Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Food has gone up a ton
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

shayna82

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 2:05 pm
cut out the things you can live with out, make less egg based products, no more yogurt, no more cottage cheese. one meat/chicken meal a week, one fish and two milk dinners.

no nosh, no unecessary food items. recession time is not a fun time.

raizy

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 12:36 am
no u got it wrong. where I live its cheaper to have a meat chicken dinner then a milk dinner. yougarts are expensives. so is bread and milk and eggs.

so I have more chicken dinners a week then milk dinners.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 12:38 am
raizy wrote:
no u got it wrong. where I live its cheaper to have a meat chicken dinner then a milk dinner. yougarts are expensives. so is bread and milk and eggs.

so I have more chicken dinners a week then milk dinners.

I know yogurt got more expensive (ok it didn't, just they kept the prices the same & made the containers smaller). but your bread & eggs are more expensive than meat? is it because of crossing the border?

zigi

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 9:00 am
if you buy a case of eggs its a lot cheaper. butt you have to have the room to store it.

bread could be 3$ and milk is 2.79 for a half gallon a pkg of chicken is the same price in nyc

loveit

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 10:51 am
mimivan wrote:
I do editing for financial bloggers and a HUGE factor behind food inflation is the U Government's rush to get into ethanol. Farmers are receiving huge subsidies to grow corn, food is being used for fuel and acreage once v reserved for other crops is being reserved for growing fuel. The result: food shortages and higher prices. What you can do? Write to your congressman and ask him or her to vote against the government ruinous policy and to speak in favor of developing other more efficient forms of developing fuel, such as solar, wind and uranium..

Ethanol is terribly inefficient and not a clean fuel, anyway..even natural gas is better.

Stepping off my soapbox for now. Very Happy

Exactly, and it's so frustrating because no one is willing to admit that they were wrong so now so much farmland is going towards fuel instead of food. Did you know that it takes 400 pounds of corn to create 25 gallons of Ethanol?? That's enough corn to feed one adult for an entire alone!! It also doesn't help that the gov't is currently gving subsidies to farm corn for fuel so farmers would rather do that than grow wheat and ther commodoities, causing their prices to go up.

cdawnr

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 12:10 pm
Is this a crazy idea? I was thinking of getting another freezer off of Craigslist and buying a bunch of bags of flour now before the prices rise again and just storing htem int he freezer (to prevent bugs) and maybe other products that I can just stock on...

Its a whole year until Pesach, after all

curlyhead

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 11:22 pm
Till receently I did not buy yogurt as it was so expensive. But now I started making my own yogurt- still not so cheep to make weekly but alot cheeper then store brought.
Ideas to keep your food bill down:
-Make a price book
-Buy in bulk and split with family and friends
-Calculate the cost of meals and snacks per serving. I.e I try to send to school snacks under $50c a serve. Make a price limit for meals I.e. $10.
-try to make a meal using what you have in the house and not goind out to buy naything
-more homemade food -Homemade pizza, applesauce, etc...
-cook in bulk and freeze for those busy days
-Drink more water and less other drinks.

amother

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 2:06 am
Thank G-d pesach's over and we can use beans and grains again. I hate shopping right after pesach b/c I have to buy things when they're not on sale. but what am I gonna tell the fam--pb&j for supper till pasta goes on sale?

Pesach I bought what we needed and tried not to think about the prices. ds kept saying how everything was 'skimpy', but I'm wondering if we haven't gotten used to too lavish a table? Neither my bubbie nor my mother served 2 kugels, 5 salads, an appetizer, 2 or even 3 desserts, and two main courses for a Yt meal, which is what my kids have come to expect, esp. with company. I grew up on soup, 1 kugel, chicken, a salad, maybe a cooked veggie, and one dessert, usually canned fruit. plus chopped liver or gefilte fish if we had company. prices being what they are, we may have to go back to the old ways. I hate to cut back on veggies 'cuz the kids never eat enough of them, but when 4 medium peppers come to $3 and change, and two apples cost nearly $1...

mimivan

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 2:37 am
we're feeling the pain even here in E.Y. Compounded with the fact it is shmitta year, and our family eats just imported veggies...I try to make more "veggie efficient" dishes like veggie soup and kugels (stretches the veggies). I wanted to make juices and ices, but I don't think I can spare the fruit!

The price of bread has really gone up. I've started making my own bagels and tortillas (family prefers that to reg. bread) as well as lasagna noodles because they are now 20 shek a box! (nearly seven bucks!) of course the price of flour is also skyrocketing, but at least it is cheaper to make these foods than buy.

I also want to know how to make my own yogurt and pudding (have recipe for pudding)..

What can I say? It is not that I have time to do all this cooking from scratch, but I just can't stand paying these prices. On top of that the dollar is falling...b'h I don't freelance for Americans much anymore...my dollars don't go very far..

Tamiri

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:22 am
Mimi, I made 'cream" cheese from yogurt even in the States. I have a flexible plastic funnel lined with mesh, but you can use a funnel lined with a paper towel. Pour the yogurt into the funnel and let the whey drip down into a receptacle. You can leave it as long as you want, the longer the thicker.
What I don't understand is why you would want to make this in Israel, where we have gvina levana. This, essentially, is the end product after draining yogurt, except that the yogurt cheese is tarter.
I don't think you will save anything by doing this, as opposed to just buying gvina levana. Yogurt is expensive.

mimivan

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:30 am
Yeah (I was actually discussing cream cheese on the other thread... on this one I wanted to know how to make the actual yogurt)

Yesha says she uses the gvina levana 9% for cream cheese, so I'll ask her iy'h more about the recipes she uses for cheesecake. Saves the trouble of straining it...you are right

creativemommyto3

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:39 am
mimivan wrote:
we're feeling the pain even here in E.Y. Compounded with the fact it is shmitta year, and our family eats just imported veggies...I try to make more "veggie efficient" dishes like veggie soup and kugels (stretches the veggies). I wanted to make juices and ices, but I don't think I can spare the fruit!

The price of bread has really gone up. I've started making my own bagels and tortillas (family prefers that to reg. bread) as well as lasagna noodles because they are now 20 shek a box! (nearly seven bucks!) of course the price of flour is also skyrocketing, but at least it is cheaper to make these foods than buy.

I also want to know how to make my own yogurt and pudding (have recipe for pudding)..

What can I say? It is not that I have time to do all this cooking from scratch, but I just can't stand paying these prices. On top of that the dollar is falling...b'h I don't freelance for Americans much anymore...my dollars don't go very far..

how do you have time for these things when you work so much?

Tamiri

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:48 am
mimivan wrote:
Yeah (I was actually discussing cream cheese on the other thread... on this one I wanted to know how to make the actual yogurt)

Yesha says she uses the gvina levana 9% for cream cheese, so I'll ask her iy'h more about the recipes she uses for cheesecake. Saves the trouble of straining it...you are right

Think shmear cheese (3%, 5%, 9% etc.) instead of cream cheese (27%?). I love making Israeli cheese cakes with 5% cheese. First, it tastes like cheese and is so much lighter and easier on the stomach and thighs than, U.S. style cheese cakes.
I just asked our Israeli food group for a good cheese cake recipe without lots of patchka. We'll see what they come up with. The one I currently use came off the big container of Gvina LeAfiya 5% and only has like 5 ingredients in it. Very easy and good.

mimivan

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:59 am
Great! I'd love to see these recipes! Literally counting the days to Shavuos Very Happy (but this was supposed to be on the cheescake thread maybe?)

Tamiri

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 6:36 am
Mimi, come and join israel-food-subscribe@yahoogroups.com so you can see the responses yourself. You can also ask questions, lots of good frugal cooks on the list.

mimivan

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 7:11 am
Okay!
Great idea, thanks

zigi

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 8:59 am
costco can really be worth the money they have 8 boxes of pasta for 8$ and the dips they have thee like 6$ for chumous but it can last a really long time.

I read on msn. that peppers really went up in price and that they are easy to grow from a container.

LisaS

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 12:29 pm
After shmitta I wonder if I could learn how to plant some veggies in our yard...

ShanaMatele

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:23 pm
mimivan wrote:
I do editing for financial bloggers and a HUGE factor behind food inflation is the U Government's rush to get into ethanol. Farmers are receiving huge subsidies to grow corn, food is being used for fuel and acreage once v reserved for other crops is being reserved for growing fuel. The result: food shortages and higher prices. What you can do? Write to your congressman and ask him or her to vote against the government ruinous policy and to speak in favor of developing other more efficient forms of developing fuel, such as solar, wind and uranium..

Ethanol is terribly inefficient and not a clean fuel, anyway..even natural gas is better.

Stepping off my soapbox for now. Very Happy

My sentiments exactly.
I support safe nuclear energy.

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:29 pm
Well as long as it doesn't come to this:
Quote:
Somalis Riot Over Food Prices

They're also rioting due to not being able to use somalian cash.
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/s.....90001
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics