatever they disagree with, just to be passive aggressive. See, eg, https://oukosher.org/blog/cons.....ater/

I've heard the psak, but its not something that we hold by. CYLOR.

Same

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:33 am
When I lived in NYC I had a psak to filter. My brother had a psak he didn't have to, and we liked joining them for meals. So then we got a psak that once the waters mixed into something (like cooked) it is ok to eat unfiltered since it can't be filtered at that point. But we had to drink filtered water. Fortunately they preferred filtered water for drinking so it worked.

Now we live in NJ and don't filter anymore. My father in law came to visit for a while and mentioned he doesn't like sink water and only drinks bottled. So the next time I placed a grocery order I added in a bunch of bottled water (the huge ones) to last his stay

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:21 am
Dear OP

A number of years ago a psak came out (took a while for all to be on board but ultimately most rabbis across the gamut agree), that some areas of NYC (Brooklyn etc) needed to be start filtering the water due to copeds which are visible to the naked eye.

This was ultimately an accepted psak across the many flavors of kosher keeping homes.

This was deemed a basic kashrus need and not a chumra.

Of course, ask your LOR and see what he holds and follow advice,

We use the under the sink filter. Easy to change twice a year and no bothering with the”EZ” filter on the tap that needs constant changing and affects the water flow.

PS: I've always liked NYC tap water. Known as one of the best out there!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 10:44 am
I don't want to give details because I prefer to be anonymous but I did ask a Rav and he said it is not a psak our Rabbonim have agreed to. They did not asser it. My guest and most of my guests are from the same sect as us.
When I asked the question I had NO iDEA about a halachic issue, I would never put money or inconvenience as a priority over halacha.
Honestly I was asking about taste or health reasons (the reasons why people I know have filters) that someone has a preference, if this is something I should be accommodating.

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 12:43 pm
https://www.amimagazine.org/20.....mick/

is this true?

is there a diff between bottled water and filtered water?

what is distilled water?

if I buy a filter does it filter out the good too and leave it dead as someone previously posted?

which filter is best for filtering chlorine and lead?

not asking for kashrus but for healh.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 12:51 pm
Rabbi Belsky held the water was OK to drink but most other poskim said it is not. We do not drink the water. The hardware stores in boro Park sell pieces that go on the sink to filter it. Costs about $10-30 depends on which one. If I were being your guest however I would deal with my kashrus issues and not put expectations on my hosts.

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 1:16 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Rabbi Belsky held the water was OK to drink but most other poskim said it is not. We do not drink the water. The hardware stores in boro Park sell pieces that go on the sink to filter it. Costs about $10-30 depends on which one. If I were being your guest however I would deal with my kashrus issues and not put expectations on my hosts.

A very prominent chasidish posek from Brooklyn also held that the water was ok, and no need for filter. So as we see it’s not necessarily a psak across the board for all.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 1:24 pm
This is an old thread but I only drink bottled or filtered water not because of kashrut but because of the taste. I can’t stand the taste of unfiltered tap water. If I am a guest I make sure to bring along in case they won’t have bottled or filtered.

fmt4

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 1:30 pm
Never drink tap water. I have a water dispenser plus bottled water. Everyone I know has a filter or dispenser.

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 1:32 pm
fmt4 wrote:
Never drink tap water. I have a water dispenser plus bottled water. Everyone I know has a filter or dispenser.

diff between dispenser and filter?
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics