Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Gemachs
Please advise- is it worth it to take over a gemach?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 8:21 pm
for those of u that run gemachs (not clothing, it doesnt take up alot of space. think jewelery or sheitals)... someone I know asked if I could take over her gemach for her...

I have a small baby and work FT
does anyone here run a gemach that doesnt take up so much of their time?
cons? benefits/?

I want to weigh all options before agreeing.

im nervous- what if im not good at it. what if this dies down after a few months?what if it isnt successful?

amother
Seablue

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 8:22 pm
Why don't you ask the person you would be taking it over from how time consuming it is.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 8:38 pm
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:
Why don't you ask the person you would be taking it over from how time consuming it is.

she doesnt do anythign for it bc shes so busy thats why she wants to give it to someone who can be on top of it, take appts for women to try on sheitals etc

amother
Lily

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 8:44 pm
I had a Gemach and I stopped it ( think chairs type ) people took advantage. They never showed up when I asked them to. Kept the things way longer than was allowed. Would call at 11:30 at night and beg that they needed right then etc. I not the strict type and I got burned to many times.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 8:45 pm
I run a table and chair gemach. Doesn't take up time really. Feel free to ask me any questions you have.

amother
Holly

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 8:59 pm
I love running my gemach. Yes, I do have those people who don't return, or take advantage in other ways, but it is still very rewarding for me. Doesn't take up too much time so I don't know how I'd feel if it did. All gemachs are different. Don't think about not being good or anything like that. Just give it your all, think about the zechus, if you truly want to do the chessed - you can do it.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 6:15 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I run a table and chair gemach. Doesn't take up time really. Feel free to ask me any questions you have.

Hi,
I'm looking for a table and chair gemach in Lakewood?
Are you in Lakewood? if yes would love to have your contact info

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 6:18 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Hi,

I am in Monsey

jflower

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 6:34 pm
OP, if you're working full-time and have a baby to take care of where are you going to find the time to run this gemach? I don't think there are enough hours in the day.

This would be a perfect project for someone who has some free time.

I'm sure it's a very worthwhile cause but you can't run yourself ragged doing too many things at once. Hatzlocha whatever you decide.

happytobemom

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 6:35 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Hi,

You're looking to borrow from one? There are numerous listed in the Lakewood Directory.

Last edited by happytobemom on Thu, Feb 17 2022, 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 6:39 pm
jflower wrote:
OP, if you're working full-time and have a baby to take care of where are you going to find the time to run this gemach? I don't think there are enough hours in the day.

I'm sure it's a very worthwhile cause but you can't run yourself ragged doing too many things at once. Hatzlocha whatever you decide.

Doesn't necessarily have to run her ragged. There's night time. I work almost full time and have 6 children ba"h and run mine happily without it being an issue. People come in the afternoons or nighttime. It's very nice for my children to see me dealing with it and to be a part of it. Again, mine doesn't take too much time, it really depends on the nature of the gemach, but it's a beautiful thing that can add a lot to your life.

tillyost

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 6:48 pm
happytobemom wrote:
You're looking to borrow from one? There are numerous listed in the Lakewood Directory.

I just moved to Lakewood and don't have any directory. Mind helping me?

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 6:51 pm
jflower wrote:

Mine doesn't take much time. Ppl call me and I arrange pickup time and dropoff time. Not such a big deal usually unless I have some super picky ppl that want to check them out beforehand or can't make up their minds over what they need. IMHO the worst is when ppl drive you crazy, reserve a ton and then tell you the day of they don't need it...that gets me super upset

happytobemom

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 6:53 pm
tillyost wrote:

pm-ed you
Let me know if you need other numbers, or specific areas of Lakewood
Hatzlacha!

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 6:58 pm
tillyost wrote:

732 -

Chairs

363-2943/370-9923/901-6055/901-6167/942-7761/

364-1317/363-6730/730-8464/364-9125/279-5572/

886-2176/703-1816/886-7677/909-580-8701

Chairs and Tables

367-2559/363-5767/370-0720/367-1620/370-0436/

886-5999/370-2296/886-0658/905-0044/886-8892

(see tables)

Tables

961-9651/901-6167/886-1088/886-5779/901-1945

(see chairs/tables)

Gemach list : http://www.hakhel.info/gemach-.....ewood

salt

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 3:06 am
amother [ Holly ] wrote:
Doesn't necessarily have to run her ragged. There's night time. I work almost full time and have 6 children ba"h and run mine happily without it being an issue. People come in the afternoons or nighttime. It's very nice for my children to see me dealing with it and to be a part of it. Again, mine doesn't take too much time, it really depends on the nature of the gemach, but it's a beautiful thing that can add a lot to your life.

Exactly. It depends on the nature of the gemach.
If you think you'll have 20 people coming each afternoon, it might be a bit much.
If it's more like 2 per week, then what's the big deal.

And if it does build up and start getting busy, you can rope in other volunteers to take over some hours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics