Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Good Beginners Cookbook

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 2:34 pm
I'm looking for a good cookbook to start with. I have kosher by design short on time and all the recipes look really complicated. Are there any easy to follow cookbooks out there?

dewyt

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 2:45 pm
the purple spice and spirit
easy
breezy
beautiful
FOOD

Seraph

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 2:51 pm
kids cookbooks if u need really easy

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 2:54 pm
I second the vote for the Purple Spice and Spirit. Its foolproof. I have never had a recipe fail from that book and everything is so well explained, too.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 2:56 pm
In addition to S&S, I'd recommend Kosher by Design Kids in the Kitchen.

Last edited by Crayon210 on Tue, Apr 29 2008, 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Helani

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 7:39 pm
Spice and spirit
Quick and Kosher: recipes from the bride who knew nothing

Raisin

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 7:51 pm
another vote for the spice and spirit. Also it is really comprehensive - it has everything, pretty much every type of "jewish" food with many variations often, plus most typical american foods and lots more besides. cookbooks like the kosher pallette etc are very nice, but they do not have recipes for 30 types of kugel, 20 types of chicken, kishke, italian meatballs, dozens of desserts etc It even has a recipe for Calves Foot Jelly! (just in case...you never know Wink )

bashinda

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 9:19 pm
and even for making cottage cheese. Never used it but also you never know.

Yes I also love my purple cookbook. It's falling apart though after almost 7 years of use, B"H.

The only thing I would change is they use margarine at times where I wouldn't but that's simple enough to change. And for a beginner cookbook it's perfect because, like Raisin said, it's so comprehensive. There's a thread somewhere about people's favorite recipes from this cookbook so if you do get it give that thread a look.

May your kitchen be filled with the smells and tastes of yummy cooking and may you serve your families many meals to nourish them! hatzlacha!

red sea

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 9:36 pm
purple spice & spirit

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 10:24 am
I also like Spice and Spirit, but Fresh from the Kitchen is more of my "go to" book, especially for regular weekday cooking.

Lani22

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 11:52 am
I think if you take the time to learn the more complicated recipes from KBD after a few trys the recipes will seem easy to you. I was always a bit critical of KBD cookbooks- all the recipes seemed soo complicated and the ingrediant lists soo long, but I took the time to make a few and they really came out delicious and now I breaze through them with no problem.

OldYoung

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 1:07 pm
purple spice and spirit!! was a lifesaver when I first got married. my mil bought it for me when she heard I didn't have it:)

the kbd recipes aren't too complicated, it's usually the ingredients (and sometimes time) that throw me!!

MrsLeo

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 1:19 pm
I actually tried a recipe from KBD short on time last night (Moroccan meat turnovers) and it instead of it taking me the 20 minutes that they say it takes to make, it took me about 2 hours but it came out pretty good.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 1:33 pm
You cannot use her timing to determine how long a recipe will take. The recipes assume that everything is fully defrosted/chopped/measured/ready to go. And she is extremely comfortable in the kitchen. Those two factors alone can give anyone skewed results.

poemmom

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 4:51 pm
Classic Kosher Cooking by Sara Finkel -- I have a zillion cookbooks and this is the best one ever. Very basic, and always comes out well.

I don't love Bride Who Knew Nothing -- too many strange specialty ingredients in everything that aren't necessary.

bashinda

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 6:22 pm
I'm also not too keen on the ingredients. Unless the KBD series uses less puff pastry?

chaylizi

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 6:51 pm
bashinda wrote:
I'm also not too keen on the ingredients. Unless the KBD series uses less puff pastry?

she uses more phyllo dough than puff pastry- it's fancier!
how about Quick & Kosher, Spice & Spirit & (my personal favorite)
The Family Fun Cookbook. There's always Betty Crocker's classic red binder cookbook.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 1:07 am
poemmom wrote:
Classic Kosher Cooking by Sara Finkel -- I have a zillion cookbooks and this is the best one ever. Very basic, and always comes out well.

I just got this one too and I really like it!

Another tip is call up any day schools or bais ya'akov schools in the area and see if they have done a cookbook. I find the best recipes (especially for everyday cooking) in those types of fundraiser books. Plus they are not expensive and you are supporting a good cause.

bashinda

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 9:17 am
chayalizi: I think you've just pointed out why I'm not so big into her cookbooks. I don't need fancy. I like things to look appetizing and taste great but I'm not into fancy. I also don't use much of puff pastry dough (or phyllo dough).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics