Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
High prescription/sons glasses keep breaking...tips?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 7:40 am
my son has a high prescription such that even the cheapest store/frames cost a lot bec the eyeglass store says for arnd 3 or up, the lenses cost a lot more.

my insurance covers arnd $100 every 2 yrs, but I just used that up and still had to pay out of pocket extra. my 11 yr old son got his glasses in aug 2021 and broke one side piece a few weeks ago bec the ball knocked it off and he stepped on it bec didnt see it....

then today he put it on a chair watching it and someone startled him so he sat on it broke the other side...

in the past, I got goggle type glasses but although that solves the problem with side pieces that they cant break, the lenses kept popping out of the goggle glasses so this was a different problem

anyone can relate/have solutions or do I just need pay almost $300 and think of it as hashem wants me to lose $??

tia

tryinghard

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 7:47 am
Have you tried Zenni or one of the other online glasses sites? I have had a lot of success with them.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 8:01 am
tryinghard wrote:
Have you tried Zenni or one of the other online glasses sites? I have had a lot of success with them.

thank u so much for replying.

I didnt try zenni and ill look into it, but I did get glasses online for very cheap once for him and then I realized that how do I know im getting the correct prescription as theres more chance for fraud online.

if I remember correctly, wen I went to the opthamologist, they checked his prescription and it wasnt correct in the glasses I got online??

srbmom

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 8:07 am
Dh and I both have a very high prescription and I've been getting glasses for us from Zenni for the past few years. We've each gotten about 4 pairs from them and have been very happy. Read the reviews on the frames you choose because some seem to be a cheaper quality than others, and if your son is prone to breaking them you'd be better off with a sturdier frame. I used to spend close to $400 for a pair of glasses and can now get ones for around $60-70

dragoneye126

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 8:11 am
I have a very high prescription and use Warby Parker for glasses. With the special lenses it comes to 150-175, depending on the style. They are online and have stores, too. I’ve always been happy with my glasses from them, and the lenses are always accurate.

mommish613

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 8:15 am
Don’t glasses come with insurance for a year? We were able to get free replacements many times and they use the same lenses

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 9:58 am
That is so frustrating! I have multiple kids with high/complicated prescriptions like bifocals that need to be measured correctly and can't be ordered online so I hear you! Last time my DC "side peices" broke soon after getting new glasses, the optician actually recommended I buy only new "temple" pieces (arms). It was around $30 and came as a set so a few months later when the other side broke, we already had the piece we needed. Depending how the glasses broke, it may be a very cost effective option.

Another option is to look into brands such a zoobug and miraflex. My kids wore them when they were younger (till about first grade) and the frames were virtually indestructible (like went through the washing machine etc). I am not familiar with their selection for older kids but I'm sure they have something that would be appropriate for pre-teens (though it may not be as indestructible as the infant/toddler ones, they may be better than "goggles" or what he's currently wearing)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 11:24 am
I would buy glasses with a warranty.
Or buy cheaper frame, but buy 2 at once, so you have a second pair ready. If it breaks- you have an exact replica and eyeglasses store just needs to take the expensive prescription lenses out of one frame and put it into another. No need for new expensive lenses.

Dini

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 11:36 am
The glasses definitely have a warranty, even if it was stepped on, which you don't have to tell them. You should go back to the store you bought them from and they should replace them, it will probably cost you about $20
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics