Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
ISO Food pantry info - Kew Gardens Hills

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 5:38 am
I know there are a couple of food pantries in KGH. Has anyone used them? What can you tell me about them? Thanks!

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 7:36 am
Kehillat-has hours on their website.
Sign in with your phone number. Then walk with a shopping cart down the row and someone offers each item. You say yes or no.
Sometimes almost no one there, sometimes lines around the corner.
There's always some produce, which needs to be checked right away because it can be damp, moldy, or spoiled. (not always, just you want to check it) potatoes and onions they usually have. A couple of canned things like beans fruit vegetables. Sometimes eggs flour fish. Bags of beans peas or lentils. Rice pasta. Sometimes healthyish snack like nut bars.
No way to know what will be offered each day. Each visit needs to be at least one week after the one before. Sometimes there's a lot of stuff, sometimes there's a box of provide, a bag of peas, and a can of tuna.
Almost everything is kosher, but you need to check.
ETA: it's not income based and the rabbi encourages all frum people who can benefit to come-even if you aren't starving and can afford your own potatoes. That's why I've only been to this place. The other place I know of, is also open to all, but I don't know of they really only want those who NEED to come. Kehillat wants you to come and there's plenty of food for everyone.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 7:39 am
Do they have extra things to give out before shabbos or yomtov?

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 7:44 am
amother [ Papayawhip ] wrote:
Do they have extra things to give out before shabbos or yomtov?

Before RH, kehilat gave an extra little box with a small oil, honey, apples, matza ball mix. That's all I know of. And you can only go once a week and they're closed Fridays, so there's no "before shabbos"

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 7:35 pm
Thanks for the info on Kehillat. Do you know if certain days of the week or times of day are better to go?

Does anyone know anything about the other place (I believe it's run by Chazaq) ?

Thanks

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 5:22 am
Bumping in case anyone can give me info on the other food pantry (I think it is run by Chazaq)

TIA

sarahph1

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 5:36 am
I think it’s open to anyone
Just give them a call they’ll tell you everything

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 5:28 am
bump

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 5:39 am
718-285-9132
Call them they will answer all your questions

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 5:59 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
718-285-9132
Call them they will answer all your questions

Part of what I want to know (but would be embarrassed to ask) is what they give out and what they calculate as to who gets what. It's not that I wouldn't try them regardless of the answer (I'm sure I can put nearly anything to some use), but I want to go in with realistic expectations so I don't get disappointed.

(Also, their entrance is right by Main Street - if I'm going to be standing outside where everyone can see me and know that we are struggling that much, I'd like to at least know that I'm likely to come out with something that will make the embarrassment worth it).

embarrassed Hiding

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 6:02 am
Ya
I hear you it’s no fun having to wait in that line out in the public but im almost for certain that anyone can go
And if u call them and ask what they give out it’s completely annamous they don’t ask u for ur name….
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries