Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Anxiety in Israel

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 4:49 am
Dd6 has always been a somewhat anxious, very sensitive kid. Also warm, loving, sweet, wonderful. Anyway, I was hoping she'd grow out of it, but I'm getting a bit anxious about her anxiety.

She just had her interview for first grade. She was definitely beyond petrified. It's not even like I was nervous- this isn't a hard school to get into, and dd has a bday at the beginning of the year and is brilliant! So I just said how exciting, she'll be starting first grade! But she was scared!

The beginning was an oral test by a very sweet, smiley morah in a small office. She didn't want to say her name but then warmed up and answered everything and did great. Then she had to go "get a prize" by the vice principal. It was a big, fancy office and she wanted to sit on my lap, and the VP spoke sternly to her about being a big girl now. So she started crying (just a drop weepy). Then the VP asked me if she's always like this (I didn't know what to say! She is often, to some extent) and how she did by the morah. B"H I was able to answer honestly that she did great there and must be intimidated by the fancy office! Then the VP decided to smile and speak more sweetly (B"H!!) and dd answered nicely and got her prize and we left.

So one thing I am wondering is if her being shy and nervous by this stern VP was really so off the charts weird for a 6 year old in a big school for the first time.

But more importantly, dd does seem to have quite a bit of anxiety in other areas of life, too, and I'd love to help her if possible. How does one deal with this in Israel? Through the pediatrician? Some other route? Would love some guidance! Thank you!

DrMom

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 5:27 am
Are you sure she really has anxiety?

I mean: an interview for kindergarten? Srsly?

Many, if not most kids would be very shy about that sort of thing. How intimidating.

Why conduct an interview with a 5-year-old in an office? Why not someplace with toys and dolls, or outdoors?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 5:36 am
DrMom wrote:
Are you sure she really has anxiety?

I mean: an interview for kindergarten? Srsly?

Many, if not most kids would be very shy about that sort of thing. How intimidating.

Why conduct an interview with a 5-year-old in an office? Why not someplace with toys and dolls, or outdoors?

Well that answers my first question and is very good to hear, so thanks for that! The VP made it seem like she's never seen this shyness before!

In terms of dd generally, she definitely has a more anxious personality. I told ds7 that dd6 has an interview for first grade. I was like "dd6 has an interview for first grade tomorrow, isn't that exciting! I know she'll do great!" And he was like "Yeah, her only problem is she's always so scared..." They are best friends and play together all the time- we joke that he's her play therapist because he's somehow able to help her relax and play normally a lot of the time, even when she wants to be hysterical about something (like falling down or getting a paper cut!).

But no, I'm not sure she "really has anxiety". That's what I'd love to figure out how to find that out and possibly help her with it if applicable and possible.

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 7:16 am
Perfectly normal IMHO
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers