Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Polio Vaccine for the Unvaccinated
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 11:24 am
Please keep to the question at hand:

If someone is currently unvaccinated because they are opposed to it. With polio being found in Israel, what's the best thing to do? How effective is one dose of IPV? Since the second dose can only be given four-eight weeks later, is there even a point in giving one dose? For someone who is antivax, OPV is too scary since it's live.

I would love to hear from respectful posters who are capable of seeing gray and can provide nuance, not extreme views either way.

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 11:28 am
I am not sure but I believe that the child who caught polio was indeed vaccinated. It was possibly shed from a live vaccine. The parents gave an interview however I did not hear the audio. So all of these people racing to get vaccinated may not have the real facts.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 11:30 am
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
I am not sure but I believe that the child who caught polio was indeed vaccinated. It was possibly shed from a live vaccine. The parents gave an interview however I did not hear the audio. So all of these people racing to get vaccinated may not have the real facts.

It was definitely shed from a live vaccine. All these people racing to get vaccinated with OPV will likely increase the outbreak since it will continue to shed and spread. So what's an unvaccinated person to do now?

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 11:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It was definitely shed from a live vaccine. All these people racing to get vaccinated with OPV will likely increase the outbreak since it will continue to shed and spread. So what's an unvaccinated person to do now?

Nothing. If you were anti vax before why on earth would you get vaccinated now.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 11:35 am
In the future, have your child vaccinated as normal medical data advises, and you won't be in this position.

I know this is different, but when there was polio found in the sewage about a decade ago in EY, people got the live polio drops as backup, and I don't know anyone who actually got polio. And the entire neighborhood was at tipat chalav, the rov of our neighborhood was very clear that we should do it. so it wasn't a minority.

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 11:36 am
2nd dose of IPV can be given 4 weeks after the first. I would get the IPV.

Eta. I'm pro vax and I would not get the OPV. IPV only.

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 11:50 am
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:

From what I heard the child was unvaccinated.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 11:52 am
amother [ Cadetblue ] wrote:

I know this is different, but when there was polio found in the sewage about a decade ago in EY, people got the live polio drops as backup, and I don't know anyone who actually got polio. And the entire neighborhood was at tipat chalav, the rov of our neighborhood was very clear that we should do it. so it wasn't a minority.

This is reassuring. Thank you.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 11:55 am
amother [ Wandflower ] wrote:
2nd dose of IPV can be given 4 weeks after the first. I would get the IPV.

Eta. I'm pro vax and I would not get the OPV. IPV only.

One dose of IPV is about 50% effective in infants, not sure about older kids or adults. This is still better than nothing, but not very protective. It seems like this is the best option right now.

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 12:19 pm
The child was unvaccinated.

Unvaccinated are at high risk now and even if you were against it this is one that shouldn't be optional. There is a high risk for your kids NOW.
Get it. Do the full vaccination amount - I dont know the schedule for catchup but dont stop just because it seems calm or you dont hear any more cases because it can pop up randomly like this.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 12:21 pm
amother [ Candycane ] wrote:

Unvaccinated are at high risk now and even if you were against it this is one that shouldn't be optional. There is a high risk for your kids NOW.
Get it. Do the full vaccination amount - I dont know the schedule for catchup but dont stop just because it seems calm or you dont hear any more cases because it can pop up randomly like this.

I don't need hysteria thankyou. I do know the catchup schedule which is as posted in my OP. Hence my question.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 12:23 pm
Another question should this be a concern only for those who live in Israel or should we assume it will spread, like every other disease originally found in Israel?

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 12:31 pm
Polio exists in nature, and is often found in the water supply because it lives in fecal matter. It's found all over the world.

Most people who get it will have no symptoms at all, but a few will get very sick and some will die. There is no cure. The reason thousands of children aren't dying is because they have been vaccinated. Vaccines are our only defense against polio.

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 12:34 pm
amother [ Cadetblue ] wrote:
In the future, have your child vaccinated as normal medical data advises, and you won't be in this position.

Have you learnt nothing from covid and the cdc corruption going on? There are many many reasons I don't just blindly trust "the normal medical data," unfortunately having firsthand experience with a child who regressed post vaccines.

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 12:36 pm
I didn’t read the whole thread, but as a vaccine cautious person (not anti-vax, but a person who heavily researches each vaccine and understands that not all vaccines are recommended for the good of the individual), I will just say that there is no polio vaccine with a live virus since 1995. I don’t know anything about this case, but he couldn’t have caught it from a vaccine (unless Israel still uses live vaccines)
There are still 3 countries in the world where polio has not been completely eradicated

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 12:39 pm
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
I didn’t read the whole thread, but as a vaccine cautious person (not anti-vax, but a person who heavily researches each vaccine and understands that not all vaccines are recommended for the good of the individual), I will just say that there is no polio vaccine with a live virus since 1995. I don’t know anything about this case, but he couldn’t have caught it from a vaccine (unless Israel still uses live vaccines)
There are still 3 countries in the world where polio has not been completely eradicated

Israel has been giving OPV which is live since 2013. As a vaccine cautious person, I would love to hear WWYD.

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 12:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Israel has been giving OPV which is live since 2013. As a vaccine cautious person, I would love to hear WWYD.

So what I would do is give the polio vaccine.
If the virus is found in a first world country, I would definitely give it. Polio is one Illness where the pros GREATLY outweigh the cons, and the ingredients in the vaccines are not terrible, just don’t mix with others!

It’s also an older vaccine, which generally means it’s a more important one (not going to get fully into that now)

A great book for anyone who is looking to learn more about vaccines (both pro and con!) is the vaccine book by dr Robert sears

And there is nothing wrong with learning about major chemicals that we put into our body!!

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 1:13 pm
amother [ Candycane ] wrote:

This is a miss information. The child was fully vaccinated as per the father.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 1:30 pm
How about homeoprophylaxis?
It was used during the measles outbreak

juggling

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 1:42 pm
amother [ PlumPink ] wrote:
This is a miss information. The child was fully vaccinated as per the father.

I don't know. Official sources in the health ministry say the child was not vaccinated.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics