Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Biggest surprise from your high school class

muminmich

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 4:07 pm
Just for fun
What was the biggest surprise from your high school class decades later? For example the girl who struggled with academics and probably had undiagnosed dyslexia who became something academic...
The one who always said she never wanted to get married(total feminist) and then got married and is a happy housewife with the most kids etc...

Mom/Bubby/Morah

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 7:57 pm
The girl who wore tight clothing , had looong hair and loooong red nails who runs a Kirov seminary and does amazing work with girls who are struggling.

TravelHearter

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 8:58 pm
I’m just a few years out but it makes me so sad that a classmate who is such a solid, good girl got divorced. She is the sweetest person, and they got divorced within a couple of years of marriage. I know it happens to people, but it just makes me so sad. She was always the girl I admired from afar.

6000miles

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 8:58 pm
Me lol! the girl that listened to bad music and hung out with the wrong crowd, the one who was dropped by all her friends bec I'm a "shikse" (that's how they referred to struggling teens in my community)
I didnt do anything "bad", just things out of my community norms, which gave me a bad name in school.

Now live in Israel and lead a super chassidish life and my husband is in Kollel 5 years, with 2 kids...

PSmommy

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 9:18 pm
So this is not high school. It's seminary.
A girl from my seminary class is now married to my brother.
We weren't super close in seminary. We just had mutual friends.
But I never would have predicted this because they both went through their own journey before finding each other. (But I was the one who suggested it when the right time came)

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:21 pm
Probably me Smile
But anonymous posting is disabled .

Blessing1

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:25 pm
The most popular girl, that was the teachers pet and also the class bully, is nebach not having an easy life.

happy chick

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:30 pm
The girl in my class who came from a super frum background, graduated as validictorion, is now running a program for people who want to "go OTD". It's so sad.

fbc

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:31 pm
A girl in my class who really couldn't handle school is now a biomedical engineer in Israel 😲😲😲

Java

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:31 pm
The 2 girls who were part of the 'elite' popular clique that had everything going for them that had broken engagements

Aurora

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:32 pm
cnc wrote:
Probably me Smile
But anonymous posting is disabled .

Me too.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 7:02 pm
Haha probably me too Wink

Odelyah

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 7:09 pm
I have a feeling Talia/Julia L's classmates in Monsey would say that about her Sad I think she was at the top of her class..she went to BJJ. (Sorry to bring her into this.. but I can't stop thinking about her unfortunately...)

Rubies

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 7:36 pm
For some reason I find this concept distasteful.

Almost as if people consciously choose their upbringing, challenges and circumstances and we get to analyze and contrast where they were and where they are now, in the false point system of life.

Checking out.

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 8:04 pm
Rubies wrote:
For some reason I find this concept distasteful.

Almost as if people consciously choose their upbringing, challenges and circumstances and we get to analyze and contrast where they were and where they are now, in the false point system of life.

Checking out.

IDK I was expecting this thread to be more inspirational/encouraging... most of the things I think about as surprises are when the people I didn't especially notice or who didn't seem to have much going for them turned out to achieve great things once they weren't defined by their role in the school system. Life success just doesn't correlate that closely with school success. I do know a lot of people successful in both school and life, but there's all kinds.

iyar

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 8:13 pm
seeker wrote:
IDK I was expecting this thread to be more inspirational/encouraging... most of the things I think about as surprises are when the people I didn't especially notice or who didn't seem to have much going for them turned out to achieve great things once they weren't defined by their role in the school system. Life success just doesn't correlate that closely with school success. I do know a lot of people successful in both school and life, but there's all kinds.

I get what you were expecting but in reality it’s just as likely people you didn’t especially notice achieved great things as it is people you noticed and envied ended up in bad situations. It works both ways. No one could have predicted in high school which direction our lives would take. It’s interesting looking back but it doesn’t always make for a great conversation.

Raisin

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 1:41 am
I don't think there are any major surprises in my (small) high school class. Most people are leading happy and productive lives bh. Everyone has their own journeys - some got married later, some got divorced, some got remarried.

yc

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 2:57 am
one girl who struggled terribly in school, never succeeded and never looked put together got a masters in social work and now has her own clinic.

enjoying kids

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 4:23 am
seeker wrote:

Goodness, how are you to judge someone's life success?

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 5:03 am
That 17 years later I'm in touch with two girls from high school one of whom I had known since 6 years old. And that high school was not as important as they told us it was going to be.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics