Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
What age to sleep on bunk bed

flowergirl2

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 2:05 am
Would you put a 6 year old to sleep on the top bunk?
She moves around a lot in her sleep. It will have a gate of course.

Spaghetti7

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 3:58 am
flowergirl2 wrote:
Would you put a 6 year old to sleep on the top bunk?
She moves around a lot in her sleep. It will have a gate of course.

My boys moved up to top bunks at around age 5 and then higher loft beds (really high gates) at age 8. Make sure the gap between the top rail of the gate all around and the mattress (really depends on style of bunk bed you have) is closed enough that she can't slip through it (even partially) if she's moving around. We have crib-bar style gates on our bunkbeds to make it extra safe. I heard a scary story of a kid slipping between the rail and matress on a bunk and being found (b"H alive and still asleep) hanging by his chin! Not trying to scare you but just to be safe.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 8:52 am
We started at 6/7.
What does moving around mean? Lots of turning? That's fine. Moving from head of the bed to food of the bed? That I'm not sure about.

flowergirl2

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 1:31 pm
There's no gap in the gate big enough to fit through. She moves from head to tail lots of times sits up. That's what I'm nervous about. Right now it's 2 separate beds. But I really need the space

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 3:16 pm
If she moves from head to tail, the bar has an opening at the end to get up and down, so that doesn't sound great for her situation.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 6:35 pm
The Consumer Product Safety Commission states that a child must be at least 6 years old to sleep on a top bunk. Be sure to buy a model with side rails that run the full length of the bed, not a pretense of a rail that guards only the center three feet and leaves over a foot and a half unguarded at each end.

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 8:10 pm
My kids sleep on the top of ikea Kura since age 2... if they can climb up then they can sleep there... why not
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries